[ot] anime suggestions for those who dislike anime

Jackcarter

First Post
I'll put up a vote for the Castle of Cagliostro

Very funny indeed, though very old as well. I'm not sure what would be the mileage on that one. Anime, because it deals with pseudo-realistic people, tends to fare poorly with time. I know it's hilarious when I see bellbottoms on shows like Urusei or Gundam. :D

I detest most anime, however I am obsessed with Cowboy Bebop. The voice acting is steller compared to most anime, and the entire series has a very noir, maudlin air to it. It is the most stylish anime I have ever seen

I totally agree. Bebop is one of the coolest anime out there. I think that people who have problems with it are those who expect more of traditional anime storytelling. Bebop forgoes that and instead goes for the American drama-type continuity. For some reason, it reminds me of Hillstreet Blues a lot.

For those who haven't experienced hentai anime check out. Tentacles are fun.

This is why anime has such a bad rep in certain circles... ;)

I would suggest Lain. It's the best cyberpunk / matrix genre film I've ever seen. Very cerebrial (sp?) though. Anyone who's a fan of dark futures, technology, deep mysteries, or questions on the nature of reality should watch Lain. Regardless of your opinions of animation.

Indeed, a great series. This is one series that would really benefit from professional criticism. Btw, the author, Abe, is a reknowned writer on cultural issues in Japan. I hear that he is a frequent critic of Westernization, the current Japanese (dis-)culture, and society. One of few in the anime business who is taken seriously by the Japanese society at large. His other work, Niea under 7, is another sociological study, very funny at times as well.

Cowboy Beebop seems to be popular with at least one anti-anime person I know; but when I watch it the show just looks like Dirty Pair but with only one hot chick

LOL. :D :D That's funny. I never made that association!

the only anime movie that i have seen and liked is "fist of the north star". guy punches people, they explode a few seconds later, nuff said. i can't even put a finger on why i liked it and dislike other anime.

Perhaps because of too much medication? ;)

Heh - there's a reason NGE's ending was continuity-revised and redone as a feature-length movie.

No kidding. I wanted to punch someone when I saw those two craps for episodes. However, I really don't think the two movies do a very good job of finishing the series either. Truly dissapointing in my view. I'd put my disappointment up there with the biggest disappointment of all: The ending to Gasaraki. :( :(

Grave of the Fireflies - Onto something more serious now. This is the tale of a brother and sister orphaned during the firebombing of Tokyo in WWII, and of their struggles to survive in the last days of the Pacific campaign. Anyone who has a heart can't help but be moved by this tragic story. Bring a box of tissues.

Great story. It pulls off one of the greatest tricks in cinema: Sad without being sacharine or sentimental, tragic without being melodramatic. Didn't cry but my gf did, profusely in fact, and in ma arms no less. :D :D

I'm not sure where the jerky animation complaint is from (Except maybe Dragonball Z or Sailor Moon, both notorious for their bad animation)... but the blue hair is an aquired taste, I suppose.

Well, most are jerky in comparison with the most fluid Disney animation. As for blue hair, who'd NOT like it?!? ;)

Corinth

First Post
Alaxk Knight of Galt said:
Well, I'll plug some great Anime.

1. Cowboy Bebop, great action, great style, great characters. The movie which I've see, will blow you away. Additionally, the setting of the show is brilliant.

2. The Vision of Escaflowne, Mecha in a mideval time frame, the story is one great epic, (unlike Bebop) solid characters, and a great Date anime.

3. Macross Plus, this is what Top Gun wished it could be. Three complex characters, truly great music, cool jet fighting scenes.

Now a question, what do these three anime's have in common?
Three kudos to whoever gets it right.
The Invincible Song Goddess: YOKO KANNO!

Corinth said:

The Invincible Song Goddess: YOKO KANNO!

You get 1 and 1/2 Kudos.
To have received full credit you need to mention the amazing story telling abilities of Shoji Kawamori.

Kanno is brilliant. If you haven't heard the opening to Brain Powered do so. And the Cowboy Bebop movie sound track is probably her best work. No Reply, Gotta Knock a Little Harder, Is It Real, Ask DNA, some great music here. Her ability to write any type of music is amazing. J-pop, classical, Blues, Country, Alternative, there is nothing she can't do.

Last edited:

Remove ads