[OT] Missing Children

Nikchick

Explorer
The case of Elizabeth Smart, returned to her family alive after being abducted by a stranger, has reminded me not to give up hope. Long after she'd passed from the public spotlight, and long after many assumed that she was dead or missing forever, all it took was one person to keep her in mind they saw something strange and she was recovered.

This is significant to me, because I also know a family who is suffering the same pain of not knowing that the Smarts lived with all these months. My friend's nephew has been missing since October 2002, an 11 year old boy who disappeared while riding his bike to a friend's house.

They have not given up, and the Elizabeth Smart case has reminded me not to give up on them. With that in mind, I've come to the diverse and widespread crowd we have here in order to spread the word and to ask you all, just to keep an eye open, keep Shawn Hornbeck in the back of your mind the way concerned citizens did with Elizabeth Smart. Maybe, just maybe, someone will see him and bring him home to his family, too.

shawn_pic_shadow.jpg

http://www.shawnhornbeck.com/

Thanks everyone,
Nicole

Drawmack

First Post
One of my teenage friends had a brother who was abducted when he was 6 and my friend was 8.

Their mother never gave up hope. She continued the search and did everything that she could to keep funds pouring to find the child.

When my friend was 18 she came into a small inheritance which she used to hire a private investigator. This was her last ditch effort.

The private investigator found my friends brother living 40 miles from where he was abducted. He was living under a different name and had barely any recolection of his birth family.

After being missing for 10 years he was reuinited with his family.

Nik
You're friends nephew will be in my prayers and I urge you and his family to never give up the ghost.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Drawmack said:
After being missing for 10 years he was reuinited with his family.

That's utterly amazing. I hope all families experience such incredible luck.

I'm eager to see how the current situation turns out. Some very odd questions are being raised. Hopefully the answers will shed light on other older child kidnappings that might get others home.

King_Stannis

Explorer
I'll keep Shawn in my thoughts and prayers, Nicole. May he be returned safe and sound. As a parent myself, this is my worst nightmare.

It's sad, but you really can barely trust anyone these days.

Kilmore

First Post
My wish goes even further. I wish that the detestable vermin of the human race get over themselves and their urges to inflict their will on the helpless without a care for those who love them. I hate to sound hateful, but one of the reasons I got into RPG's was to imagine myself thrashing monsters like these. :mad:

NeuroZombie

Explorer
This one touched us as well, and becuase of it, my son (12) is doing a public service announcement for his Visual Arts class to send to state for competition to appear on TV.

Ds Da Man

First Post
Thats horrible, and I pray that the child is returned. What I didn't understand about Eliz Smart was that she was 14, 15 when found, and wasn't really tied or gagged. Now at that age, surely she could have slipped a note, whispered for help, something. A little child maybe not, but 14 or 15? Either way, I really wish we could just trash some of these thoughtless people!

Last edited:

William Ronald

Explorer
Nicole, I will keep Shawn in my thoughts and pray for his safe return. I hope that his parents will know the same joy that the Smart family and their friends are experiencing right now.

My advice is that if you think you see a missing child, call the police. At worst, you may make a case of mistaken identity. At best, you may help find a missing child.

You can also learn more about cases in your community (in the U.S.) at The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children

Ds Da Man, you might want to check out the following link on the Elizabeth Smart story. Police defend smart probe

I have heard that kidnappers can put a great deal of psychological pressure on their victims. Also, in the case of Elisabeth Smart, it appears that she had multiple people watching her. Though there are reports she was trying to make eye contact with people at different stores, Elizabeth Smart may not have had an opportunity to speak to someone. She may have been too afraid to do more than just look at people.

Kidnappers use fear to control their victims, and try to manipulate their emotions. Indeed, a kidnapper tries to convince their captives that there is no hope.

(Moderators, not trying to start an argument. Merely trying to answer a question posed by a fellow board member.)

Ranger REG

Explorer
Ds Da Man said:

Thats horrible, and I pray that the child is returned. What I didn't understand about Eliz Smart was that she was 14, 15 when found, and wasn't really tied or gagged. Now at that age, surely she could have slipped a note, whispered for help, something. A little child maybe not, but 14 or 15? Either way, I really wish we could just trash some of these thoughtless people!
We cannot begin to know what goes on in the mind of a kidnapped victim.

Even I am still stumped as to why the adult followers of David Koresh would remain with him 'till the end at Waco, Texas, or the suicide of the Heaven's Gate cult, or even the old stories of Patricia Hearst who was a kidnapped victim turned follower.

:(

If you know the answers, I would listen. Personally, the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" perhaps may not apply here. Only that we have an obligation to look out for one another. That way it gives the silent victims hope.

Last edited:

Remove ads