• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OT) Ohio Renaissance Festival!

dave_o

Explorer
I've been hearing a ton of stuff about this thing on the radio (I get stations from the Louisville/Cincinatti area, as well as Lexington stations), and just what is it? I'm sorta surprised to see that our Ohioians haven't been talking about it.

It sounds pretty damn cool! Apparently, there's a full-armor joust, the usual renaissance fair stuff (pottery, grub, costumes, etc.), and a rad theme song to boot.

So, what gives? :D

DanMcS

Explorer
dave_o said:
I've been hearing a ton of stuff about this thing on the radio (I get stations from the Louisville/Cincinatti area, as well as Lexington stations), and just what is it? I'm sorta surprised to see that our Ohioians haven't been talking about it.

It sounds pretty damn cool! Apparently, there's a full-armor joust, the usual renaissance fair stuff (pottery, grub, costumes, etc.), and a rad theme song to boot.

I've been going every year since, oh, 91 or 92. It's great fun. Never occurred to me to mention it on here, I guess I tend to think of the internet as a geography-less space. :)

Lots of fun medieval-type carnival games, if you're so inclined. Some good craftsmen are there, selling medieval garb, swords, artwork, whatever. Lots of not-bad food, a little pricey; they have pubs and stuff onsite too.

The real reason to go, though, is the acts. They do comedy/action type things on little stages scattered all over the place, some do music. There are like 3 jousts a day, there are dueling swordsmen, the scotsmen who do comedy and music. The best is the theater in the ground, which is these three guys doing plays in a big muddy pit. You haven't lived until you've seen Beowulf In The Mud. Heh.

romp

First Post
dave_o said:

So, what gives? :D
My gf (non-gamer but loves fantasy books and medieval stuff) and I went last year and had a blast. The two dueling comedic swordsmen are a riot. The guy doing the tightrope act was very good (over shark infested waters to boot!). The joust was a treat to watch, the guys teaching "proper English jousting cheers" are very good. I got a kick out of the glass blowers since i love watching craftsmen who are good at their work. I got some chili in a breadbowl (it was cold that morning) that was really good, first time in a while i have liked on site food served at an event. The vendors had some really nice things, bands roam the field, I got a CD from the Vic Daniels Quartet that I like to listen to as I surf.

I would definitely make the trip if you live in the area.

Tewligan

First Post
Jeez, I nearly forgot about this! I intend to go every year, and I never get around to it. Okay, I'm DEFINITELY going this year, if I remember. I've never been to a Renaissance festival before - it should be interesting.

Bitt

First Post
Ren Fair Cool, Highly Recommend

Have not been in a while, anyone know if they still have the Naughty Bawdy Tavern Wenches?

The Mud Theater is great - if you sit in the front half of the ampitheater you may actually get splattered by mud! "It's a Thirteen Row Show!"

Wonder if the Fair owners would be receptive to hosting some gaming?

Remove ads