out of my character

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruthia

First Post
AFK happens. It is unfortunt and a pain sometimes but it does. Everything from a simple milk spill by the kids, to a phone call from mom, all the way to the bigger more important my child is sick could be a reason for said AFK. People don't go AFK just to irritate those who want to RP with them, because well if that was the case I think a lot less people would RP with them.

Lounge sitters. Yeah that bugs me sometimes too. But honestly I can only think of one character who does it on a regular basis and that character has GOOD reason to. The person said player is trying to catch is only on sparadically and has no messanger. And said player can not bring the character into chat do to obvious dangers for said character without the person around.

Groups. Well yes, they exsist. And many times there are reasons they do. The biggest reason I see and hear is that the group exsist so fufill a storyline. But I want to again point out a suggestion I have EVER time I hear this same complaint.

IF YOU WANT IN THE GROUP OR STORYLINE, THEN WHY DON'T YOU JUST ASK?

I'm sorry, but it really is that simple. The worst that can happen is the person says no right? And when I say ask, I mean OOC. Don't barge in and pretend you already know everything about the character your trying to interact with. I don't know about other people, but I find that annoying. Characters who run up to me and go "Rawr, Ruthia your a *%^& and a *(&* and a dragon so I'm going to kill you!" normally get the reaction of me simply leaving the room.

And I know I know. Some of you are thinking "But Ruthia, this is open ISRP. We shouldn't HAVE to ask." Ok, yes. Your right. You shouldn't have to ask. But, it is polite and it lets the player know you would like to interact. But another thing to point out. This IS open ISRP. Meaning the groups everyone complains about, have the same amount of right to be there as you do.

Well, thats my two cents. You can shoot at me now.

*takes a bow and walks off*

Last edited:

Ruthia

First Post
Another thing I'd like to point out about this whole "group" thing. Are you referring to the little groups like say; Jazzmyn, Jeana, and Jeajea or Ryth and Oriza? If so I wish to point out a reason behind these smaller groups. Some of them were formed because other people won't interact with them. For example every time I've brough Ruthia in, people leave the room or ignore her. There for, why would I WANT to interact with anyone else besides the one person who WILL interact with me?

Plus think of real life. Your in a bar. Five people you don't know walk in. Yes you might glance at them, you may even nod in greeting....but chances are your going to go back to your own group of friends and conversation. It's just how it is.

*shrugs* Again, this is only my two cents..ok maybe I'm up to three or four cents now.

*scampers back to the neither regions of her own mind*

back to the afk/busy issue..more so for afk i would think than the busy..i have family and children as well and i am 40 yrs old....one, if u have a sick child what in the heck are you doing on en world in the first place? i mean seriously a priority check in severly needed in that situation. second, if you know you will be on only for a short time (like 10-15min)due to real life, why log on at all. three, if you are waiting for a particular character to show up, then dont log on till you see that characters name pop up on the list or, go to one of the rooms and at least make an attempt to interact with others while you are waiting..case in point..i have seen one character in particular log on and stay in the lounge doing nothing for 12 full hrs. As far as the bar analogy goes, i dont think(in my opinion) it compares..rping gives you the chance to overcome real life barriers by being something that you are not in real life. so walking up to someone and attempting to talk to them and interact with them is far less stressfull than in real life..if you get rejected, then you can be like.."oh well, thier loss or i didnt like thier character anyways"...it seems to me(once again my opinion), that everyone is far too busy being dark and mysterious to be able to interact with anyone. we all know that most of the charactes presented here dont even come close to the norm they should be. but as in real life, there are exceptions to everything. just because you are used to small groups and like it that way, doesnt mean you cant try new things now and then. you might be suprised. there are alot of storylines and alot of other characters to interact with, dont allow yourself to have tunnel vision just because you are comfortable with what you have..i'm not calling anyone any names or saying they should act a certain way, i just like to voice my opinion on various things like everyone else. what you ultimately decide to do is your choice. but if any of us on this site purposefully avoid, exclude out, or just plain ignore other players simply because we are happy with our "cliche", then there will always be complaints no matter what we try to do to make isrp better. most players are curteous enough to stay out of other peoples conversations or storylines unless invited. but if it comes to the point where a player has to bounce from room to room until someone talks to them or they get a response from someone, dont you think thats a little bit ridiculous?..i do...thanks for listening

Bari

First Post
Well I have a simple solution, that should keep everybody happy. Next time someone stays too long in the Lounge, just invite them to RP. If they don't want to, well heck, it's a game not a job. They have their own reasons, so, leave them to them. There is no point in making a thread to tell people to stop logging on if they are going to play. Logging on doesn't really affect anybody. If you are curious about why a player stays there all the time, ask him/her personally? (S)He'll answer as (s)he sees fit. And if it bothers one that he gets no answer, then don't mind? They have the right of privacy. "The people deserves to know" is a lie invented by the media.

Now, if the point of this thread is to not-be ignored, it's a different thing. I'd recommend to talk personally and privately with the people that you feel ignore you. Or in any case, make a thread calling them "to talk", but not adressing the whole community.

Just remember, that people are free, or are at least supposed to, and respect it. If you see a problem, then try to provide a solution, but even if it does help to simply make the problem known, this problem in particular is surely already known and has been treated before. I'm not saying that anybody's wrong here. But, what I'm trying to say is, that I see no point in this thread. A good formula to make thread is:

Title

Introduction
General problem description
Hypothethical solution
And a "Do you agree?" or something alike, to end it.

This thread lacks the Hyphothethical Solution, hence, it's foreseeable that many people, if not all, will just disregard it as a "whine" or a "rant", and even if it's wrong of them, they cannot be blamed for it, it's natural. Some people, who have had to deal with many supposed "whines" are simply tired of them, and will, when a thread doesn't fill these standard procedures, simply ignore it and say to "get over with", because, if the starter doesn't provide a solution, a base, how are the others supposed to? If they were, they would have started their own threads. Sometimes, this "tired people" might blurt out rather harsh answers like "well then leave" or "go away", but they probably don't mean it, and, even if it's silent, should be forgiven.
Grammar and punctuation are not something people want to pester others with, but it's actually a good trick for the thread-starter to attract positive attention. It's not something one should be blamed for, but it is recomendable nonetheless. There is a problem with grammar and that is, that for some of us, or at least me, it might be hard to read in typos, because english is my second tongue, and sometimes, when I see a mispelled word (even if it's just by one letter!) I get stuck in there and am generally quite unable to sort it out.

I might have bounced really out of topic with this answer, but I'm just trying to provide a guideline of sorts, for possible conflicts to be avoided in the future. It's by no means a "scold" (who am I to do that?) or an order (again, I am no one to do that) but a suggestion (as I -am- someone to do that, being part of the community.)

Last edited:

Willow_Calypso

First Post
I think the sick child example has been taken out of context. Most players with children RP when their children are otherwise busy and don't serve as a distraction, though like most parents are accustom to there are situations that will arise and a child becomes a distraction. Something as simple as the child in question wakes up abruptly or gets an upset stomach. So calling someone priorities into question is quite rude when it comes to the care of their children. When not an active person in their household, tossing a subjective opinion around like that will be greeted with hostility. Expect some serious backlash.

There is no mandate saying how long someone can or cannot sit in the lounge. It simply isn't against the rules. There is also no rule saying a player has to play with other people. It is their option. Respect it. Don't try to board-bully them into interacting with players/characters they don't want to interact with.

Interruption arise. No one consciously logs on with the intent to go AWAY/AFK. It happens. The reasons vary. Normally the people who do so inform the other characters/players they're involved with it. The only issue I can logically see is if the character/player they're interacting with has a problem with it. If they don't and are willing to wait, then leave these said people alone. They're not hurting or disrupting anyone.

Some people enjoy their RP to have an air of realism. It fulfills whatever expectation they have. It doesn't necessarily have to be the same expectations as someone else. Some people may not want to play a character that is a social butterfly.

People can't be forced into acknowledging other characters. Throwing large message board tantrums only strengthens a players desire to avoid certain type of players (I am speaking from personal experience here). Complaints are perfectly welcome and gladly argued out. But realize that being combative about something is different then being passionate about it.

Mayu Amakura

Banned
Banned
*sigh* I'm siding with Willow on this matter. Things happen, that just draw us away from the computer, it happens. It isn't something we want to just do. and as for the children thing, wouldn't know, not a parent. I have an immature little brother though, does that count?

But, back onto my rant.. it seems the more I log onto the boards to see what is up, the more I see this constant bickering about what people don't like, what they think should be different. All we can do, my friends, is try to make a difference ourselves, instead of ranting on in the boards and having it do nothing but offend and catch people in the wrong way. You see? I have issues as well that involve ISRP, but I realized a long time ago that bringing them here onto the boards always either 1. Makes everyone all fidgety and rowdy or 2. Makes me look like a fool in the end. So I've learned not to bring them up anymore, and just try by myself to see what I can do to change it.. Mysteria.. I suggest you do the same.

Zeren

First Post
Haha...okay this is just ridiculous.

What exactly are you suggesting, Mystearia and Ghaelun? Should we eliminate people's right to stay in the lounge and walk away from the computer? Should we eleminate people's right to choose whom they interact with? I don't know about the rest of you but it sounds just a wee bit nazi-ish to me!

Best thing to do, you two, is address a problem politely and directly and offer solutions. When you realize that your solutions are more like those being provided closed-minded dictators you realize your problem...well...I think I've made my point.

I don't understand why this is even being discussed when there is no real fair answer for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads