• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

over powered classes, a thought

Greylock

First Post
Too many DMs assume that anything "new" is broken, and stopped reading splats books half-way into the 3.0 series. Or they disallow everything non-core out of hand, and point to the VoP.

Yes, I have met these DMs. Often. And tried to argue, but it is no use. The early 3.0 stuff fairly well ruined char options for many players that followed afterwards.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
guardianfallenangel said:
my dm, while a terrific dm, has a habbit of looking at classes (i.e. dragonshaman, dragonfire adept) and thinking they're overpowered because they can do a number of different things.
They very well could be. I haven't seen them myself. But there certainly are classes that are out-of-whack.
For the most part the classes that I've seen (haven't seen warblade) seem pretty balanced. I just wanted to see if I could convice anyone else of what I was thinking.
If you are saying "classes are mostly balanced" it depends entirely on your sample set. As I said, there are definitely unbalanced classes out there.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
guardianfallenangel said:
Mostly do to the fact that my dm, while a terrific dm, has a habbit of looking at classes (i.e. dragonshaman, dragonfire adept) and thinking they're overpowered because they can do a number of different things.

Certainly a common mistake.

People are easily dazzled by a large array of unusual abilities, but fail to imagine the downsides that would crop up in acutal play. Certainly the number of "The Monk is overpowered" and "The Paladin is overpowered" threads for both 3.5 and 3.0(!!!) would strongly suggest that some do not think about downsides carefully become jumping to conclusions.

However, I would point out that there may be a class that is not overall unfair in play, but may kinda suck to have those mechanics in the game for the sake of fun of everyone involved, e.g. the 3.0 Psion and Psionic/Mind Blast.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads