Paladins in AL: Unusual Gods (SPOILERS BELOW FOR SEASON 4)

RulesJD

First Post
Ok, then a broader question: is there any way to simply deduct gold from my total as a donation to my character's faith? Without any presumption of a "tangible" result of any sort?

You could use the AL spell casting services provided by Jenny Greenteeth (who I think is the only place to get them) to have her cast some beneficial spell over the party/village.

TwinPeaksGuy

Explorer
that pretty much reads as exchange for services, and I mistrust cutting deals with Hags. While in theory I might really like doing a Hallow spell on the aforementioned shrine to Kelemvor, I don't expect that would work for AL as it's probably not any more portable than the shrine itself. Hallow isn't even on the list of available services anyway.

Looking more and more like another idea that works better in a private game than in OP.

Last edited:

RulesJD

First Post
You can always fluff giving your gold away. I have an AL character that has the Urchin background and specifically the one about supporting an orphanage. While in Barovia she obviously can't support that one, so at the end of each adventure (or appropriately during it) she gives 10gp to a group of kids with some kind words, etc. No mechanical effect but nice fluff.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Ok, then a broader question: is there any way to simply deduct gold from my total as a donation to my character's faith? Without any presumption of a "tangible" result of any sort?

Well, if all you're planning to do is deduct gold from your character log and not add anything to your character sheet, I don't see where that's a problem -- it's pretty much 'Brewster's Millions' for Adventurers League.

If you're playing through season 4 with the same DM, that DM might even let your faith-based spending have a circumstantial or role-playing effect. ("Hey, you're the guy who keeps putting up shrines to the Eternal Order!**") Heck, even a one-time DM might like the RP hook and make use of it -- I'd consider it myself. If you do decide to do this, try to make sure that your investments get noted in the after-action report submitted to the admins, though -- that's the best way for them to have some sort of potential impact on the game.

--
Pauper

** - Obligatory Ravenloft campaign setting reference.

TwinPeaksGuy

Explorer
I am doing season 4 as they're released at the same FLGS with the same DM. A roleplaying effect is all I'd really be aiming for. Getting a convert or three would be fun, as would starting a session handing out leaflets on a streetcorner in Orasnou, trying to convert people to be Kelemvorites rather than followers of the Eternal Order (had to look that one up, not very versed in Ravenloft lore).

I have a wild sorcerer with a guild brewer background who played straight through a recent rerun of season 1 at the same shop. He got a part time job brewing beer at the Laughing Goblin and would keep offering other PCs homebrewed beer and moonshine(the latter was refluffed lamp oil for weapons purposes).

Usually way more interested in RP aspects than most of the table, but it is what it is. I'll see what my DM says, obviously not expecting it to mean beans at any other table. I'm not sure this FLGS submits the reports you mentioned, their recordkeeping seems pretty haphazard.

Last edited:

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Sorry, yeah I should have said this guy was LE too. I actually thought he roleplayed it quite well. He wasnt to disruptive and even thought it was he who found a certain journal almost spat out the words of sadness etc. He had no pity for Lazlo or Alina.

I tend to find my local groups a little... Im not sure 'Cold' is the right word for it. CN seems to be the predominant alignment and I have a lot of players who enjoy the combat aspect of D&D. I do get the occasional player who really steps up, However to spite this I often run the small little strange set pieces that AL offers.. the Beast having several of these

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Sorry, yeah I should have said this guy was LE too. I actually thought he roleplayed it quite well. He wasnt to disruptive and even thought it was he who found a certain journal almost spat out the words of sadness etc. He had no pity for Lazlo or Alina.

I tend to find my local groups a little... Im not sure 'Cold' is the right word for it. CN seems to be the predominant alignment and I have a lot of players who enjoy the combat aspect of D&D. I do get the occasional player who really steps up, However to spite this I often run the small little strange set pieces that AL offers.. the Beast having several of these

GreenTengu

Adventurer
Wouldn't a Lawful Evil priest or champion at least try to be convincing about spreading the message rather than ridiculing, mocking or taunting people and thus turning them against the person.

I would have to think the better tactic for the Paladin would be to explain that suffering in the world makes the survivors stronger, thus one should accept and endure the hardships because whatever doesn't kill one only forges their soul to be stronger in the next world.

Someone died a particularly brutal death? Well, that's all for the better as they will be reborn stronger in the next life....

Or something akin to this. But as easy as it is to resort to violence within the D&D mechanical system, I seriously doubt that common townfolk would be at all quick to resort to trying to use violence against a clearly trained warrior and champion of some sort of god. They aren't going to throw their lives away just because someone is being a jerk. They are likely to curse and sneer or otherwise avoid the jerk if not verbally lash back unless cowed with threats of violence... but, for the most part I would think this Paladin and his companions would simply not be helpful towards the Paladin or his allies unless he found a more convincing and sugary way to make his case.

Remove ads