• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OT) Ohio Renaissance Festival!

Wikidogre

First Post
Its is a very good time, i was just there this past weekend and bought meself a nice war horn.

Of course i bought the one the hot woman was blowing on as she showed me the merch! :p

fett527

First Post
CHILI IN A BREAD BOWL!!!

Seriously. I love the Chili in a bread bowl. Also, no one has mentioned the huge turkey legs. I will reiterate the fun that is the the two swordsman, the mud show and the Professional Insulter.

Interesting that I don't ever remember seeing anything related to DnD there. Ever. And I've been attending for 10+ years. Interesting indeed.

borc killer

First Post
Well I was going to list all the stuff I liked about the RenFest but you guys already did it for me hehe.

Oh and for the ‘notty body wenches’ questions they still have the act but the people are not the same... it is funny but not as funny as it was a few years back.

Oh and you HAVE to check out the 'lost viking treasure' shop... they have the coolest beer mugs around. And then go buy some beer to put in it… ummm beer…

Oh and you have to go see the guys that smash cinder blocks with the swords they sell… those are some freaking assume REAL swords.

Oh and the joust can be a little cheesy but I have seen people get dismounted before witch was just brutal…

Borc Killer

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
borc killer said:
Oh and the joust can be a little cheesy but I have seen people get dismounted before witch was just brutal…

Heh I can assure you, the jousting is real. I did some work for one of the jousting troupes (Chrimerian Freelancers, Ontario and Maryland Renaissance festivals, among others) and they do not script anything. They do use shorter lists than was traditional, and the lances do have balsawood tips that can break off, but other than those two conessions to safety, most festivals have full contact jousting. The jousters are injured regularily - a friend of mine broke four bones in his hand and dislocated his shoulder at the tournament in London (Ontario, Canada) earlier this summer.

If you're going to the Ohio festival, say hi to Mad Ivan. He does chainmail, some quite good stuff. :)

Last edited:

Taverneer

First Post
romp said:
My gf (non-gamer but loves fantasy books and medieval stuff) and I went last year and had a blast. The two dueling comedic swordsmen are a riot. The guy doing the tightrope act was very good (over shark infested waters to boot!). The joust was a treat to watch, the guys teaching "proper English jousting cheers" are very good. I got a kick out of the glass blowers since i love watching craftsmen who are good at their work. I got some chili in a breadbowl (it was cold that morning) that was really good, first time in a while i have liked on site food served at an event. The vendors had some really nice things, bands roam the field, I got a CD from the Vic Daniels Quartet that I like to listen to as I surf.

I would definitely make the trip if you live in the area.

Romp, you rock, I'm the flute guy from the Vic Daniels Quartet and I just happen to be the Editor of the Dwarven Tavern Magazine online. I am very flattered that you would remember my group out of all the others playing out there that day, and that you like to listen while surfing is even cooler!

I also wanted to mention that my Group, VDQ (Vic Daniels...) is going to be playing at Gen Con at the opening of the doors this year AND I'm going to be giving a seminar on orchestrating one's campaigns with the right music, so PLEASE look me up so I can thank you personally!

Ashy

First Post
I don't know about the one in OH, but I've been to a couple here in AL (they sound very similar to what has been posted above) and I had a GREAT time! Lots of stuff for the chillins as well! :)

thundershot

Adventurer
My wife and I go to the Great Lakes Medieval Faire every year. It's a smaller faire, but it's nice and relaxing. My only disappointment has been the fact that Hack & Slash haven't been there in a few years, and neither has Axel the Sot....

But my wife LOVES the chili in a bread bowl. Well, except for the one year, when it poured down rain, and she was wearing white.... oh, it was a MESS... :D

Chris

francisca

I got dice older than you.
fett527 said:
CHILI IN A BREAD BOWL!!!

Seriously. I love the Chili in a bread bowl. Also, no one has mentioned the huge turkey legs. I will reiterate the fun that is the the two swordsman, the mud show and the Professional Insulter.

Interesting that I don't ever remember seeing anything related to DnD there. Ever. And I've been attending for 10+ years. Interesting indeed.
I've only had french onion soup in a a bread bowl, but I'm down with that.

I've never been to this, but I have lugged a trebuchet to several SCA events all over IN and OH. Coupled with the Air Force museum at Wright-Pat, and I see a nice family weekend in my future.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads