• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Mistwell said:
What you are essentially saying is that one company did more PR in the first 24 hours after a press release than the other company (but both did some), and therefore the company that does less PR deserves all blame for any anger over the announcement, despite all signs that this was an amicable parting of the ways.

Actually, what it seemed to me he was saying is that it was an incredible marketing blunder for WotC- who has had at least much time as Paizo to prepare for this- not to have something more in place than a news item declaring "this is happening" to attempt to engender some goodwill from the community they hope to market their items to.

Much like Paizo is doing.

It's plainly a bad publicity move for them.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Mistwell said:
Are you stating, publically and on the record, that you were a principal party to the negotiations that took place and are privy to all details about the conversation concerinng the license re-up?

Oh, lord. What are you, Wizards' lawyer? The guy's in a better position than you to know what he's talking about, can't you just take him at his word?

Ranger REG

Explorer
Cthulhudrew said:
Actually, what it seemed to me he was saying is that it was an incredible marketing blunder for WotC- who has had at least much time as Paizo to prepare for this- not to have something more in place than a news item declaring "this is happening" to attempt to engender some goodwill from the community they hope to market their items to.

Much like Paizo is doing.

It's plainly a bad publicity move for them.
Not to defend WotC, I think they felt it's better to wait until the second to the last issues of the print magazine to circulate to unveil their digital initiative. They just want us to process this bad news for now and hopefully we chill out, despair, and surrender in WotC's name by September.

Though I do not want to be a Wizards employee assigned to go to GenCon this year. Woe to the poor schmuck.

caudor

Adventurer
I've been a D&D player since 1980, but try as I may, I just don't feel upset by the coming online content. In my view, it is about time that a real digital initiative got off the ground.

I can't tell you how many times I've flipped through a stack of books looking for a certain feat, spell, or something specific. Since CMP lost its license, a way to generate characters using existing (and future) published materials electronically is long overdue. I expect that a character generator will be part of the package.

These days, we should be able to use the power of the internet --with a suite of electronic tools--to play D&D with distant friends. The technology to make our game much easier to prepare/play exists. I don't think this means WotC will stop selling paper books; we will simply have more options.

Of course, as a long-time subscriber, I will miss Dragon & Dungeon like everyone else. I think Paizo did a fantastic job. Nevertheless, change is in the air and I'm ready for it.

Last edited:

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Not to defend WotC, I think they felt it's better to wait until the second to the last issues of the print magazine to circulate to unveil their digital initiative. They just want us to process this bad news for now and hopefully we chill out, despair, and surrender in WotC's name by September.

I see what you're saying, but it still seems like a bad move not to have anything to unveil at this time. Something, even just a snippet like their "Previews" section of the website that talks (sometimes in very general terms) about what's coming down the pike. It's something that would help to engender goodwill about the changeover, and might entice some of the vocal among us to seem less despairing than we are.

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Ranger REG said:
*snip*
Though I do not want to be a Wizards employee assigned to go to GenCon this year. Woe to the poor schmuck.
A real protest would be the GenCon Organizers asking them for no Official Representive

Just wanted to pop in here to say that today I expressed my thanks for Joshua Frost's, Erik Mona's, and James Jacob's excellent customer service over the course of the last few years up to and including the past 24 hours by subscribing to Pathfinder. Thank you to Cosmo, who took my order over the phone.

I will run Pathfinder as a PbP on EN World. For anyone interested in following along, here's the link to the recruitment thread:

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=194089

Ranger REG

Explorer
Cthulhudrew said:
I see what you're saying, but it still seems like a bad move not to have anything to unveil at this time. Something, even just a snippet like their "Previews" section of the website that talks (sometimes in very general terms) about what's coming down the pike. It's something that would help to engender goodwill about the changeover, and might entice some of the vocal among us to seem less despairing than we are.
Of course, I'm hoping that everyone who have chilled out will take reasonable action. If they have never written a letter before ... and I do not mean a manifesto nor a death threat ... they should start writing passionately why these magazines should remain in print.

And snail mail it to Wizards:

Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Attn Customer Service
PO Box 707
Renton, WA 98057-0707

"Why don't I just email them?" You asked.

Then you're proving to them that the internet is the way to get information. They just want you pay for their information.

If you want something IN PRINT, then ask for them IN PRINT.

Sledge

First Post
I thought it was pretty clear from the Paizo forums that Paizo was not offerred ANY opportunity to renew the license. Wizards decided this unilaterally. Paizo has to refer to the situation as amicable as they have no grounds for complaint other than their disappointment. Wizards acted within their rights. This amicable breakup is more akin to renting a house for a few years, when suddenly the landlords send you an eviction notice with appropriate advance notice. You have to move, it may suck, but you can't sue the landlord.
This analogy seems to go further, since Wizards didn't ask for more money, they weren't looking for more money. The cancellation was done to strictly remove the competition. So in the rental analogy Wizards has just evicted everyone in houses, so that people will have no choice but to live in apartments.
In all of this Wizards is attempting to promote their interests as a business, namely profit. As legitimate as this is for them, to make decisions based on money, as a consumer I can be equally legitimate in expressing my disgust with their decision. I am not required to base my decisions and opinions on what is nice for Wizards. Wizards is simply gambling that they will have a better revenue stream this way.
I believe this is ultimately bad for everyone. Wizards has vastly underestimated the value that the magazines add to the property.
Alternatively Wizards has done this intentionally, knowing that it will damage the current market (especially when 4e finally shows and there are no print previews available at all) but are planning to abandon this market by then. The D&D brand may be moved to areas that they believe are more profitable.
Either way its bad for gamers. When something bad happens to a consumer in capitalism it is essential for them to express their frustrations in more than personal spending. So here I am saying that this move will probably be labelled one of the worst decisions in the history of D&D. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. In 10 years this could work. Today, no way.

Remove ads