• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Buying a Mini(car)

Dubya

Explorer
Hello All,

I have been a lurker for quite some time around here. I think you people are really cool and very informative and helpful. This being my first post and it isn't even about D&D. I have recently fallen in love with a car. The MINI. I am thinking hard about buying one (mid to late 60's model) and I was wondering if any of you out there have ever owned one.

I am wondering if I will have any problems registering it in Illinois. I don't think I should because it will already have a SC title. The guy I am looking at buying from imports several from New Zealand.

I am also wondering are there many places in the states that I can get parts easily. I want to fix it up a bit.

I know that I am leaving many questions out, but I am tired and can't think straight right now. Any tips, suggestions, ideas are greatly appreciated.

Dubya

wighair

Explorer
I haven't owned one, but my parents had several. Superb things, but they did have a tendancy for the bottom to fall out of them. Be sure to check the body work and especially the flooring by the driver and front passenger for serious rust. On the other hand it is quite exciting to be able to see the road surface whizzing by beneath your feet!

;-)

kengar

First Post
I don't know much about the original minis from the 60's but the new ones are really nice. My stepmother bought one recently and when I visited over Xmas, I got to drive it a bit. Very fun.

The new ones aren't as expensive as you'd think, but still not a "cheap" car.

Rackhir

Explorer
Unless you are strapped for cash and the 60's mini is really cheap, I'd think you would be better off getting one of the new ones. Especially if parts are a concern. The reliability should be substantially better on one of the new ones, since they are designed and built by Mercedes Benz or BMW (can't remember which).

They have a very slick website here -

http://www.miniusa.com/crm/load_mini.jsp

It is EXTREMELY graphically intensive, so I'm not sure I'd recomend it on a dial-up connection, but it is very cool and lets you play around with ALL the options and show what the car will look like.

They start around $16,500 for the base and about $20k for the MiniCooperS, which has a supercharged engine and somewhat more base features, like a 6 speed shift.

The web site also has dealer location information.

kengar

First Post
Rackhir said:
Unless you are strapped for cash and the 60's mini is really cheap, I'd think you would be better off getting one of the new ones. Especially if parts are a concern. The reliability should be substantially better on one of the new ones, since they are designed and built by Mercedes Benz or BMW (can't remember which).

They have a very slick website here -

http://www.miniusa.com/crm/load_mini.jsp

It is EXTREMELY graphically intensive, so I'm not sure I'd recomend it on a dial-up connection, but it is very cool and lets you play around with ALL the options and show what the car will look like.

They start around $16,500 for the base and about $20k for the MiniCooperS, which has a supercharged engine and somewhat more base features, like a 6 speed shift.

The web site also has dealer location information.
I agree with Rackhir.

Used British car from the 60's = a LOT of time not driving it because it's broken. :p

FWIW, my stepmother's car is the Mini "S" with 6 speed and every D*** feature she could get. She paid about $27K and it is NICE!!! (sigh, must be nice to have that kinda $$ for a toy! :) )

(wheeee!!! 600 posts!! :D)

Gizzard

First Post
In a totally practical world I'd suggest getting the new Mini also. But, the reason why you want the old Mini is a style thing so practicality doesnt really enter into it.

I'll second the thing about the fun of watching the road go by after the bottom falls out though. ;-) As well as the thing about it spending a lot of time up on blocks in your garage if you buy the "fix-up" model. :-(

Remove ads