Over Half Of New D&D Players Got Into Game From Watching Online Play

I know this is really a small issue if any at all, but yet I find it mildly disturbing that so many people watch others play D&D instead of playing it themselves... it's kind of similar to the rise of "eSports" and their possible inclusion even in the olympics. And also my kids are starting to watch people play Minecraft on youtube instead of playing it themselves! It's ok to watch...

I know this is really a small issue if any at all, but yet I find it mildly disturbing that so many people watch others play D&D instead of playing it themselves... it's kind of similar to the rise of "eSports" and their possible inclusion even in the olympics. And also my kids are starting to watch people play Minecraft on youtube instead of playing it themselves! It's ok to watch occasionally to get some inspiration, but if it's more often than the real thing then it raises some questions...

I think live streaming helps a lot in removing the stigma surrounding D&D, and show people just how much fun it can be. I think it helps to get people interested, who would otherwise not even bother.

DaveDash

Explorer
I like to watch people play games for a variety of reasons.

One, to learn from them. For instance, I have almost a thousand hours on EU IV. I thought I was pretty decent at it. Then I started watching people like DDRJake (before he went to Paradox), Arumba, and Florryworry and quickly realized how much I could learn from them. In the Civ series, I watched MadDjinn to get better. When I raided hardcore in WoW, I watched the highest end players of my class to see how they reacted to certain situations.

Two, I enjoy their presentation of the game. If I found the host engaging, I'm more likely to watch them. I've cut out most of my TV watching (pretty much only the news and sports are left) and have replaced it with Twitch/Youtube watching. Generally speaking, I'm happier. Although I do have to catch up on Rebels.

Three, and this is specifically about RPGs, I enjoy watching others take part in hobbies that I also enjoy. I like to see what they do and imagine how I would run such a scenario or if there is a NPC or quest item I could steal to make my games better. Most of the time I have these games on at work like a podcast. I've listened to hundreds (probably closer to a thousands) of hours of gameplay. I've learned things that make me a better DM and a better player. I'd say it's worth it.

You don't have to watch and I respect anyone who doesn't or doesn't have the time to watch. But I really like Twitch and recommend it to everyone to at least try and see if it would be something they like.

This also describes my entertainment habits these days to a T.

I love playing D&D, but I can only do that once a week. I can watch masterful DMs like Chris Perkins run his campaigns (the ones I also plan on running) almost any time anywhere though - which is both entertaining and educational.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Definitely an interesting change. The gateway used to be word of mouth - somebody at school might come across a copy of a game and persuade their friends to join in.its good that there are more avenues of player acquisition these days.

The first time I heard of D&D it was being broadcast on Cable Access TV on a Saturday night. I've been playing ever since and that was nearly 40 years ago.

Mallus

Legend
It's ok to watch occasionally to get some inspiration, but if it's more often than the real thing then it raises some questions...
It certainly does raise some questions. Why are these kids on my lawn? Why don't they get of?! :)

I just started dipping my toes, so to speak, in D&D livestreams/plays. The 2nd season of Force Grey is pretty entertaining. I understand Matt Mercer's earlier series is better, but at 3-4 hours per episode it's a little inaccessible - like 91 or so Tarkovsky films. I'm curious about it, though. World enough and time...

What strikes me after my brief exposures to watch online play is how similar it is to the game show of my youth; appealing casual entertainment. You could plunk the the Force Grey crew into the Hollywood Squares and no one would bat an eye.

Which makes me pine for the non-existent footage of Charles Nelson Riley playing D&D back in the 1970s.

Also, playing any form of live D&D takes a significant time commitment. Watching a video can happen anytime, anywhere (there's a signal), for as long or short as you like.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
"Why are you watching someone playing a game instead of doing the work of playing the game yourself?" is the 21st century equivalent to things like "Why are you watching that television show instead of doing the work of visualizing the story in your head as you listen to this radio program?", or "Why you are you listening someone tell you this story on the radio instead of doing the work of imaging the story in your head as you read a book?"

Unless you (general you) think that your life and the lives of others of your generation sucks and you made horrible, horrible mistakes... you survived and have become happy citizens doing things that your parents thought were going to be a downfall of society too. And the same is going to be said of our children.

I know this is really a small issue if any at all, but yet I find it mildly disturbing that so many people watch others play D&D instead of playing it themselves...

Just backing up, I disagree with your premise. Why is it an "instead"? Where is the evidence that they don't do both?

In fact, the article gives a lot of evidence that that is exactly what is happening - they are watching and playing:

D&D had its most profitable year ever in 2016, and is on track to surpass it in 2017.

“Over half of the new people who started playing Fifth Edition [the game’s most recent update, launched in 2014] got into D&D through watching people play online,” says Nathan Stewart, senior director of Dungeons & Dragons.

It’s also common for gamers who get hooked on these series to begin broadcasting RPG campaigns of their own.

By comparison, there’s a certain punk-rock accessibility to liveplay. It’s like that old apocryphal story that everyone who bought the first Velvet Underground album started a band of their own; people watch these shows and think, “I could do that.”

Of course, without full surveys and what not, there's no hard numbers that we know. But what little we have says that they are not watching instead of playing, they are doing both - and more are playing because of the watching.

My kids are big into watching people play video games online as well, because they are entertained by the people who make the videos. But they also still play those games as well and even learn about new games to try that way. I think the evidence is actually that it's more common for people to do both - and even more people playing because of those videos.

Last edited by a moderator:

amuller33

Explorer
Southpark dedicated an entire episode to people watch video gamers. I don't get it I'm 46 so I'm from the older generation... but My kids love watching these videos. I let them, but I always encourage them to try it themselves. To me thats the key, sure I watch professional Sports and Cooking shows . But I play them when i can and I try new recipes all the time. Inspiring and education VS replacing one's gratification and enjoyment. Its NOT a fine line IMHO, but to each their own

ehh what ken said.. People .. well my kids.. do both

cmad1977

Hero
Wait a minute. This can’t be true. I was told 5e was failing and would die on the vine. I heard it in many threads by the same 2 people right here on these very boards!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove ads

Remove ads