OT: Death Metal & Black Metal

I too have a broad perspective on music. I think the death metal, thrash metal, black metal stuff is hella good, but I also LOVE punk music. I like (in no particular order)

Metallica
AFI (A Fire Inside)
Misfits
Gwar
Pantera
Motorhead
Ozzy
Bane
Rammstein
Dope
Ten Yard Fight
Samhain
I could keep goin on but that would take forever, and half the bands you've probably never heard of

Neowolf

First Post
I dunno... my main problem with a lot of metal fans is the "holier than thou" attitude that a lot of the underground people seem to have (at least around here). I mean, when it comes down to it, what difference does it make if a band is underground or mainstream? Just like whatever you like. :)

And no offense guys, but a lot of so called "death" or "black" metal I've heard has given me the impression that the band doesn't really know how to play their instruments, they're just making as much noise as they can. While that's not a bad thing in all cases, it just bothers me when that's all a band has to offer. :(

ancient_ones

First Post
Neowolf said:
I dunno... my main problem with a lot of metal fans is the "holier than thou" attitude that a lot of the underground people seem to have (at least around here). I mean, when it comes down to it, what difference does it make if a band is underground or mainstream? Just like whatever you like. :)

And no offense guys, but a lot of so called "death" or "black" metal I've heard has given me the impression that the band doesn't really know how to play their instruments, they're just making as much noise as they can. While that's not a bad thing in all cases, it just bothers me when that's all a band has to offer. :(
No we know how to play. It takes a lot of skill to play at those speeds and not screw up. And your right alotof underground people are holier than thou, but I guess in this case it would be un holier than thou.:D

Darklone

Ugh

Guys, I am shocked. So far Slayer and Paradise Lost has been mentioned once. Argh.

Going to the With Full Force Festival this summer again. Too lazy to type the whole list. But I second Sepultura, Boltthrower, Six Feet Under, Cradle of Filth (though they suck live, they couldn't wake you up without their stripping girls)...

Numion

First Post
While younger my brother tortured me with this *noise* made by these penguin - looking freaks in sodomite suits. Yeah I know about Dimmu Borgir, Immortal and all that .- sucks to no end IMO.

Chacal

First Post
Numion said:
While younger my brother tortured me with this *noise* made by these penguin - looking freaks in sodomite suits. Yeah I know about Dimmu Borgir, Immortal and all that .- sucks to no end IMO.

I don't know about Morrus'grandmother, but this certainly wouldn't have pleased mine.

Back to the topic :

Most of my favorites have already been covered in the thread, but I'd like to add a french death metal band :
Loudblast

Chacal

ghettognome

First Post
I don't know how to do quotes yet so I will just direct this towards cybernetic. :) I went to your site....www.slavestitched.com and dl'd the mp3 that was available. I must say that I did really like it. Are you guys just a local band, or are you more known than that? Either way, it was cool. :)

Last edited:

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Neowolf said:

In some cases I would agree with you, there ar far too many deat/black metal bands that get by on nothing but grunting between blast beats (I hate Blast beats). But there are some very talented musicians in the extreme metal scene. If you have ever heard Morbid Angel with good ol Trey Azagthoth on guitar you would know waht i mean. Just liek any other genre you have to sift through the crap to find the good stuff. But I also understand that extreme metal, no matter how "good" it is will not be everyone's cup of tea (or blood)=]

Dirge

TommyTutone

First Post
Among my favourites:

GhoulNeck - "Eat the dead", "Up From the Earth"
Suicide Is Cool - "Go Ahead and Do It", "There's a Gun in Your Father's Dresser"
Prince of Sorrow - "Stuck in the Garage", "Graveyard Shift at Mickey D's"
DethMonkey - "Bananas... OF DEATH", and "Mean Mr. Donkey Kong"

Remove ads