• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Paladin/Cleric Multiclass help

faria

First Post
My level 4 cleric just died in my long-term group and they're letting me roll a new character.

I want to build an Oath of Vengeance Paladin this time (sent by the previous cleric character's god to avenge his death) but I want him to still be the group's main healer. Should I bother multiclassing Life domain cleric (even for just a level or 2) and if so, how should I build it?

What stat disbursement, race, feats, backgrounds would you take? My base rolled stats are: 8, 9, 11, 12, 15, 17

Last edited:

sidonunspa

First Post
I'm looking at this build for a 5e game we are about to start..

my plan is to go to 5th level paladin (maybe 6th) and go cleric (life) thr rest of the way

Race: Human (Alternate)
Background: Knight Background

1. P1 - Shield Mastery Feat
2. P2 - Dueling Style
3. C1 - Cleric (Life)
4-6 all the way to Paladin 5
7+ Cleric all the way

you will have two attacks a round, 2nd level paladin spells and 2nd level cleric spells to choose from at level 8..

Shield Mastery helps with your low dex save a little, also bonus action to shove someone with the shield is nice...

Feats Combat Caster and then stat boosts (strength and con) all the way... though pole arm master while fighting spear/shield sounds cool

you never cast spells to attack unless they are smite spells, your wisdom bonus is simply not nessessary

as far as paladin Oath... I like ancents because of the spells (entangling strike and misty step... nice) as your charisma can't be steller

in addition thinking of going 15, 14, 13, 10, 10, 10 with the point buy (Str: 16, Dex: 10, Con 14, Int: 10, Wis: 14, Cha: 10 after race stat bonus) the character is clearly more of a melee combat guy, +2 from wisdom is "ok" for "crutch" attack spells (when a target is out of melee range)

Last edited:

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
I'm a big fan of Shield Mastery + Duelist (see http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...ested-battle-rager-the-shield-using-Barbarian). But I saw your post about Polearm Master and shield & spear: alas, they don't work together. Polearm Master isn't usable with a spear. Only glaive, halberd, and quarterstaff (and pike).

To the OP: if you plan on mainlining Paladin, I recommend against dipping into Cleric. Keep in mind that each level outside of Paladin costs you 5 points of Lay on Hands, and delays your Oath and Aura benefits (a holistic view of "main healer" should also encompass preventing damage, as well as healing damage).

How do you envision this character? More of a protector type (sword & shield), who prevents damage to himself and others? Or more of a slayer type (great weapon), who prevents damage by killing attackers quickly?

faria

First Post
Well, I envisioned him as a "I am the flail of God" heavy melee avenger, but the group seriously needs a healer so...that's why I was seriously considering multiclassing life cleric.

I decided to go straight paladin and took Protection school to deflect some incoming damage and took Inspiring Leader to absorb some damage too. I still get my badass spiked flail (and shield) so I'm happy. The limited spell slots of straight paladin scare me a bit early on, but next level (level 5), the spell slots will double! (Poor balance design IMO, but whatever) Just gotta make it through level 4...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads