D&D 5E Optimization targets by level

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm playing around with a few character builds that I'm doing a good amount of focus on all of the pillars, and I want to see if they have stayed competitive in combat.

Measuring crowd control of buffing is hard, but we should be able to put numbers to how sturdy someone is, and how hard they deliver attacks. Single target attacks vs. AC are straightforward - DPR, for which we need to know a target AC per level. Sturdy I'm picturing as a reverse DPR - if we have an average foe attack bonus and damage, we can work out against our character how long it would take to kill us.

So the first half of what I'm asking is: Is there a resource showing average AC, attack bonus, and damage per CR? (Bonus: Also average HPs by CR, so we can work out turns to kill foes.)

But from there, how to compare it, we'd need comparison numbers. What's a good way to compile "average", "optimized" and "maximized" numbers?

Thanks for your attention.

mellored

Legend
The DMG has those numbers.

And in 4e char-op, we settled on kills per round of an equal level monster as a scaling metric. As well as something like an average of 1 target every 20' for AoEs, with a bonus for being friendly. So fireball might count as 2.5 times it's normal damage. Or 3x if your a evoker.

Remove ads