• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Optional rule for dying.

tburdett

Explorer
Here is an optional rule for handling character death.

When a character's hit points are reduced below zero he begins to die.

Each round that the characters hit points are below zero he is required to make a Fortitude save to stay alive. The DC for the Fortitude save is the number of hit points below zero that the character currently is. A failed Fortitude save results in death.

Even if the Fortitude save is successful the character continues to lose 1 hit point per round until healed or stabilized.

If the player rolls a natural 1 when making the Fortitude save, the character takes the standard 1 point of damage per round from dying plus an additional 10 points of damage.

However, if the player rolls a natural 20 when making the Fortitude save, the character stabilizes. There is no additional roll to stabilize.

There is no limit to the number of negative hit points that the character can have as long as he continues to make his Fortitude save.

This rule makes it harder to kill characters with high Fortitude saves, which in my opinion, is how the game should be.

This rule also adds a level of uncertainty to the process of dying. It is never safe to assume that you've got a certain number of rounds to get to a character because you never know when a player may roll a natural 1 and go from just barely dying to drawing their last breath.

Good, bad, indifferent?

(edited for clarification)

Last edited:

Rybaer

First Post
Sounds like it'd work fine. I would suggest that you allow for a chance of stabilizing without medical attention, however. Perhaps if they beat the saving throw by 10 or more...not only do they not die, but they no longer have to make saves unless more damage is taken. Alternatively, just keep the standard 10% chance to stabilize each round - if failed, then go on to the saving throw.

Overall, it's probably a bit more fatal (for low-mid level characters)...but that may not be a problem depending on your style of play.

tburdett

Explorer
It should be a little clearer now that I've edited it. They character dies when he fails the Fortitude save. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads