[ot] anime suggestions for those who dislike anime

For adult anime try Grave of the Fireflies. Heres the writeup from DVD pricesearch:

" "Why do fireflies die so young?" Orphaned and homeless, two children set out to survive on their own in post-World War II Japan. But in the face of a society that is no longer able to help them, they begin to realize that they can never escape the hardships of war, or even find enough food to survive. Awarded First Prize as Best Animated Feature at the 1994 Chicago Internation Children's Film Festival."

Note this is not a film for children and even most adults will end up weeping. Very powerfull, and very good.

More lighthearted try the Lupin stuff. It has some adult themes like but is mainly comical.

Edit: To add movie synopsis.
Edit take Two: Just noticed this got an award at a childrens festival. This is in NO way a childrens film IMO. Please don't show it to children unless you really need to show them the horrors of modern warfare.

Last edited:

PenguinKing

First Post
Roland Delacroix said:
This is in NO way a childrens film IMO. Please don't show it to children unless you really need to show them the horrors of modern warfare.
Don't you get it? No serious adult watches animated shows - all animated material is for children. There's no such thing as "mature" animation - adult themes in animation are at best misguided, at worst wildly innappropriate content that gets in the way of the kiddie appeal, and should never be taken seriously as anything but.

- Sir Bob.

Last edited:

Tsyr

Explorer
PenguinKing said:
Don't you get it? No serious adult watches animated shows - all animated material is for children. There's no such thing as "mature" animation - mature themes in animation are just "innappropriate content" and should never be taken seriously as anything but.

- Sir Bob.

Interestingly enough, I just finished writing on this concept as a very long paper for college a few days ago.

PenguinKing said:
Don't you get it? No serious adult watches animated shows - all animated material is for children. There's no such thing as "mature" animation - adult themes in animation are at best misguided, at worst wildly innappropriate content that gets in the way of the kiddie appeal, and should never be taken seriously as anything but.

- Sir Bob.

Penguin, why do you have to [EDITED]* troll on this thread. I got some interesting titles from here and now you are gonna make it degenerate into a screaming match. Please just shut up and post if you have something constructive to say.

And Tsyr, I don't give a damn about your paper. If you are really interested in that topic please post on your own thread instead of fouling up this one. Ok i lied, I am interested in your paper :p but please, take this to another thread. I'd love to read it.

I for one intend to ignore both you trolls and hope this thread doesn't explode into flame because of you. I hope everyone else does likewise.

More adult themed, ahhh, Princess Mononoke? About mankinds relation with nature, could be for either adults of kids i guess.

* see my post below - Nemm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tsyr

Explorer
Roland Delacroix said:

Penguin, why do you have to be a jacka$$ and try to troll on this thread. I got some interesting titles from here and now you are gonna make it degenerate into a screaming match. Please just shut up and post if you have something constructive to say.

And Tsyr, I don't give a damn about your paper. If you are really interested in that topic please post on your own thread instead of fouling up this one. Ok i lied, I am interested in your paper :p but please, take this to another thread. I'd love to read it.

I for one intend to ignore both you trolls and hope this thread doesn't explode into flame because of you. I hope everyone else does likewise.

More adult themed, ahhh, Princess Mononoke? About mankinds relation with nature, could be for either adults of kids i guess.

Uhhhh... wtf?

PenguinKing

First Post
Roland Delacroix said:
Penguin, why do you have to be a jacka$$ and try to troll on this thread.
What I just said is so blatantly sarcastic in tone that anybody who takes it seriously was probably looking for an excuse to start a flamewar anyway. :p

- Sir Bob.

Neowolf

First Post
I generally detest anime, but at a (now former) girlfriend's behest, I watched Princess Mononoke and both Vampire Hunter D movies, and I've gotta admit enjoying all three thoroughly. As far as the VHD movies go, I thought the second one was much better than the first (much better animation, that's for sure).

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Okay, everyone take a deep breath. Feel better? good

PenguinKing said:
What I just said is so blatantly sarcastic in tone that anybody who takes it seriously was probably looking for an excuse to start a flamewar anyway. :p

- Sir Bob.

PK, I'm afraid I have to inform that there is no such thing as "blatant sarcasm" on the internet.

Roland, and I have to inform you on what you already know, that name-calling and using alternate letters to to curse at people is not allowed here.

So let's all just have fun and talk about anime (which I by the way, hate. . . I did love Princess Mononoke, however).

Moe Ronalds

First Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for Anime series and or movies I should review? I'm doing a project on Anime for humanities and I'm going to try and review at least 5 series and or movies. I don't have money to buy anything new, so maybe those kind enough should tell me what would be interesting for a group of 12-13 year olds to hear about. I've seen...

Gundam Wing
Princess Mononoke
Naussica and the Valley of the Wind
Warriors of the Wind (same as above, but this is the english version)
Kiki's delivery service (and yes, I do like Hao Miyazaki (don't insult my spelling)'s stuff)
DBZ (like any other brain dead 13 year old boy)
Sailor Moon (I was an odd 10 year old...)
Pokemon (See above)
Digimon (see above)
Ceres (don't know the full name, only saw 3 episodes)
Revelutionary Girl Utena (friend made me watch a few eps)
Slayers

I may also be able to goad my friend into lending me "My Neighbor Totoro"

Last edited:

Remove ads