• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E [Pathfinder] airwalkrr's Rise of the Runelords Reborn! IC

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[section]

The brawny Kel waves his arms and pumps his fists in the air after returning the swine to the ground; his booming laugh rings across the square. At the podium he gives his name proudly, and once the brief cerremony is over he strides over to slap his fellow contestants on the back. "Well done, my friends, well done! Bringing in that pig was a stroke of genius . . . to be sure, 'twas purely luck the beast didn't kick me in the crotch the way I had her held."

Jamir's enthusiasm is rewarded with a broad smile, his offer of an ale widens that grin even more; white teeth gleam against Kelvyn's sun-browned skin and black beard. "I'll take that ale, moj siabar, thank you." He thinks about the man's question for a moment before responding. "Though I believe I'd do fairly well in the contest of balance, my best shot at another victory lies at the tug-o-war where my weight and strength can come into play. Shall we recruit a team?"
[/section]

[sblock=Actions/Rolls]--[/sblock]

Defense: 14, Critical Defense: +08, Armor DR: 5/Magic or Large, CMD: 19
Fort: +3, Reflex: +3, Will: +0

Perception: +0, Sense Motive: +0

Weapon in Hand: None

Abilities: Str 19, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10

Condition: None
[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
In the theater is a young man, thin of frame wearing a chemical resistant apron, quietly setting up a magic show. He hides alchemical substances in a pre arranged location to display the various tricks He smiles at the plans of the stage magician for whome this is planned for. An act between acts.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
"Well done, Keleshite," Gorvi says, stepping up to Kelvyn and bowing. He then gives a deep, and merry laugh, "I was not expecting the pig to back-fire on me like that."

"Yes, congratulations!" says Das the smith, walking up to shake Kelvyn's hand. "It was a merry test, and a fair one, but you bested us all. I suppose the dark horse is not always a poor bet." He turns to Jamir, who is being paid out 20 gold by a slightly unhappy bookie, "And speaking of bets, that was a clever wager, my friend. Well met! I am Das Korvut, the blacksmith of this town. Are you friends with this mighty beast of a man?"

OOC: The slightly unhappy bookie: Minor NPCs will generally be given no name, and appear only once or twice during an adventure. Instead of names, I refer to them using descriptive nouns. This is because they are not truly important to the story itself, and this it is fairly obvious to heroic PCs. Rather they help establish atmosphere and offer opportunities for limited RP. They are, in general, Indifferent in attitude and their alignment and race is randomly determined based on the community where they reside (e.g. a minor NPC from a CN community with 7% gnomes will be CN has a 7% chance of a being a gnome). However, I am a sneaky GM, not above planting a well-disguised villain or nemesis among the rubes. I will roll Perception checks for PCs secretly in such cases to see if the PCs notice something amiss.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Jamir Rolande

BarloAvatar_zps186bb901.jpg

Jamir gave Das Korvut an incorrigible grin and shook his hand. The bard could feel the strength in the blacksmith's arms and the callouses of his meaty grip.

“Oh, aye. Jamir Rolande, I am. A new friend and promoter by the looks of it. You did well too, mate. Just some ill luck with the porcine trickery, eh.”

With the half-orc offering to join in the tug-o-war contest, Kamir turned speculative. “Well, I was looking to put in a team myself with Kelvyn here and I would hope the good blacksmith might be interested in proving he had only lost due to a fluke, not any lagging of he indefatigable strength. What say you Das?”

Jamir had his own ideas for a winning team and he put a hand to his mouth to whisper aside to Nuko and Thrindar, “Mates, I have an idea. But do you want to win the contest, or win some money on it instead. Methinks Thrindar being a stocky lad and more immovable would be a better choice than either of us if we can start making the trio with both the blacksmith and our beefy Kelvin here.”

[sblock=MiniStats]Jamir Harkness
Init +6, Speed 30, Senses: Perception +3, Sense Motive -1
Defense: 14, Touch 14, Flat-footed 10, CMD 16
Crit Def Bonus: +7, Crit Attack Bonus: +0
Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +1
HP 9 (DR3/Armor); Current: 9
Conditions in effect: None

Bardic Performances Remaining: 6/6
1st Level Spells (CLW, Grease): 2/2

Weapon in Hand: None[/sblock] [sblock=OOC]What about using the dwarven +4 bonus against being bullrushed? Would that apply for the tug-o-war contest? [/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Upon completion of his contractual duties, young Dr. Jekyll left the theater and wandered about the fair grounds noticing the events occurring - the sack race was done, it looks. He sighs in contrition at the realization, but shrugs and continues walking about until he gets hungry. Time for food, so he wanders to Cracktooth's for a lunchof stew and bread, a mug or two ale. He cats his gaze abut to see what is going on with the other patrons.

[roll0]

G

Guest 11456

Thrindar: Dwarf Cleric of Sarenrae

Jamir had his own ideas for a winning team and he put a hand to his mouth to whisper aside to Nuko and Thrindar, “Mates, I have an idea. But do you want to win the contest, or win some money on it instead. Methinks Thrindar being a stocky lad and more immovable would be a better choice than either of us if we can start making the trio with both the blacksmith and our beefy Kelvin here.”

The dwarf was genuinely taken aback. "I had not even considered entering the tug of war. I was actually considering the balance beam, though I had no aspirations of winning." He thinks for a moment and then nods. "I will give it a try if the other two wish it."

[sblock=Thrindar Mini Stats]Thrindar
Def: 12 FF Def: 10
HP: 12/12 DR: none
CMB: +2 CMD: 14
CDCB: +2 CAB: +0 MCB0: +3

Note: Left most of equipment in room. Just wearing clothes and have holy symbol.

Fort: +3 Reflex: +2 Will: +5
Perception: +3 Sense Motive: +3
Initiative: +2

Current Weapon in Hand: None
Channel Energy: 4/4
Spells:
Orisons: Create Water, Purify Food and Drink, Stabilize
1st Level: Bless, Shield of Faith, Cure Light Wounds (Domain)
Domain Powers Remaining Today:
Fire Bolt: 6/6
Rebuke Death: 6/6[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Jamir Rolande

BarloAvatar_zps186bb901.jpg

Jamir spoke out of the side of his mouth in return to the dwarven cleric, “Well, unless you are thinking to keep the trio to you, Kelvyn, and Nuko, I think you all need to keep twisting the beefy blacksmith's arm to join. I fear my own attempt was rather lame or not taken seriously.”

While Thrindar and Nuko are deciding what to do with Kelvyn, Jamir looked around for a boy that he could pay a silver coin in return for an errand. He motioned a red-headed boy with freckles to come over, a lad that was about 10 turnings of the seasons.

“You lad, I have a job for you. A silver coin for starters and second upon your return.”

The boy had nodded eagerly and the bard continued, “Okay, here is what I want you to do. There is a young woman, probably a farm girl with sun-bleached hair of golden color and few freckles. She was about a hand taller than you and nearly a grown up. She was to meet me around back of the Goblin Squashed Stables in a few minutes. You know where that is, yeah?” The boy nodded with an expression that he thought Jamir was an idiot for even asking.

“Right the. Go meet her for me and tell her that I here at the tug-o-war contest and would enjoy the pleasure of her company until it over. Tell her I am the dapper man with the brimmed hat and trimmed beard from the Rusty Dragon. You got all that? Repeat it back to me.”

After boy had satisfied him, Jamir handed over a silver piece and sent him on his way. He remembered seeing the stables next to the Rusty Dragon so it was going to take the lad a few minutes to get there from the cathedral.

[sblock=MiniStats]Jamir Harkness
Init +6, Speed 30, Senses: Perception +3, Sense Motive -1
Defense: 14, Touch 14, Flat-footed 10, CMD 16
Crit Def Bonus: +7, Crit Attack Bonus: +0
Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +1
HP 9 (DR3/Armor); Current: 9
Conditions in effect: None

Bardic Performances Remaining: 6/6
1st Level Spells (CLW, Grease): 2/2

Weapon in Hand: None[/sblock]

airwalkrr

Adventurer
OOC: Since the narrative with the farm girl is Jamir's, I will allow [MENTION=88649]perrinmiller[/MENTION] to decide and narrate the outcome of the young boy's errand.

Jekyll
Meanwhile, in Cracktooth's...

A scarred Varisian and a confident-looking half-elf are having an arm wrestling contest with several patrons gathered around the table. At another end some patrons are throwing darts at a crudely-drawn goblin face on the wall. There is also a dwarf who is engaged in an attempt to drink a strong-looking Shoanti under the table. They continue to order rounds of strong grain alcohol, and many patrons are betting on the outcome. A pale-faced man with dark hair and blue eyes asks if he can share a table with Jekyll, seeing as the rest of the seats are taken, then plops down his bowl and mug. Although the man's tunic covers most of his chest, Jekyll can see a tattoo of a creature with at least a few snake-like heads visible from the neck down on the man's chest. "Not a bad scene here today, eh friend? I put 7 silver on the dwarf going down before the Shoanti. They call me Jaimen. Well met."

OOC: Jaimen is an open-hook, minor NPC for Jekyll, [MENTION=49929]Scott DeWar[/MENTION]. Like the other open hooks the other party members received, narrative control of this character is now up to you. Note that Jaimen's text is violet-colored. This indicates that his starting attitude is not necessarily obvious. Perhaps he is simply non-chalant, but he could be concealing his motives. That is all up to you.

All Others
At the Cathedral...

"Well met, Jamir!" the brawny blacksmith says with a hearty laugh while shaking Jamir's hand. "By the looks of things, you made a smart bet. I was not expecting Gorvi to pull the 'swine trick,' but it looks like that turned against both of us, eh dungsweeper? Well certainly I shall match my brawn again in the tug of war. Gorvi and I shall make partners, if only we can find a third..."

Das nods to Gorvi who simply looks disheartened. It is obvious to look at him that the so-called "swine trick" was to be Gorvi's coup de grace, but the unpredictability of the sow proved too challenging. Turch, the old fishermonger with a lazy eye and wild white beard volunteers to join Das and Gorvi. Gorvi nods in ascent and Das chuckles, "Haha! Why not, old man? Let us show them that youth is not all that is needed to win at the old rope war."

The teams are now forming up for the tug of war, and contestants are entering the queue for the balance beam. Although Sabyl is the clear favorite, excitement passes through the crowd when the well-known factotum, Jubrayl, steps up and announces his intention to participate. The odds suddenly shift, as townsfolk talk of Jubrayl's remarkable swordship and dashing skills as a tumbler (Knowledge: local).

Sabyl turns to her new-found friends with a pleasant look, not quite a smile, but pleasant all the same, saying, "Perhaps one of you will come and try to challenge me and that rogue, Jubrayl, on the balance beam. Are any of you acrobats?"

OOC: Note that Sabyl's attitude towards the PCs is now apparently friendly, as indicated by the green-colored dialogue. This is likely the last post in which I will mention text color and how it indicates an NPC's apparent attitude. Refer to the OP if you ever need to reference this again.

Last edited:

Remove ads