• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Overpowered/Underpowered Spells?

Synchronicity

First Post
Hey, don't anybody forget Slime Wave! In 3.0 it was sick as all hell; what do you mean 1d6 Con damage PER 5ft OF FACING?! Now in 3.5 (it's in Complete Divine)...wait for it....it's not changed a bit! The damn thing has only two redeeming features; a) Reflex negates, and b) The slime is dissolved by sunlight. However...1d6 Con damage per 5ft of facing! Throw it at Gargantuan and Colossal creatures, and laugh. So much Con drain it's not even funny. And if they flub the save, they can't do squat about it save a) blast themselves with fireballs/coldballs to burn/freeze the stuff off or b) spend a full-round action to scrape off a 5ft patch of the stuff. 'Cause getting rid of ONE of the patches is so going to save your life. So if they have bad Reflex and no fire or cold based area thingies, they're screwed. *sigh* It's so banned in all the games I play and run.

Khristos

First Post
Timestop.... so broken it isnt even funny

Holyword.... and its multi alignment brethern also very broken

Planar Binding..... Calling spells are insanely powerful

Truestrike... +20 at 1st level? makes quickening it handy

Otto's Irresistable Dance... better hope you have Mind Blank

sithramir

First Post
The Souljourner said:
Thanks for the support :) Disjunction bugs me more than it's overpowered I guess. Automatic dispel is powerful... buffs at higher levels can really swing the tide of a battle, and I never like anything that destroys magic items.

-The Souljourner

Does noone pay attention that Disjunction is a 1 round casting time? Yes the effect is very harsh but EVERY other person gets a chance to interupt the spell, move, escape, or what not. Yes it does suck for those without spellcraft.

But the large radius actually is what hurts it the most. Usually a combat ends up with either some of your allies too close to the foes or the foes too close to you. Basically this spell is powerful if you have archmage shaping and a greater quicken rod.

To do this however, you've had to spend 3 feats, a PrC, and spent 135,000 gps. I think it's ok.

My players were all psyched when we were at 18th level and they could use it. I explained to them that if they keep using it, other mages will start using it on them first and they didn't like that idea.

In my games it usually ends up that it's a mutually agreed thing throughout wizard ranks to not use the spell on other wizards but only in dire situations. Especially since a lot of mages worship Mystra or another god of magic that would not favor destroying lots of magical items.

Khristos

First Post
MDJ isnt overpowered for the reason it destroys magic items. It is overpowered in the arsenal of GMs I suppose who probably care little for loot. An item MIGHT save against it if in a persons possession. it is pretty trivial magic compared to Time stop which if used in an enterprising fashion by a player can guarantee victory for 4-8,000 gps (they just need to make sure the payoff is worthwile)

WCrawford

First Post
Underpowered Spell: Sound Burst.

IMO, this spell should have been 1d8 damage per 2 levels with a 5d8 max at 10th level. Save for half and avoid the stun.

hong

WotC's bitch
Synchronicity said:
Hey, don't anybody forget Slime Wave! In 3.0 it was sick as all hell; what do you mean 1d6 Con damage PER 5ft OF FACING?! Now in 3.5 (it's in Complete Divine)...wait for it....it's not changed a bit! The damn thing has only two redeeming features; a) Reflex negates, and b) The slime is dissolved by sunlight. However...1d6 Con damage per 5ft of facing! Throw it at Gargantuan and Colossal creatures, and laugh. So much Con drain it's not even funny. And if they flub the save, they can't do squat about it save a) blast themselves with fireballs/coldballs to burn/freeze the stuff off or b) spend a full-round action to scrape off a 5ft patch of the stuff. 'Cause getting rid of ONE of the patches is so going to save your life. So if they have bad Reflex and no fire or cold based area thingies, they're screwed. *sigh* It's so banned in all the games I play and run.
I don't see what's so horribly broken about slime wave. As a 7th level spell, the alternative is casting destruction, and killing the target outright instead of causing Con damage. Perhaps the area effect (which allows multiple instakills) might be overpowered against lots of enemies. Having a Ref save instead of Con might also make it more useful against melee brutes.

Synchronicity

First Post
hong said:
I don't see what's so horribly broken about slime wave. As a 7th level spell, the alternative is casting destruction, and killing the target outright instead of causing Con damage. Perhaps the area effect (which allows multiple instakills) might be overpowered against lots of enemies. Having a Ref save instead of Con might also make it more useful against melee brutes.

The Ref save's mostly the point I was making. I mean, Great Wyrm dragon. You can either throw a Fort save-or-die at them, which they pass in their sleep; or, they can try a Ref save (not their best feature); and if they fail, take multiple (what, 4d6+?) dice of Con damage for 1 round/lvl. That's flipping harsh. It's both the Con damage and the fact the thing has a duration that makes it so ridiculous. Also, is Destruction still a death effect? I don't remember offhand; because if so, it becomes even weaker compared to Slime Wave, what with soulfire armour and the like. However, maybe I've just seen it used to hideous effect, and it's coloured my perceptions a little.

Thanee

First Post
Well, they could dispel it, or not? But the initial damage will stay, which is still quite a bit.

However, a dragon with such a high facing, might still be a pretty dangerous opponent. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads