[OT] Missing Children

Wow. Now that's a fantastic result from a very sad story. I read the thread (not seeing the datestamps) thinking this had just happened. I am delighted that Shawn and his family are back together again! (Especially as a parent - this is one of my worst nightmares.)

On the gamer front, it's bizarre that this isn't a relative or family friend, though it explains how the boy wasn't found easily. I'm pleased to see that the judge set bail at $1 Million on this fellow and I hope that he gets a swift, fair trial that puts him away.

tadk

Explorer
It is wonderful

I saw this last night on the news that those two boys were both found

Congratulations and wonderful

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Thank goodness; it's amazing that they were found.

Still, it just absolutely stuns me how you could keep a 15-year-old captive that long without chaining him up in the basement or something. Taking someone when they're barely more than a toddler, I can understand how they'd never attempt to get away. Hopefully they'll give some more details later. I'd like to think that even at 11, I'd have simply waited for the first opportunity to stick a screwdriver in the guy's eye, much less stay there for four years.

RigaMortus2

First Post
WayneLigon said:
Thank goodness; it's amazing that they were found.

Still, it just absolutely stuns me how you could keep a 15-year-old captive that long without chaining him up in the basement or something. Taking someone when they're barely more than a toddler, I can understand how they'd never attempt to get away. Hopefully they'll give some more details later. I'd like to think that even at 11, I'd have simply waited for the first opportunity to stick a screwdriver in the guy's eye, much less stay there for four years.

Same exact thing I was thinking. As soon as that SOB goes to sleep, I'd be hitting him over the head repeatedly with a frying pan.

Treebore

First Post
As a parent of 3 of my own I can not even imagine how they must feel after 4 years, or even 4 days, of such fear. I am just glad they are two of the all to few who are ever recovered alive.

I would say one heck of a celebration is in order, once the children have recovered.

Right or wrong I have told my children to never be afraid to escape if an oportunity ever presents itself. To never believe the threats against our family. I'll just keep praying we will never have to find out. BTW, our talks went far beyond what I have said here.

jim pinto

First Post
Nikchick said:
The case of Elizabeth Smart, returned to her family alive after being abducted by a stranger, has reminded me not to give up hope. Long after she'd passed from the public spotlight, and long after many assumed that she was dead or missing forever, all it took was one person to keep her in mind they saw something strange and she was recovered.

This story was one impetus Jon Hodgson and I used in the design of our forthcoming indie rpg -- George's Children. We were deeply moved by this story and all stories of children that are left to "fend for themselves" so to speak.

Thanks for the post, Nicole.

Last edited:

Remove ads