• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT]Morrowind, Morrowind, how do I love thee?

Irda Ranger

First Post
Metus -

I can't seem to unzip the .ace file format that your site uses. Do you (or anyone) have this in a .zip or .rar compression format? Thanks.

Irda Ranger

drothgery

First Post
TBoarder said:

I haven't, but then again I'm playing the game with all the graphics options cranked up to max even though my system can't quite handle it perfectly. Even so, I'm finding it to be perfectly playable between 10 and 20 FPS, and not bad even when it drops to about 8 FPS. It's never gone below 8 though. :)

Has anyone tried the game on a relatively underpowered PC with a lot of memory and relatively good video card? Because I'm probably going to buy a GF 4 Ti4200 as soon as they're actually available, and at least for this year, it'll be living in my P3 800 with half a gig of RAM. Next year, I think I can talk myself into replacing my home desktop, but I think I ought to get at least 3 years out of the current one. But I've been planning on upgrading the video card since I bought the thing, and NVidia kept introducing a new just-above-midrange video card just about when I'd decided to break down and buy one.

uv23

First Post
My thinking is that the vid card makes all the difference. I have a reasonably powerful box (1Ghz, 256MB) but a crap video card (32mb TNT2) and it doesn't play well at all, even with the slider set to very near and shadows off and 800x600. Then again everything seems to run slower on XP so another 256MB might help.

I'm actually setting aside the game until I upgrade.

Junkheap

First Post
Geez guys read hte readme files that came with the game. You have to have a minimum of the supported chipsets which are

NVIDIA GeForce 4
NVIDIA GeForce 3
NVIDIA GeForce 2
NVIDIA GeForce 256
NVIDIA TNT2
ATI Radeon 8500
ATI Radeon 7500
ATI Radeon 7200
ATI Radeon

It asks for a lot of high end stuff. I have a geforce 2 256 with a 933 P3 and 256 megs of ram. I have no probs playing the game but i dont have it at full everything. The cpu doesnt matter as much with games of this much complexity, the gpu does. Get a faster video card you shall solve MOST of your problems. And by the way, my video card doesnt even support all the stuff thats included in this game(like the water effects and pixel shading) and other stuff.

Btw i am playing it at 1024 x whatever on a win2000 system.

About the game, i think is good so far, but all i have been doin right now is collecting muchrooms :D I don't really like combat much tho, but it doesn't seem to happen all to often ala the crappiest game in the world dungeon siege. Geez what a waste of time and money that was. O well.

Droogie

Explorer
Junkheap said:
About the game, i think is good so far, but all i have been doin right now is collecting muchrooms :D I don't really like combat much tho, but it doesn't seem to happen all to often ala the crappiest game in the world dungeon siege. Geez what a waste of time and money that was. O well.

Man you said it. I played it for two days before I got sick of it. Hack hack hack hack hack.........upgrade. Hack hack hack hack.....upgrade. Acquire useless party member. Hack hack hack hack.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Luckily I bought it at EB, so I was able to trade it in for a few bucks off Morrowind. Which I can't even get to work.

This weekend has been chock-full of minor disappointments.

I need a hug. :(

Metus

First Post
Irda Ranger said:
Metus -

I can't seem to unzip the .ace file format that your site uses. Do you (or anyone) have this in a .zip or .rar compression format? Thanks.

Irda Ranger
Apologies for the delay. Winace will fix you right up.

I've tried the crack. The game itself lags as much as before, BUT the loading times are significantly faster. I'd say they only take half as long as they did before, if not shorter.

xjp

First Post
So far I've been having tons of fun with Morrowind(5 days/15+ hours). Dungeon Siege has taken a permanent back seat and will probably never be loaded again. I do miss being able to scale buildings and the city walls like in Daggerfall, that was nice. I think if you have an older system you should hold off until you eventually upgrade. It wouldn't be nearly as fun with low framerates and most graphic options reduced.

If you've played Daggerfall you pretty much know what you are getting into.

The scenery and cities are beautiful.

The character animations are severely limited. I never use 3rd person view, the PC animation really pulls you out of awe struck mode and places you into mid 90s tomb raider mode.

The game is smaller and more focused than Daggerfall. Which IMO is an improvement. It is still the most open ended CRPG out there, though.

So far the quests have been fairly varied and fun to complete. After I put in some more hours they may begin to become repetitious. I'll have to check back on that one.

It does kind of suck to have to switch to "magic hands" mode to use racial traits, star sign abilities, and magical weapons spells.

And yes, the quest journal could be MUCH better. In a game where you can easily have a dozen or more open quests at a given momemnt the journal provides the absolute bare minimum.

I think players willing to play thieves and assassins will have a lot of fun because there are plenty of opportunities to practice these skills and you aren't forced to follow the path of the Avator or any such thing.

Hopefully, we will not have to wait 5+ years for another great CRPG from Bethesda Softworks.

Remove ads