• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT?] True AOL story.

tburdett

Explorer
I signed up for AOL's Bring Your Own Access plan because I thought it would be nice to have a big online email storage account. They let you attach 10 megabytes per email and have a very generous limit on the number of emails that you can store.

It is a good deal if you need to be able to move large amounts of data around and access it from various locations. Fortunately for me, my work just upgraded our entire computer infrastructure and I now have a 400 megabyte email account. I no longer needed the AOL account.

Well, my free trial time was coming to a close so I called to cancel. I had not used the service AT ALL during the time that I had it and I did not want to pay anything.

My call was taken by a very polite man named, and I kid you not, Habib. It sounded like Habib was from, or currently in, India.

I explained to Habib that I was a Bring Your Own Access customer and that I wanted to cancel my account before my trial period ended. I told him that I had been a trial customer for about a month now and had not sent or received a single email using my AOL account. I told him that I had no interest in using any other part of AOL, and that I had not even installed the AOL software.

Habib was distressed. He asked if he could extend my free trial period until March of 2004. I would not be billed. He guaranteed it. If I was billed I could call him personally and he would fix it.

I replied that I had not used the service, and that I would not use the service, and was not at all interested. Please cancel my account. We went back and forth for a couple of minutes as Habib detailed EXTENSIVELY the features that AOL offers. After each feature he would say, "Do you think that you might use that?" I would reply, "No, Habib, please just cancel my account."

At this point I was worried that Habib might start crying. He implored me to allow him to extend my free trial until June of 2004. His exact quote was, "As a friend and fellow human being, please allow me to keep your account open until June of 2004. There will be no charge. No charge!"

Ok, now I genuinely started to fear that Habib would keep me on the phone for hours. I also started to wonder if Habib would be beaten severely by his managers if he had to close my account. I am not sure what the labor laws are like in India, but I hope he is still okay.

I said that I really appreciated the offer, but that I was not interested. Habib was not ready to quit yet. He reached deep into his bag of tricks and said dramatically, "There, I have stopped your billing. Use the service and pay when you want to. Use it and if you want to pay, call us back and pay. There will be no charge unless you call back!"

I was now convinced that Habib was a dead man if I cancelled my account. Unfortunately for Habib, I did not want to call back later and fix a billing problem when AOL realized that I had been using their service for 6 years without paying a cent. I said, "Habib, I appreciate what you are trying to do. You have a job and part of that job is to convince me to not cancel my account. I understand that. Habib, please, as a fellow human being, cancel my account."

There was silence for a few moments. Then a few more moments. And finally I could hear Habib typing. When he spoke again, Habib said, "It is done. I have done it. I have cancelled your account." He said it like he had done something unspeakably vile. He said it like you would imagine a murderer confessing to a mass homicide. I almost felt dirty when I hung up.

Last edited:

KenM

Banned
Banned
When I first got online, I had AOL. When I changed my ISP and called AOL to cancel, they tryed to do everything they could to keep me from droping them. Extendinding the non billing peirod, ect. I think the AOL customer service people are trained to try to keep you with them, offer great deals so you don't cut the services you have with them, ect.. Them trying to keep me on got me more annoyed, I said "Look, all I want to do is cancel my service, are you going to do it or not?". Also, alot of companies out source to india these days for customer service. Low cost.

Enforcer

Explorer
My grandmother had an AOL account. When she passed away a few years back, my Dad (who had been paying most of her bills, including AOL's, for years) called AOL to cancel her account. They literally refused to do it, because she wasn't calling in person to cancel...after my Dad explained that she was dead. He wrote a very angry letter to AOL, with a death certificate attached, to finally get the job done.

I had a similar experience (no, I'm not dead...) when I tried to cancel my Sprint PCS cell phone account. They literally transferred me to four different people, all of whom had the job of making me keep my Sprint service. After way too long on the phone, my mission was finally accomplished. I dread to think what will happen when I want to cancel my AT&T Wireless account...

Zub

First Post
The thing to do is, try to cancel when you are happy with your service, and see if they try to keep you. I know there are a lot of good deals available to cell phone customers that they only find out about when they try to cancel their service.

Dimwhit

Explorer
That story is pretty weird. I mean, we've all had a hard time canceling something, but that is just ridiculous. Poor, poor Habib.

d20books

Rise of the Gamerati
The best site on the Internet

No, I'm not offering to send you to a "Penis Enlargement" site...

Planet Feedback for Consumers

It is a really neat service and something I would personally sign up for as a business if/when my business gets large enough and can afford it.

Got a problem with any business? You can get some really fast high level responses.

People I've used the service with (good and bad feedback).

Sears, Cingular, Comcast, Adelphia, CVS Pharmacy, and a few others I can't remember right now.

While I encourage you to use the venue to send nasty feedback to get your satisfaction, I also encourage you to use the venue to send positive feedback. I've received some very nice letters back and felt good about making sure that good customer service is rewarded and that those employees are recognized.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Have you noticed their new TV ad for AOL 9.0, the one with the little yellow AOL guy running around. I find it so hypocritical, they have this action packed ad with an attrachive girl in it, yet tells it is content safe and provides controls for parents. Just find it funny. :)

Murrdox

First Post
Poor Habib probably isn't a very good performer.

Those damned telemarketing companies take it out of employee salaries if they don't retain enough of the customers who call in. Habib probably lost one too many customers that week.

It's cruel.

Remove ads