Parsantium City Sourcebook - now on sale!

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

Thought I'd post Six Things You Need to Know About Parsantium from the first draft of the introductory chapter:

Six Things You Need to Know

Parsantium is a complex city, but the following points encapsulate the main features of this campaign setting.

1. A Melting Pot
Parsantium is a city where trade routes meet and where several cultures collide. It is a cosmopolitan setting, inspired by the real-world city of Byzantium which also sits astride two continents, and allows the DM to incorporate characters, monsters and magic from the tales of the Arabian Nights, ancient India, and the Far East into his game alongside the more traditional European fantasy elements.

2. A Divided City
The layout of the city and the fact that the Batiaran rich tend to live on the north west side of the strait while the poor (many of Sahasran or Akhrani origin) live on the south east side makes Parsantium a divided city, both physically and culturally. This is made worse by restrictions on commoners from the Old Quarter visiting the Imperial Quarter – they need a pass which is only issued for those on “special business”. Unsurprisingly, there is a thriving black market dealing in stolen or forged passes, and many would-be burglars disguise themselves as nobility to sneak into the Imperial Quarter. However, since many of the residents of the Old Quarter are Sahasran in ancestry and therefore darker-skinned than the Batiarans of the Imperial Quarter, some of the guards are known to make racist assumptions about who is a commoner and needs to show a pass.

3. Intrigue Abounds
The rich and powerful inhabitants of Parsantium are always scheming, and the presence of rakshasas in the city makes it difficult to know who to trust. As the player characters gain levels and grow in influence, they are sure to attract the attentions of those who seek to manipulate and use them for their own ends.

4. A Dark Past
Parsantium is built on the ancient ruins of Dhak Janjua, ruled long ago by the rakshasa rajah and ruthless tyrant Vrishabha. Slain by a great hero, his reincarnated form is encased in ice atop the Pillars of Heaven Mountains far to the south east. Perhaps one day his disciples will find a way to free him from his prison so he might reclaim his throne.

5. The Fourth Quarter
The cellars, cisterns and twisting tunnels and passages of the Hidden Quarter are supposedly ruled by the “Fourth Tribune”, a sinister crime lord and the “Boss of All Bosses”. Certainly, criminal gangs such as the Golden Scimitars, slavers and necromancers use the catacombs to conduct their evil business and make their way around beneath the city streets without detection by the City Watch. Monsters live here too, and in the deep places forgotten since the heyday of Dhak Janjua, dark things slither.

6. Dozens of Adventuring Possibilities
The city (and this book) contain enough adventure hooks and potential patrons and adversaries to keep most adventuring groups busy throughout their careers, without them having to leave the city.

Let me know what you think! Note that some names are placeholders and need to change (e.g. Batiara, Sahasara)

Cheers

Rich

Ferghis

First Post
I must spread some xp around before I give more to you.

I would encourage a quick-start or summary section to this kind of opus. Something a DM can quickly hand out to players. Maybe a shorter bit about what visitors would know about the city, and some additional information for natives.

RichGreen

Adventurer
I must spread some xp around before I give more to you.

I would encourage a quick-start or summary section to this kind of opus. Something a DM can quickly hand out to players. Maybe a shorter bit about what visitors would know about the city, and some additional information for natives.
I think this is a good idea - I need to do something like this for the playtest game I'm running at UKT4. I guess the above (post 11) doesn't work, huh?

I'll give it some more thought - think it needs to fit on one page so people can read it quickly and absorb it.

Cheers

Rich

Ferghis

First Post
I guess the above (post 11) doesn't work, huh?

I'll give it some more thought - think it needs to fit on one page so people can read it quickly and absorb it.
While juicy, your post is more of a back cover for the document. It peaks the reader's interest. What I'm thinking of is more along the lines of a summary of what a local is likely to know, a few important people, a couple of sentences on each quarter, how order is kept, a few of the better known common service purveyors (lodging, transportation, temples, vendors, etc), and some of the more famous rumors. Just to give them a quick idea of the city without obliging them to read several hundred pages.

Yes a page would be perfect, but I wouldn't drive yourself nuts trying to fit it all in there. I'd be just as happy with a couple pages, as long as it is dense with information.

Ferghis

First Post
I should say that you are undertaking a massive endeavor, so please place my suggestion at the bottom of an "if I get to it" list of some kind.

RichGreen

Adventurer
I should say that you are undertaking a massive endeavor, so please place my suggestion at the bottom of an "if I get to it" list of some kind.
LOL! I do have a lot to write still, plus art, maps, layout etc to sort, but it would be good to have a one-pager for UKT4. I'll see if I get time to do one in the next 10 days.

Cheers

Rich

Storminator

First Post
I'd recommend looking at Sharn: City of Towers, and in particular the "First Impressions" entry in each district. I read those to my players every time they enter a district, even if it's for the 100th time. It's great to set the atmosphere for the scene. It helps that it's only a sentence or two, so I actually can read it every time.

PS

RichGreen

Adventurer
I'd recommend looking at Sharn: City of Towers, and in particular the "First Impressions" entry in each district. I read those to my players every time they enter a district, even if it's for the 100th time. It's great to set the atmosphere for the scene. It helps that it's only a sentence or two, so I actually can read it every time.
Yes, that's a great book. When I was researching the various city sourcebooks out there to come up with my structure for Parsantium, there were a lot of things I liked about how the Sharn book was put together. First Impressions is definitely one of them - I plan to have a paragraph like that at the start of the section for each ward.

Cheers

Rich

RichGreen

Adventurer
Quick update - I ran a Parsantium game for a group of strangers and two former players at UKT4 on Saturday. They all seemed to enjoy the setting and I got some useful feedback. Pictures here.

I need to write another design diary soon but have been too busy writing the actual book!

Cheers

Rich

Remove ads