• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT]Morrowind, Morrowind, how do I love thee?

Metus

First Post
But see, what everyone is mentioning is the combat. I fought *fill in blank* and found *fill in blank*. Then I had to go find *fill in blank* and fought some *fill in blank*. All it has is UPS quests.

BG2 had a HUGE amount of unique NPCs, and while part 1 was filled with delivery quests, part 2 really brought the player into the world. I've also gone to the swamp and collected mushrooms, and found books, and fought things. Essentially, the game is single-player Everquest. But there are people who like EQ, and while I'm obviously not one of them, I guess I can understand that. But it IS single-player EQ.

I'm tired of all the NPCs getting in my face, then talking with them. "Hello, METUS. I see we are having GOOD weather today. May I help you?"

Then they all give the same two paragraphs of "secrets" or rumors. Dear God.

The wilderness feels very lifelike and real, but just being around those automations brings down the entire game. But that's not the only problem, of course.

1-10, I'd give this game a 7.

Droogie

Explorer
I can't even get out of the first building (after you've picked your class and such) without the game crashing and dropping me to windows. As soon as I open the door: BAM. I tried updating my drivers and my system is more than beefy enough to run this frickin' game.

Anyone else getting the same prob?

kenjib

First Post
For the people for whom the game runs slowly, did you turn off realtime shadows? That seems to be a huge resource hog on my system but I only just started playing the game and fiddling with the options so maybe I haven't gotten far enough in to see where it really crunches down.

Tsyr

Explorer
I have heard that if you get the no-cd crack, it speeds up quite a bit. Apparently, the CD protection is responsible for a lot of the slowdown. I havn't tried this yet, but I may.

If this is true, it would hardly be a first. CD protection has a bad history of causing wierd problems.

Fade

First Post
Originally posted by kathode
Here's a huge Morrowind performance increase. Replace your EXE with this file -

http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/l...d/Morrowind.exe

It removes the SafeDisc copy protection wrapper from the EXE file. It still requires the CD in the drive, so it's not piracy. EVERYONE who's used this has seen performance increases on the order of 5-20 fps and decreased load times. It is amazing, and I guarantee virus-free.

(kathode is Gavin Carter, 'Additional World Art & Building')

TBoarder

Explorer
Darklance said:
So has anyone noticed a speed inprovment with the patch? I'm waitng for feedback befroe I try it.

I haven't, but then again I'm playing the game with all the graphics options cranked up to max even though my system can't quite handle it perfectly. Even so, I'm finding it to be perfectly playable between 10 and 20 FPS, and not bad even when it drops to about 8 FPS. It's never gone below 8 though. :)

Remove ads