• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Optimizing Greenflame Blade

aarduini

Explorer
It should totally work with Warcaster, as long as there is no secondary target in range. Very useful for Swashbucklers who use GFB as a means of getting off-turn sneak attack damage. I think that I'm going to work that into my Belmont build. This is what I have so far. Just think Captain N-era Simon Belmont...

Weapon: Whip
AC: 19 (Half-plate + Shield)
GFB + Sneak Attack + Superiority Dice: 1d4+9d6+4d8+7, 21-97 (59 avg)

Why is your Superiority 4d8?

Boom Blade has turned out to be a cantrip that shares almost all of the same synergies as GFB, except for one. There isn't a Draconic Sorcerer that grants +Cha to thunder damage. However, BB can be used with Twinned Spell, something that GFB cannot use due to being able to target multiple creatures. At 4 SP total, you have a 5-attack horde clearing combo at 6th level via Quickened GFB, Twinned BB, and Action Surge on a F2/S4 character.

How's that better than a Fireball?

mellored

Legend
I wonder how well an Arcana cleric would do with this cantrip?
Fairly well. They get armor and shields, so being in melee isn't as risky. And potent cantrip will apply to both initial and secondary, though i expect this to be errated. Dip for shillelagh helps MAD.

4d8+wis+wis = 28 (first target)
+4d8+wis = 23 (second).

Fireball:
8d6 = 28 + half on miss.

So probably equal to a 2rd or 3th level spell.

Coyote81

First Post
V-Human Feat Great Weapon master (Great Maul)
Spell-less Ranger(Hunter)5 DragonSorceror6 Runescribe2

-GWM (for -5/+10 effect, won't use BA option unless GFB is not worth it
-Ranger maneuvers:precision Attack and Sweeping Attack and extra attack option
-Sorc for Haste spell, GFB and Sorcery points for quicken. At Level 6 adds CHA to fire damage to GFB damage
-Runescribe 2 for Fire and Earth runes (Have both weapon buffs in affect)

Start by using your GFB BA, make an attack on each character (Expending Superiority die if needed to hit with precision), fire rune lets you reroll damage, if you roll max damage you also prone the target from the earth affect. This makes the rest of your attack this turn have advantage. All other attacks also have fire traits and reroll damage from fire rune affect. (You also use sweeping attack from the weapon attack on this move if you didn't use precision attack)
From here you make your standard action attack on the main target and sweeping attack each time with superiority dice
Finishing with Hasted standard attack with sweeping attack if you have enough superiority dice. You also get an attack on the 2nd target from the hunter horde breaker.

This totals for 4 attacks against the main target with GFB extra damage and 1 normal attack and 4 sweeping attacks (most likely) and GFB extra damage against a 2nd target within 5ft. Most of these attack have a chance to have advantage from proning.

What do you think?

Haste yourself. This gives you 2 normal attacks (each one triggers sweeping attack), 1 hasted attack (also triggers sweeping attack) and a quickened Green-Flame Blade (which hits two targets and the 2nd target also gets sweeping attack) For a total of 4 hits on the main target and 5 on the 2nd target as long as everyone is within 5ft.

Last edited:

Not bad, but it's also heavily dependent on UA material, aka OP by initial design. Plus, it takes a while to put all of the pieces together. It's a steep climb behind the curve for not as much payoff.

Coyote81

First Post
Not bad, but it's also heavily dependent on UA material, aka OP by initial design. Plus, it takes a while to put all of the pieces together. It's a steep climb behind the curve for not as much payoff.
The UA ranger can be a battlemaster instead, but then you lose the hunter's horde breaker attack but don't need any UAs to complete the build.

Remove ads