(OT) Warcraft III

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
What about that Player's Guide to WarCraft 3 that WotC is supposedly going to be putting out? Any info on that?

Anybody think it'll be any good (the book, that is)?

EverSoar

First Post
I've only been waiting for WarIII for god knows how long. Blizzard has a high standard of games, and They cinematics are awesome. I' excited.

A2Z

Explorer
GnomeWorks said:
What about that Player's Guide to WarCraft 3 that WotC is supposedly going to be putting out? Any info on that?

Anybody think it'll be any good (the book, that is)?
I'd like to hear more about this too. I think it was first mentioned in those What's on my desk articles on the WotC website. Anyone know what it's going to be like? Or where I can find more info?

i8flesh

First Post
Warcraft III cancelled!

I was informed by Wizards of the Coast at the beginning of January that the Player's Guide to Warcraft III had been cancelled.

mmu1

First Post
DarwinofMind said:
As with all blizzard products, it will be done when it's done.

That's as close to a release date they'll say until it gets done.

There's a reason why Blizzard makes the best games out there, becuase they spend 3-4 years on one game, not shell out 3-4 games a year.
As for Technology, Look at the Screenshots, They are still ahead of the curve.

Well, now... I have no idea what the precise reason Blizzard makes decent games is - talented staff, I suppose - but I doubt it's because they take so damn long. (if that was a deciding factor, Pool of Radiance 2 would have been one of the best RPG's every made) The development time between, for example, Warcarft and Warcraft 2 was much shorter then between any other two games they've released AFTER they started to get serious name recognition. They take so long because they can afford to, now... And conisdering that of all their games, none have been technologically or conceptually innovative, they really do take shamefully long. What was the dev time between Diablo and Diablo 2 again?

Not that, like I said, they don't make pretty good games once in a while... But best? They'd have to stop doing the same game over and over... Hell, Warcraft III was changed to make it more like their previous RTS games after a lot of noise about how revolutionary it would be, just to play it safe.

Draco Argentum

First Post
Blizzard games are awesome because they take so long to iron out bugs and balence things. The quality is much better than from some other companies where it won't play out of the box without a patch.
Starcraft was so cool because of the differences between races and the plot in the single player campain. Each team has its own identity unlike most other RTS games. So what if the graphics are 2D sprites vs. total annihilations run time 3D. TA just doesn't have any form of plot and it sucks in single player.

Blizzard does the best gameplay, and this beats ssnazzy graphics any day.

Tsyr

Explorer
*shrug* I prefer the gameplay in TA, or Battle Realms, or Earth:2015 over that of Starcraft. I prefer almost ANYTHING to Diablo (Oh boy... clickfest... wheeee).

Hey, if you like the games fine. I'm sure there are tons of people who don't like what I like. But I'd hardly say they make the "best" games. Considering there is no "best" in games in the first place...

Heck, as far as I can tell, they have only ever really made two games. Warcraft and Diablo. Everything since then has been version 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, etc.

For the record, Diablo II wouldn't run out-of-the-box on my (or several other people's, judging by the responces I got on the boards) system when it came out, I had to wait for the first or second patch.

Grendel

First Post
Blizzard Ro><ors
Starcraft is the current record holder longest game to stay on hard drive.

NOTE: beta testers have been selected, and emails and CD are going out, if you are one of the unlucky ones (like me) visit this sight for some scraps of info.

http://www.battle.net/war3/

TalonComics

First Post
Re: Warcraft III cancelled!

i8flesh said:
I was informed by Wizards of the Coast at the beginning of January that the Player's Guide to Warcraft III had been cancelled.

The Warcraft III book is no longer showing up in my distributor's system so it looks like this is true.

~D

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I buy every Blizzard game and enjoy myself thoroughly with them. True, doing so doesn't exactly break my bank -- but I believe Blizzard puts more emphasis on fun than anyone else in the gaming community.

Their graphics aren't always the most advanced (although they're always flavorful). Their game concepts aren't always revolutionary (although they always nudge the envelope). But their balance, and their fun factor, is better than any other company I've seen.

I played Vampire: the Masquerade for a bit. It quickly became clear, however, that you could win the game by hiding in shadows, commanding other vampires to come toward you, and drinking their blood until they died. It far surpassed other strategies in efficacy, and was really boring (it took about 15 seconds to drain a body completely; during that time, you had nothing to do but watch).

On the other hand, a year after I started playing Starcraft, people were still developing revolutionary new strategies that completely changed how online games occurred. One month, someone would develop a killer strategy for the Zerg; next month, it would be an unbeatable way to play with the Protoss. The game was so well-balanced that people who played obsessively were still finding major new strategies a year after the game's release.

And Starcraft's story was damned near miniseriesworthy. A good miniseries, too.

I trust in Blizzard like I trust in no other company. Not everyone will enjoy them, natch, but I think they're Quality.

Daniel

Remove ads