'Origin' of Your User Name

I spend several years surviving in the wilderness of South Holland with the Brabant people, who gave me this name, which roughly translates to "He who inspects floors really well".

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Shroompunk is my life's work, both trying to reinvigorate higher-level cosmic play in the OSR, and a meta-setting that's designed to feature and emphasize that playstyle by marrying good old fashioned Appendix N blood and thunder with Super Mario Bros and Masters of the Universe.

Warlord is to differentiate me from the other Shroompunk, who seems like a pretty cool artist but isn't related to my work at all.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Er... I'll give you a hint... "its in my name"
;)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

PS: Bonus...I often use "Plum" and "Plum_Fun". Basically, my initials but 'spoken as a word'; "PLM"...say it out and it sounds like "Plum". And Plums are purple; I like the colour purple. :) I also use "Denakahn" on some other forums...my highest level PC ever, a 20th level 1e Magic-User grey elf.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Most people assume it is based on SnarfQuest, the Elmore comic that was a mainstay of Dragon Magazine in the 1980s, combined with Zagig Yragerne after he ascended to godhood (ZAGYG!), thus making me an insane zeetvah.

Those people would be wrong! It is, in fact, a tribute to Roland Barthes.

CapnZapp

Legend
I don't remember exactly except I can refute the connection to Futurama, a show I was not yet aware of at the time.

If I had to guess, I took my inspiration from Snoopy the WWI ace fighter and Spiff the Spaceman.

Davies

Legend
Apparently it derives from the anglicized name of the patron saint of Wales, St. Dewi (aka St. David.) UK sources, and most Canadian ones, pronounce it "day-VIZ"; American sources, and my family, pronounce it 'DAY-veez', which is how the name 'Davis' is pronounced in the UK and Canada. I sometimes find the implications of that fact disturbing.

My best friend once told me that I would be happy staying at the top of a mountain with all the animals, hence "hermit." And forests are green, so when somebody had already claimed "Hermit," I added the green part as well.

Elf_flambe

Explorer
My group hadn't been playing 1E D&D very long. We entered a room with stairs descending to the floor of the room, where a red dragon was curled up on his pile of treasure. The monk whooped and rushed down to start whacking it on the nose. Staying on the balcony, my elvish fighter/magic user started preparing a spell. The inexperienced DM decided he would roll a die to see who the dragon attacked, to be fair. My number came up, and the dragon breathed on my low-level character. Hence... Elf flambe!

Remove ads