• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paladin powers that "Mark"

Rechan

Adventurer
Okay, I know that the Paladin has a specific marking ability that is Divine Challenge.

However, several of the paladin's attack powers also mark one or more foes.

Are those people marked with a normal ol' "-2 to anyone but me" mark, or a Paladin's divine challenge?

Lacyon

First Post
Vorhaart said:
If that's true, do the new marks supersede the "you can only mark one foe at a time" general rule as well?

I don't think there is a "you can only mark one foe at a time" general rule.

Some powers and features (Divine Challenge, for one) only allow one foe at a time to be marked by that power or feature.

To the OP: Unless the power specifies an additional effect, marked is just -2 to hit on any attack that does not include the marking creature as a target.

Andur

First Post
No one marked foe rule as fara s I can tell.

Divine Challenge is an ability which marks and applies other factors, it is not a mark though.

Fighters mark all creatures which they attack, whether they hit or miss...

Paladins and Fighters are the two main "markers", with Warlock and Ranger being pseudo-markers...

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
The rule is, you can only have one mark on any given foe, not only one mark total.

What I'm wondering: given the paladin's specific requirements for his mark to remain active, how does he continue to engage and attack multiple foes? And how would that effect his ability to mark future targets?

Deverash

First Post
GoodKingJayIII said:
The rule is, you can only have one mark on any given foe, not only one mark total.

What I'm wondering: given the paladin's specific requirements for his mark to remain active, how does he continue to engage and attack multiple foes? And how would that effect his ability to mark future targets?

The paladin has specific requirements for keeping his Divine Challenge active on it's target. If those other powers that allow a paladin to mark have requirements on what you must do for them, then those requirements would be listed in those specific powers. There is no such restriction in a mark itself, after all.

Remove ads