(OT) B5: Legend of the Rangers (spoilers)

LightPhoenix

First Post
Wolf72 said:

who says Bester outlived her? (haven't followed any literature since the end of the 5th season).

god I miss Lyta, I hope Patricia Tallman see's how big her character was to us geeks ... then again I hope it doesn't scare her!

Lyta dies during the Telepath War. Bester is alive after it (Psi Corp Trilogy, book 3).

Ms. Tallman is well aware of how much we love her, and it doesn't scare her one bit. I've heard she's great at conventions, though I've never gotten to see her.

Lennier can't appear - according to JMS, he dies during the Telepath War. Londo is on Centauri Prime, in isolation with his people, and under the control of the Drakh. Franklin is on Earth when the plague strikes, according to Crusade. If he did show up, it would have to be soon.

LightPhoenix

I think it's important to consider one thing. Yes, this is still JMS writing, and yes, it had G'kar, the coolest character (and best actor) to grace television science fiction in all of recorded history...

But this is still a first episode. A pilot. Actors have not yet "found" their parts. Characters have not been fully fleshed out or realized, even in JMS' own mind. Concepts are constantly evolving.

Bottom line? It's completely unfair to compare this to Babylon 5 as a show. The only fair comparison is to comare B5:LotR against the original Babylon 5 pilot, "The Gathering," without considering the rest of the series.

And in that light, I'm very hopeful. Let's be honest, the Gathering had more than its share of flaws. Acting was mediocre, dialog was stilted, and the plot seemed vaguely choppy. The series proved that JMS had chosen his actors and scripted his story wisely; but that only became clear in retrospect.

Judging LotR as a pilot only, and not holding it to the standard that Babylon 5--a five-year series--set at its height , you end up with a promising start to what could well be an excellent series.

Black Omega

First Post
LightPhoenix said:

Lyta dies during the Telepath War. Bester is alive after it (Psi Corp Trilogy, book 3).

Correct, though IMHO this series wasn't half as good as the Centauri series. Some nice twists but ultimately disappointing. The world is better off without that henna haired harriden, but then with a name like Black Omega I'm sure no one's surprised by that opinion.:) Her betraying just about everyone she ever was with made the series interesting.

Ms. Tallman is well aware of how much we love her, and it doesn't scare her one bit. I've heard she's great at conventions, though I've never gotten to see her.

Sadly, me either, though it would be great to see her at a convention. If the B5 Movie is going to be the Telepath War, she should have the major role in it.

Lennier can't appear - according to JMS, he dies during the Telepath War. Londo is on Centauri Prime, in isolation with his people, and under the control of the Drakh. Franklin is on Earth when the plague strikes, according to Crusade. If he did show up, it would have to be soon.

I hadn't heard Lennier dies there..I wonder how. Yep, Londo's next 18 years before his death are pretty much taken on Centauri Prime. Hard to imagine a way to work him in that would contribute to the story.

Remove ads