Our Physical Fitness

Divine2021

Adventurer
Former professional lifter here, was 370 at my heaviest. Since have retired from the sport, and taken up combat sports. Boxing and BJJ combined have seen me down to 285, and I hope to keep losing as I keep it up. I want to enter a Golden Gloves competition when I’m 40 to see if I can beat up any other old guys like me :)

Clint_L

Hero
I've never been a big guy, but I try to stay in shape. I do an hour each weekday, half cardio and stretching and half weights. We also go climbing as time permits, and I always walk to do chores like groceries and so on. I was diagnosed with some heart issues around a decade ago, so I'm pretty religious about my routine.

My diet could be better, though. I watch my caloric intake, but too much of my diet is snack foods rather than healthier options.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
One thing I'm finding as I get older is that the movements and weight ranges that tend to get me strongest the most efficiently also wreak havoc on my joints. My poor, poor knees and elbows. :p
I feel you on that. (also on the Covid derailing; that hit me hard last year and I injured my back coming back too hard and too quickly).

Have you looked into routines where you use a somewhat lower weight, but use a deep/full Range of Motion, a really slow (even 4-5 seconds, depending on the lift) controlled eccentric, and a pause of a second or two in the maximally-stretched position? Those can be a lot easier on your joints while milking a LOT of extra stimulus and strain on the muscles out of a lower weight. They can feel a little bad for the ego because I'm struggling to do reps at lower weight than I'm able to do with faster motions and no pause, but from a practical standpoint it's awesome to get the same or similar work in using lower weight, because of the reduced joint strain and injury risk.

Cable exercises can also be really good for the smoother resistance curve. I had hurt my left shoulder recently and found that my usual chest staples of dumbbell and barbell press were painful, but cable flies were much less so, while getting great isolation and mind/muscle connection to my pecs.

Evaniel

Filthy Casual (he/him)
I feel you on that. (also on the Covid derailing; that hit me hard last year and I injured my back coming back too hard and too quickly).

Have you looked into routines where you use a somewhat lower weight, but use a deep/full Range of Motion, a really slow (even 4-5 seconds, depending on the lift) controlled eccentric, and a pause of a second or two in the maximally-stretched position? Those can be a lot easier on your joints while milking a LOT of extra stimulus and strain on the muscles out of a lower weight. They can feel a little bad for the ego because I'm struggling to do reps at lower weight than I'm able to do with faster motions and no pause, but from a practical standpoint it's awesome to get the same or similar work in using lower weight, because of the reduced joint strain and injury risk.

Cable exercises can also be really good for the smoother resistance curve. I had hurt my left shoulder recently and found that my usual chest staples of dumbbell and barbell press were painful, but cable flies were much less so, while getting great isolation and mind/muscle connection to my pecs.
Thanks for responding, and you're dead on about the ego part. It's something that I'm still trying to adapt to. Full ROM has never really been a problem for me, and it's one of those dimensions of ego-lifting that's pretty easy to circumvent. Rather, it's the nebulousness of paused reps, controlled negatives, etc. that messes with me. On the one hand, it's obvious that those are helpful; on the other, it's easy for me to get in my head about them: e.g. "Does that really count as a rep? Am I really progressing?"

I'm hoping to make time this spring to experiment with those techniques a bit more since the goal is weight loss and strength maintenance rather than strength or muscle gain. Gonna be hard to let go of that "but I can do more!" mentality, so it helps to hear it from elsewhere. :)

And yes yes yes to cables. When I was younger, I disdained anything but free weights, but now--especially with isolation exercises--cables (and good machines in general) have been a godsend.

Clint_L

Hero
I agree about cable exercises. In general, I have tried to move away from machines and mostly just use free weights plus a few cable exercises, with less weight and slower movements, as you describe. I find that when I exercise on other machines I become more prone to injury; I think using free weights or cables forces me to also employ stabilizing muscles that don't get as engaged when using rigid machines.

I work out at my school's fitness centre, and watching teenagers on weight machines always makes me wince. Particularly leg press. Whoever invented leg press machines must have hated intervertebral discs. The kids invariably tilt the seat as far forward as possible so that they are pushing in a completely hunched over position. Similarly, on the pec deck they extend the range as far back as possible, so they start pushing with their elbows way behind the plane of their chests. They're young, so they mostly get away with it. For now.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I agree about cable exercises. In general, I have tried to move away from machines and mostly just use free weights plus a few cable exercises, with less weight and slower movements, as you describe. I find that when I exercise on other machines I become more prone to injury; I think using free weights or cables forces me to also employ stabilizing muscles that don't get as engaged when using rigid machines.

I work out at my school's fitness centre, and watching teenagers on weight machines always makes me wince. Particularly leg press. Whoever invented leg press machines must have hated intervertebral discs. The kids invariably tilt the seat as far forward as possible so that they are pushing in a completely hunched over position. Similarly, on the pec deck they extend the range as far back as possible, so they start pushing with their elbows way behind the plane of their chests. They're young, so they mostly get away with it. For now.
I sometimes feel like the decades of procrastinating, while frustrating for having missed out on youthful easy gains, had a silver lining in that once I finally started a few years ago, I had a much more sensible attitude about injury prevention. My brother-from-another-mother who finally got me into the gym and was my workout buddy was himself a high school athlete. He worked out a lot in his 20s, off and on since, and has had multiple real injuries, a rotator cuff surgery or two, a series of cortisone shots to his shoulder, etc. I went two solid years of lifting in my 40s with no significant injuries. (Before finally hurting my back 13 months ago coming back too fast from Covid, and, alas, my physical therapist thinks, because I neglected my core muscles and my back didn't have enough accessory support for deadlifting, so I can't be too proud).

Leg press, BTW, is another exercise which is awesome with the slow negative/eccentric, pause at the bottom, and push hard concentric technique too. You're totally right that it's one that you see people using crappy form all the time on. I constantly see folks cheating themselves on the range of motion to do more weight and have to bite my tongue to avoid saying something.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Thanks for responding, and you're dead on about the ego part. It's something that I'm still trying to adapt to. Full ROM has never really been a problem for me, and it's one of those dimensions of ego-lifting that's pretty easy to circumvent. Rather, it's the nebulousness of paused reps, controlled negatives, etc. that messes with me. On the one hand, it's obvious that those are helpful; on the other, it's easy for me to get in my head about them: e.g. "Does that really count as a rep? Am I really progressing?"
Absolutely. Me too. A key for me is keeping the counts as consistent as I can. Like, count "one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand" on the negative for dumbbell bench, count "one one thousand" for the pause, then just push hard on the concentric. Whereas for RDLs it's a 5 count on the descent because of the longer range of motion.

I'm hoping to make time this spring to experiment with those techniques a bit more since the goal is weight loss and strength maintenance rather than strength or muscle gain. Gonna be hard to let go of that "but I can do more!" mentality, so it helps to hear it from elsewhere. :)

And yes yes yes to cables. When I was younger, I disdained anything but free weights, but now--especially with isolation exercises--cables (and good machines in general) have been a godsend.
😁

darjr

I crit!
First, lifting hungover is not great.
Belated Flex Friday
And I love rowing.
IMG_9398.jpeg
IMG_9401.jpeg

First, lifting hungover is not great.
Belated Flex Friday
And I love rowing.
View attachment 344707
View attachment 344708

Are you doing row exercises or actual rowing of a boat? (just curious)

I have been sputtering along this week. Every other day I get a full weight routine in and some very light in door cardio (honestly not enough). And on alternate days my pattern has been just getting a few weight exercises I missed (not even to the point where I break a sweat). On those alternate days I sometimes just do sets in between work and other things throughout the day. And I get at least one rest day. I would like to up my cardio a bit and maybe get involved in something at a Gym again

Remove ads