D&D 3E/3.5 paladin 3.5 maximum charge/smite build

Dhusarra

First Post
human paladin 5/kensai 8/anointed knight 7

i want to make a paladin without mount and make as much as possible damage with charge smite.any suggestion is appreciated :D

1 Weapon focus(Greathammer), Combat Expertise, Exotic Weapon proficiency Greathammer(bonus feat from concept Former Squire in Quintessential Paladin book)
3 Ancestral relic
6 Extra smiting
9 Improved Smiting
12 Leap Attack Power Attack(bonus feat from anointed knight)
15 Divine Might Sanctify Weapon(bonus feat from anointed knight)
18 Martial Study(Mountain Tombstone Strike,tome of battle).i am not sure if i can take it at 18 level

I want to fit somewhere the improved initiative to take after the dire charge from epic level handbook and great smiting if are worth to take them

i will make a valorous weapon
change the mount for charging smite

Spells
Rhino's Rush
I want the spell Find the Gap but its 3 level spell paladin so i don't know if i can imbue my weapon with that spell somehow
Greathammer weapon is at the MM 3

I like the concept of kensai and anointed knight so it is good to make some changes in that build for better results and after will tell me other builds for maximized charge/smite NO MOUNTED :D
I want all the possible feats,spells,items etc for that build if someone can provide them :D

xigbar

Explorer
The collision weapon property, and the commetary collision feat in PHB2 might be nice. I don't see why you can't take M.T. Strike, it doesn't have prerequisites.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
The MIC has two items that largely duplicate Find the Gap. One is the Imapaling (+1 equivalent) weapon property for piercing weapons that works on one attack as a swift action 3/day. There's also the 3/day Heart Seeking Amulet, which is stupidly overpowered and only costs something like 2700 gp.

Why no mount, though? Trade Paladin mount for Charging Smite AND get a serviceable mount, either with Wild Cohort feat or Leadership feat.

Mountain Tombstone Strike cannot be combined with a charge. Any of the White Raven charge maneuvers work fine, though, and since they add a flat bonus damage (get the Leading the Charge stance, too!!!), it multiplies with your lance.

Get Power Attack and Leap Attack as you have above (your mount may also need them for your DM to allow a mounted Leap Attack) and 2-hand that lance even though you don't have to. Get the Discipline Weapon enhancement from ToB. For a +1, it gives you a +3 enhancement whenever in a stance of the chosen discipline. If you're in a WR stance 24/7 (and you can be, so no problem there), you're getting a +3 enhancement for the price of +1. Finally, don't spend feats on ToB stuff. Just dip into Warblade or Crusader (Warblade's better) at high level and get Battleleader's Charge or Warleader's Charge, whichever you can obtain, and the Leading the Charge stance. One lost Paladin level won't kill you, unless you DM doesn't allow you to go back, I hate that rule.

So, on a mount....

Leadership or Wild Cohort
Mounted Combat
Ride by Attack
Spirited Charge
Power Attack
Leap Attack
Improved Bull Rush (pre-req)
Shock Trooper (so you won't miss when you full PA)

Stance: Leading the Charge (+1/2 HD to charge damage, basically)
Maneuvers: Some sort of WR charge; Pouncing Charge
Weapon: Lance. If possible, get strongarm bracers from MIC and use a Large lance.
Relevant magic items: Heart Seeking Amulet or Impaling enhancement

Spells: Rhino's Rush

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
But if you still insist no mounted, the Greater Mighty Wallop spell in Races of the Dragon is stupid broken. Hour/level, +1 to effective size of the weapon for damage-purposes per 4 CL, max +5 sizes. Bludgeoning weapons only, sorc/wiz 3.

nijineko

Explorer
There is also a number of charge related feats in the miniatures handbook that boost charging damage. i seem to recall some that also allow you to throw a weapon while you are charging. there are also a number of ways to gain a pounce effect in a charge. combine the two for a free thrown attack plus a full attack at the end of the charge.

kitcik

Adventurer
Battle Jump, even without trying the "multiple full attack" cheese, is awesome.

Just remember - double double = triple in D&D...

Dhusarra

First Post
why i can't combine the Mountain Tombstone Strike in the charge.it says 1 standard action.

many says that i must have mount but what mount can i have in dungeons and underground lairs?

the anointed knight can make and an intelligent weapon after.its a little weird to have an intelligent lance don't you think? :)

i don't want to take stances that have prerequisites cause i must take and level of warblade and i want to focus in kensai and anointed knight cause i like the all concept :)i can't have them all.

and yeah the pounce is very good as i readied in many forums.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Charge is a full round action. Mountain Tomb Stone strike is a standard action. You cannot do both in the same turn. Even if you had a way to charge as a standard action, which is possible to do, you still could not combine them, because they're both their own unique standard actions.

And Leading the Charge stance has NO prerequisites at all. However, if you're getting any stance with the martial stance feat, THAT feat requires knowing a maneuver from the discipline first. Yet another reason to dip Warblade rather than wasting feats.

Dhusarra

First Post
yes you are right for the MTS.
let's say that i don't want the mount feats what changes you will make in that concept step by step.anointed knight and kensai are good prestige or must take something else as fist of raziel or something else?what you have in mind for paladin build to maximize damage in evil creatures?

i like the concept of anointed and kensai cause i have an ancestral relic and i treated like a soul of my body if you understand me and later can be intelligent with the same alignment as mine :)

Remove ads