[OT] National Pride?

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Dr Bunsen Honeydew said:
…and more venomous creatures than any comparable place on earth!

And Steve Irwin, who makes up in Aussiness what he lacks in height.:D

(Australia, the only country who's current national symbol is this crazy guy who mugs salties for a living.)

Maldur

First Post
Rav said:
I think that's why Maldur thinks the SMART is the best car in the world as well. (See UK enworlders thread)

The SMART IS the best car on the planet.

I drive about 25 km on a liter of gas. Can park on a dime. Its a luxury car and drives like a dream. Besides I dont really have to take anything more with me than, me and a pile of books(sometimes my girlfriend:D). Besides they accelerate like mad :D

drothgery

First Post
mythusmage said:
Or Mexican seafood, as sold by the Rubio's chain.

I've only lived here a year and a half, but I'm still too much of a midwestern native on that count; I can't bring myself to accept the notion that shrimp or fish on a tortilla might be a good idea.

mythusmage said:
Let us continue on the local history. Its not that we don't have a history, it's just that it's younger than European. The locals were not much on recording things before the Spaniards came, and even afterward this was pretty much a backwater. Even today we're known mostly for our zoo.

Which, in all honesty, isn't a bad thing. Even if you don't normally like zoos (and I don't), it's a great zoo.

mythusmage said:
Now add in the "We're not LA" factor. We're proud of the fact we're not LA. We have scenery, they have smog. We have a zoo, they have Hollywood (not much difference there, really). Los Angeles is an east count town plopped down on the west coast, San Diego is a mid-west town that made a wrong turn on the 94. LA has dozens of cultural icons it's proud of. SD has dozens of cultural icons it would much rather not admit to.

I lived in Syracuse and Rochester, both of which had a strong "We're not NYC" factor. I can definitely understand this.

mythusmage said:
(Night life in Chula Vista is 6 beers and skittles. Night life in National City has 6 legs and scuttles.:p)

And what about us north coastal types (I live in University City, work in La Jolla)...

LcKedovan

Explorer
Maldur said:

The SMART IS the best car on the planet.

I drive about 25 km on a liter of gas. Can park on a dime. Its a luxury car and drives like a dream. Besides I dont really have to take anything more with me than, me and a pile of books(sometimes my girlfriend:D). Besides they accelerate like mad :D

They scare me, one accident and it would be like being in a tin can ;) So Drive Safe!!

-W.

Maldur

First Post
LcKedovan said:

They scare me, one accident and it would be like being in a tin can ;) So Drive Safe!!

-W.

I try to:D

But it would be more like being in a ball, not a can.
It is actually quite a safe car. And it has a lot more room inside than you would think.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Mercule said:
That, and how can they stand to live so close? Growing up, I needed binoculars to see my neighbor's house. It took me about 3 days to feel _very_ claustrophobic when I was out a San Francisco for a bit.
hah! Growing up in the most densely populated country in the Western world (3rd densest total), I felt agoraphobic in the more rural areas of Michigan! :)

Rav

Sixchan

First Post
Rav said:
hah! Growing up in the most densely populated country in the Western world (3rd densest total), I felt agoraphobic in the more rural areas of Michigan! :)

Rav

I've spent most of my life indoors and developed Agoraphobia for it. I don't go out into the country much at all.

Remove ads