(OT) Warcraft III

LightPhoenix

First Post
Whoops, my bad about the beta test thing, that's what I meant, of course :)

As for Blizzard... they pretty much IMO define a genre (RTS), I think that makes them one of the best. There are other good companies, no doubt, but when you think of real time strategy, the name that usually comes to mind first is Blizzard.

There are several areas Blizzard needs to improve badly, don't get me wrong. I think many people can agree that Battle.net is quite flawed with every game they've put out (hopefully changing with War3). Diablo is indeed a click-fest, and really doesn't offer anything new after you've played through it a few times. They're rather narrowly defined - only Diablo, Diablo 2, and World of Warcraft (Blizzard's upcoming MMO"RPG") aren't RTS games. All of them strongly rely on the online component.

And yes, I have issues with both the term RPG (a misnomer of epic proportions) and the idea that MMORPGs are in fact RPGs, but that's another topic.

LightPhoenix

Hejdun

First Post
Mixed feelings...

I have mixed feelings about Warcraft III. The torturously long time they spend to create their games doesn't show too much success, if you ask me. It will be at least a month or two after the release before Warcraft III will be balanced, following the pattern of their other releases. Starcraft had a slew of balancing problems, and Diablo II is STILL wracked with server bugs and shacky multiplayer. The graphics won't be too good, they will be inevitably dated (anyone remember the pixelized Diablo II characters?) I am sure the gameplay will be rich, but the graphics will be not soo great, and the balance will probably be shaky. My suggestion? Look at all the message boards that you can find on WCIII, see how many angry customers there are, etc. If, after a month or so, everything is running clean, and buyers are, for the most part, satisfied with the game, THEN you get it.

android

First Post
i'm on the beta team

I just got my announcement on wednesday....

Congratulations! You've been selected to participate in the Warcraft® III: Reign of Chaos(tm) Battle.net® Beta Program.

The Beta CDs have been sent out via Federal Express; you should receive yours within the next few days.

The beta test is just beginning. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten a CD yet so I can't tell you anything about what it's like just yet.

Draco Argentum

First Post
Stupid, lousy no non-Americans in the beta test.

Lets face it, gawking at the worlds greatest graphics gets boring after about a week. Without a story and gameplay to back them up there's no point playing. Thats why my favourite FPS is still Heretic.

Remove ads