Other Sorcerous Origins

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Good idea.

Fey Bloodline V.3

Fey Ancestor
Your fey heritage lends you some of the benefits of your ancestors. At 1st level, when not wearing armor, your base walking speed is increased by 10 feet. Additionally, you can communicate with plants and animals, but can only pass basic ideas and feelings back and forth.

Fey Spellcaster
At 1st level, your fey heritage makes your illusion and enchantment spells more potent. You may choose one target of your illusion or enchantment spells to have disadvantage on their first saving throw.

Fey Transposition
Starting at 6th level, on your turn, you may spend 1 sorcery point to teleport half your base walking speed (round down) instead of moving normally. This distance can be increased to your whole base walking speed by spending 2 sorcery points instead of one.

Improved Fey Spellcaster
Starting at 14th level, if a target of one of your enchantment or illusion spells makes their save to resist the spell’s effect, you regain a number of sorcery points equal to half the spell’s level (round down). This ability cannot give you more sorcery points than the maximum you can have for your sorcerer level.

One With The Fey
Starting at 18th level, you are transformed into a fey creature. You are now considered a fey for all spells and effects (making you immune to hold person, but can be affected by hold monster for example). You no longer age and are immune to aging effects. You can go twice as long as normal without air, food or drink, and no longer need to sleep. . . .

Why would any elf or gnome PC ever take that subclass? They're already fey creatures! That capstone feature gives them next to nothing.

For my part, I would be inclined to see the Sorcerous subclasses as bestowing "greater expression" of their respective bloodlines, in the sense that a Sorcerer gains more powers, spells, senses, insights, or what have you, but always related to the subclass, rather than bestowing physical changes.

Fey Bloodline v. ALT-1

Fey Face
Of course you don't really look like that, but they'll never know. You can keep that disguise in place all day! Starting at 1st level, you know the spell Disguise Self, and it doesn't count against the number of spells you know. Also, when you cast Disguise Self upon yourself, its duration becomes 27 hours per casting*, although the effect dwindles as time goes by, reverting more and more to "the way you usually look" as the day wears on. ("By midnight, your carriage turns back into a pumpkin.")
* (yes, "3-cubed" -- because a cube is a 3-dimensional form)
If you cast this spell to create the same disguise each day for three months, the dwindling of the disguise will become almost unnoticeable -- because then that will be "the way you usually look."
All the drawbacks of Disguise Self still apply, however -- so any creatures you spend a lot of time with will readily figure out your secret, even if you ask them most sincerely not to ever touch you.

Fey Resilience
Your soul is becoming more thoroughly fey. Starting at 1st level, if you end your turn affected by a charm effect*, at the start of your next turn you can make an additional saving throw against each charm effect then affecting you. You have disadvantage on that additional saving throw.
* (was going to be charm and illusion both. i decided that was too much.)

Fey Intensity
You can help someone feel that the world is more alive then ever before. Starting at 6th level, you know the spell Enhance Ability, and it doesn't count against the number of spells you know. Also, when you cast Enhance Ability, you can spend 1 sorcery point to cast it using only Somatic components -- that is, by touching the creature -- eschewing the boring Verbal and Material components.

Fey Otherness
You don't have to cast spells to be charming. Starting at 14th level, whenever you are speaking with a creature, you can spend 2 sorcery points to give yourself advantage on one Charisma (Persuasion) check* made to influence the creature to see things your way. The creature must be able to understand your speech. If the check succeeds, the creature also accepts that outcome as reasonable, and starts to reconstruct its memories to believe that it always saw things that way.
(Since this is not a spell, it cannot be reversed by either Remove Curse or Greater Restoration. Disreputable experts recommend countering this effect through intervention and reprogramming.)
* (your check might be part of a contest, opposed by the creature's Wisdom (Insight) check or the creature's Intelligence (Investigation) check, as the DM deems fitting.)

Fey Departure
Beginning at 18th level, you can use your action to spend 5 sorcery points to emulate the spell Arcane Gate. You must supply the required (V, S) components, but the range of the emulation is 1000 feet, not 500. Also, this emulation does not require Concentration: the duration of the emulation is 10 minutes, but you can suppress the portal effect while you Concentrate on doing so while you are within 500 feet of either portal. You can also dismiss this emulation at will (no action).

Last edited:

Afrodyte

Explorer
Though it is similar to the Draconic Bloodline, there's enough differences to make it distinct. Bonus Cantrip could use a better name, plus I don't see anything wrong with keeping the light cantrip when gaining spiritual weapon.

K. Here are the tweaks to a couple of the features.

• Divine heritage. You are considered a celestial for all spells and effects. You can read, write, and speak Celestial. Additionally, when you make a Charisma check when interacting with celestials, your proficiency is doubled if it applies to the check.
  • Bonus cantrip. At 1st level, you gain the light cantrip if you don't already know it. This does not count against the cantrips known for your level. At 6th level, you also gain the spiritual weapon spell if you don't already know it, and it does not count against the total number of spells you know.

Afrodyte

Explorer
While it's on my mind, I was also thinking of replacing angelic wings with adding dispel evil and good as a bonus spell at 14th level.

Might also want to come up with new ways to use sorcery points.

Last edited:

Afrodyte

Explorer
I decided to completely redo a few of them to make them more flavorful and distinct from the draconic origin.

Celestial heritage. You are considered a celestial for all spells and effects. You can read, write, and speak Celestial. Additionally, when you make a Charisma check when interacting with celestials, your proficiency is doubled if it applies to the check.

Heavenly truth. The radiance of celestial consciousness pierces through what's hidden to uncover the truth. You can gain advantage on one Wisdom (Insight) or Intelligence (Investigation) check. Alternatively, you can gain advantage on one saving throw against one illusion or mind-altering spell or effect. You can do this a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier until you must take a long rest.

Celestial radiance. Starting at 6th level, when you cast a spell that deals damage, you can spend 1 sorcery point to add 1d10 + your Charisma modifier in radiant damage.

Celestial contact. Starting at 14th level, you can spend 5 sorcery points to contact one of the Upper Planes as though you were casting contact other plane. You must complete a long rest before you can use this ability again.

Celestial aura. At 18th level, you can channel the otherworldly presence of your celestial ancestry, causing those around you to become awestruck or frightened. As an action, you can spend 5 sorcery points to draw on this power and exude an aura of awe or fear (your choice) to a distance of 60 feet. For 1 minute until you lose your concentration (as if you were casting a concentration spell), each hostile creature that starts its in this aura must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be charmed (if you chose awe) or frightened (if you chose fear) until the aura ends. A creature that succeeds on this saving throw is immune to your aura for 24 hours.

Last edited:

RhaezDaevan

Explorer
I decided to completely redo a few of them to make them more flavorful and distinct from the draconic origin.

Celestial heritage. You are considered a celestial for all spells and effects. You can read, write, and speak Celestial. Additionally, when you make a Charisma check when interacting with celestials, your proficiency is doubled if it applies to the check.

Celestial resistance. You can spend 2 sorcery points to gain advantage on one saving throw against an enchantment or illusion spell or effect. You can do this a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier until you must take a long rest.

Celestial radiance. Starting at 6th level, when you cast a spell that deals damage, you can spend 1 sorcery point to add 1d10 + your Charisma modifier in radiant damage.

Celestial contact. Starting at 14th level, you can spend 5 sorcery points to contact one of the Upper Planes as though you were casting contact other plane. You must complete a long rest before you can use this ability again.

Celestial aura. At 18th level, you can channel the otherworldly presence of your celestial ancestry, causing those around you to become awestruck or frightened. As an action, you can spend 5 sorcery points to draw on this power and exude an aura of awe or fear (your choice) to a distance of 60 feet. For 1 minute until you lose your concentration (as if you were casting a concentration spell), each hostile creature that starts its in this aura must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be charmed (if you chose awe) or frightened (if you chose fear) until the aura ends. A creature that succeeds on this saving throw is immune to your aura for 24 hours.

Ooh, I like this version. My only problem with it is Celestial Resistance. Are celestials known for resisting enchantments and illusions exclusively? Perhaps change it to all mind-altering spells and effects, since it already has limited uses per day. I'd drop the 2 sorcery point cost, as you're already limiting the number of times per day it can be used and sorcerers don't get sorcery points until 2nd level so it has no use at 1st. Maybe the 2 sorcery points would allow you to share the ability with an ally for one save, but still use up a use per day?

Afrodyte

Explorer
Ooh, I like this version. My only problem with it is Celestial Resistance. Are celestials known for resisting enchantments and illusions exclusively? Perhaps change it to all mind-altering spells and effects, since it already has limited uses per day. I'd drop the 2 sorcery point cost, as you're already limiting the number of times per day it can be used and sorcerers don't get sorcery points until 2nd level so it has no use at 1st. Maybe the 2 sorcery points would allow you to share the ability with an ally for one save, but still use up a use per day?

Nah, I don't see the sorcerer as a buff class. I'd probably nix the sorcery point cost.

Edit: Nixed sorcery point cost and put the emphasis on illusions and Insight.

Edit: Gave it a little something extra to be a little more useful.

Last edited:

Afrodyte

Explorer
Here is what I have for fiendish origin.

Fiendish heritage. You are considered a fiend for all spells and effects. You can read, write, and speak Abyssal or Infernal (your choice). Also, when you make a Charisma check when interacting with fiends, your proficiency bonus is doubled if it applies to the check.

Devilish trickery. Your fiendish blood gives you a knack for lies and manipulation. You can choose to have advantage on one Charisma (Deception) or Charisma (Persuasion) check. Alternatively, when you cast an illusion or mind-altering spell, one non-fiendish target has disadvantage on the saving throw against the spell. You can do this a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier before you must take a long rest.

Hellfire and brimstone. Starting at 6th level, when casting a spell that does damage, you can spend 1 sorcery point to add 1d10 + your Charisma modifier in fire or poison damage.

Fiendish influence. Starting at 14th level, you can spend 6 sorcery points to cast mass suggestion. Any target that is not a fiend has disadvantage on the saving throw against this spell.

Fiendish gaze. At 18th level, you can channel the overwhelming dread of your fiendish ancestry, causing those around you to become utterly terrified. As an action, you can spend 5 sorcery points to draw on this power and exude an aura of fear to a distance of 60 feet. For 1 minute until you lose your concentration (as if you were casting a concentration spell), each hostile creature that starts its turn in this aura must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be stunned until the aura ends. A creature that succeeds on this saving throw is frightened.

Last edited:

Khaalis

Adventurer
Love the thread. Sorcerer definitely needs the expanded Origins, much as my old Lineage Sorcerer for 3E. Look forward to what else comes along and may even add a few of my own once I get a better grasp on he new rules.

Afrodyte

Explorer
I like the idea of sorcerers being intuitive spellcasters who draw from their own personal reserves of passion, will, and imagination. As flavorful as the wild mage is, rolling for the effects of a wild magic surge is a bit too wacky for me. Rather than completely rewrite the wild mage, which functions just fine for what it is, I'd much prefer to create a separate origin that incorporates the unknown origin while also allowing for something a bit more focused than the wild mage.

I'm not quite sure what to call it at this point, but here are some preliminary ideas:

Sorcerous Healing. You can draw from a spring of arcane power to help your body recover from injury. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to expend one spell slot and regain hit points equal to 1d6 + your sorcerer level + your Charisma modifier. Once you use this feature, you must take a short or long rest before using it again.

Arcane Expertise. At 6th level, choose one spell or cantrip that you know. Your proficiency bonus for the Save DC of that spell or cantrip is doubled for that spell. If you replace the spell you chose for this feature with another spell, you can apply this benefit to another spell that you know.

Arcane Vitality. At 14th level, the deep wellspring of magic within you sustains you so that you are more resilient and retain your vigor and mental sharpness well into old age. You gain one extra saving throw proficiency of your choice. You also do not suffer the frailty of old age and you can't be aged magically. You can still die of old age, however.

Potent Sorcery. At 18th level, you gain a number of extra sorcery points equal to your Charisma modifier (maximum 5).

I really like what I'm seeing in this thread! I particularly like the alternative you came up with for the angel wings - I feel it's been done to death. (I'm thinking of replacing the capstone ability for Vengeance paladins for the same reason.)

My one concern is that if you're treated as a celestial or a fiend by spells, you can actually be hedged out by Magic Circle and so on. Feature rather than bug?

Remove ads