[ot] anime suggestions for those who dislike anime

Chun-tzu

First Post
If anyone told me they hated all anime, I'd say they haven't seen the right one yet. It's like saying that they hate all movies. Anime encompasses such a broad range of stories that it's not just a genre, it's a medium.

Ninja Scroll just ROCKS. One of my all-time favorites. The action scenes are as good as anything you will EVER see, in any kind of movie. But it's not for the squeamish. This is the movie that I'd use to convert a typical action-loving guy to anime. You guys know that it's being made into a live action feature, right?
http://www.canoe.ca/JamMovies/mar13_ninja-can.html

The series that I'd use to convert a girl to anime is Kare Kano (Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou, "His and Her Circumstances"). It's a great series, created by Anno Hideaki, better known for creating Neon Genesis Evangelion. The show takes an incredibly refreshing look at your typical anime high school romance, and shows some of the complexities of a real romantic relationship, not just the "Oh, she's so cute, I've fallen in love" piffle (did I just say "piffle"?) that we see in Hollywood.

Rurouni Kenshin, and the first OAV series, is just awesome. Samurai Jack is great, but Rurouni Kenshin is better on so many levels, and it's still very light-hearted.

The last series that I'm going to push here is Slam Dunk! This series really snuck up on me, because I don't even like sports. It's about the drama of a high school basketball team, and it's really good stuff, even if you don't give a damn about sports. Far better than the typical sports movie that you see over here. It's the Iron Chef of sports shows, in its enormous appeal to non-sports fans.

clockworkjoe

First Post
Bah. you people need to get connected to the fan sub community and start looking for the newest stuff. Oh well, Hellsing will be released in america in a few months so you'll get hooked then.

PenguinKing

First Post
Chun-tzu said:
If anyone told me they hated all anime, I'd say they haven't seen the right one yet. It's like saying that they hate all movies. Anime encompasses such a broad range of stories that it's not just a genre, it's a medium.
While I admit to being something of a fanboy, let me be the first to admit that 90% of anime is crap.

Also let me point out, however, that 90% of all entertainment is crap, regardless of genre, medium, or thematics - it's just the way entertainment is, always has been, and always will be. ;)

- Sir bob.

Last edited:

mzsylver

Explorer
CaptainCalico said:
Slayers reminds me of a lighthearted D&D game (but then I have a fondness for short, trigger-happy sorceresses).

that's because Slayers it the BEST ANIME SERIES EVER!!!

well... at least it's my favorite. anything where there's magic, sword fighting, people hired solely for love of gold or food, and random explosions leaving towns in ruin... it's awesome.

maddman75

First Post
Well, I'll keep an eye out for some of these. Not a fan of anime. I'm sure they are fine movies, but the jerky animation and stuff like the blue hair just grates me. Not flame to anyone's taste, to each his own.

Tsyr

Explorer
I'm not sure where the jerky animation complaint is from (Except maybe Dragonball Z or Sailor Moon, both notorious for their bad animation)... but the blue hair is an aquired taste, I suppose.

V-2

First Post
While I'm an anime hater myself, I do have anime recommendations for anime haters:

Blood: The Final Vampire
This one's pretty cool. Vampires invade an American base in 1950s(?) Japan. But, $10 for a 50-minute film? WTF?

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
This one's very cool.

Metropolis
This one rocks. Even though it's a remake of Fritz Lang's 1920s movie, one of the tackiest films ever made. The figures look a bit silly, but the images of the futuristic city are simply beautiful.

Isawa Sideshow

First Post
Ah, anime for people who detest the typical conventions of anime, like schoolgirls with big eyes, gratuitous powered-up attacks. and mecha. Well, I've got a few recommendations.

1) Cowboy Bebop - As far as I'm concerned, this is the quintessential anime series, and one that's great for people who don't like most anime. Four bounty hunters who never can seem to get that big score, all while fighting their own inner demons. Great music, great characters, great comedy and drama, and a conclusion that's... well, I won't spoil it. Suffice to say, my wife and I love this series so much that we spent $700 to get a Pembroke Welsh Corgi and name him Ein. Even better, the Bebop movie, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, is coming to the states soon, from what I understand.

2) Princess Mononoke - This one should be pretty easy to find on DVD, thanks to Disney. A young man from a lost tribe must travel through Imperial Japan to discover what has cursed the great animal spirits, making them into demons of corruption. And what of the mysterious wolf-girl who hunts the humans to protect her forest? Also proof that big-name Hollywood actors can do anime voice-acting. Action and adventure, and the struggle of man vs. nature.

3) Grave of the Fireflies - Onto something more serious now. This is the tale of a brother and sister orphaned during the firebombing of Tokyo in WWII, and of their struggles to survive in the last days of the Pacific campaign. Anyone who has a heart can't help but be moved by this tragic story. Bring a box of tissues.

4) Ninja Scroll - This one's not for the kids, as it's chock-full of sex and gory violence. A wandering ronin, a poisonous female ninja, and a strange old monk must unravel the secret of the plague that has stricken the countryside. The answer will bring Jubei, the ronin, face to face with a demon from his past. If you're at all interested in high-fantasy oriental adventures, check this one out. The Eight Devils of Kimon are great ideas for half-fiend ninja...

5) The Vision of Escaflowne - Okay, this one does invovle schoolgirls and mecha, but not in the way you might think. Hitomi, a Japanese schoolgirl, is transported to a fantasy world torn by war, where warriors in giant mechanical suits of armor battle for supremecy. However, Hitomi has a secret that will change the lives of those around her - she can see the future. Epic battles and twisting interpersonal relationships, and an obligatory catgirl or two. Special cameo by Isaac Newton!

SonOfLilith

First Post
The show that brought a couple of my friends into anime is Neon Genesis: Evangelion, wich I think is one of the best series ever made, anime or not. It was everything: Comedy, action, social comitary, psychoanalysis, great plot, great character development, the whole nine yards. It is just awsome. If any of you animelovers haven't seen it, see it. If you guys interested in checking out some anime, get it. If you want to just see something that will leave you both inspired and sad at the end, see it.

P.S. Kenshin rocks!
P.S.S. Escaflowne rocks!
P.S.S.S. Slayers rocks!

Isawa Sideshow

First Post
SonOfLilith said:
The show that brought a couple of my friends into anime is Neon Genesis: Evangelion, wich I think is one of the best series ever made, anime or not. It was everything: Comedy, action, social comitary, psychoanalysis, great plot, great character development, the whole nine yards. It is just awsome. If any of you animelovers haven't seen it, see it. If you guys interested in checking out some anime, get it. If you want to just see something that will leave you both inspired and sad at the end, see it.

That is, assuming that "the end" is episode 24. Quick hint to Eva newbies: skip episodes 25 and 26, where quality animation and plot give way to badly done stills and psychobabble. Wait for "Death and Rebirth", the real End of Evangelion, to be released in the states - it is on its way. If you can't wait, try to find a foreign bootleg.

Remove ads