• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paladin mounts: Tough enough?

Corsair

First Post
I play in a rather dangerous DnD game, and before I consider a paladin, I was wondering if the mounts were tough enough as they come in the PHB to survive without going through the efforts to make a supermount or something equally silly.

Additional questions:

Are the 4 feats worth it (Track, Skill Focus, Devoted Tracker, Natural Bond) for 7 levels worth of druid animal companion goodies stacked on? (via Beastmaster and Natural Bond)

For the most part, am I better off using a normal mount upgraded via paladin levels, or an optional higher level mount?

Note that this will likely be a small sized character, to ride his mount indoors.

Thanee

First Post
Paladin mounts have proven to be quite tough in our games. Especially something like a half-celestial riding dog. We have a halfling paladin on half-celestial riding dog in our current campaign.

Since the paladin's mount is based on CR, it's likely most powerful to get as high a base creature (high HD) with as low paladin bonuses added to it as possible. Animals, for example, get +3 HD per +1 CR, while the paladin levels grant +2 HD per +3 levels, which is a lot less. Sure, they also get some natural armor and Str bonuses and some other goodies, but that hardly makes up for the huge difference in HD.

Note: I'm not sure, whether the rules are meant to be used in that way, that you take an advanced (as in HD added to the base creature) creature as the base mount. :)

Bye
Thanee

Krelios

First Post
In almost every game I've run or played in where there's been a Paladin, the mount (Warhorse) is tougher than the rider for the first few levels he has it. After that, it's about as powerful as a cohort; so, yes, they are tough enough. Of course, if the Paladin ends up with a special mount, so much the better.

Endur

First Post
The smaller mounts are going to be weaker than the mount a regular-sized Paladin would get, but they are more useful inside.

Klaus

First Post
The fastest way for a Paladin to maximize his mount is through the Wild Plains Outrider PrClass from Complete Adventurer. Only 3 levels, stacks with Paladin levels for mount purposes, and the 3rd-level ability Wild Plains Offensive (full attack if your mount moves its speed or less) is pretty nifty!

Klaus

First Post
Voadam said:
where are the rules for optional higher level upgrades?
I think he meant the alternate paladin mounts from the DMG.

Me, I allow a dragonsteed (Large dragon, stats = half gold dragon heavy warhorse) to be gained at 8th level, and paladin is considered to be at -3 levels for mount purposes (offsetting the +3 LA).

Corsair

First Post
Thanee said:
Since the paladin's mount is based on CR, it's likely most powerful to get as high a base creature (high HD) with as low paladin bonuses added to it as possible. Animals, for example, get +3 HD per +1 CR, while the paladin levels grant +2 HD per +3 levels, which is a lot less. Sure, they also get some natural armor and Str bonuses and some other goodies, but that hardly makes up for the huge difference in HD.

Where is this written? Is it in the DMG pages 204-205? If so, could you point it out exactly, as I must have missed it completely.

Thanee

First Post
Well, it's more of a combination of two rules...

1) In the DMG (special mounts section) the limits for paladin mounts are given as level -3 (or -4 for flying mounts) as maximum CR. It goes on to explain how a mount gains additional abilities, depending on the difference of the paladin's current level and the lowest level at which the paladin would be allowed such a mount.

2) In the MM (monster advancement section) is detailed, how the CR increases for advanced monsters.

Bye
Thanee

Corsair

First Post
Thanee said:
Well, it's more of a combination of two rules...

1) In the DMG (special mounts section) the limits for paladin mounts are given as level -3 (or -4 for flying mounts) as maximum CR. It goes on to explain how a mount gains additional abilities, depending on the difference of the paladin's current level and the lowest level at which the paladin would be allowed such a mount.

Ohhhh... now that chart in the DMG makes more sense! So let me try an experiment:

Poison Dusk Lizardfolk (small sized) Paladin 8 could have a CR 3 Deinonychus... which he could normally get at 6th level, so you use the chart on 205 to determine abilities.

Other than DM whim, what determines what can be a suitable mount? Does it have to be an animal or magical beast? Or could I have my Lizardfolk in hide armor carrying a spear and riding a rust monster?

Remove ads