• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Pathfinder] Burnt Offerings

Just graze the Bestiary next time you're in a game store and look up the specific section in the book with your dragon type in it.
I had a good hearty laugh at this, though I hope you'll understand that it wasn't at your expense. Uh, with four children, a job, and a husband who is a full-time graduate student and who holds down a church placement internship, there is no such thing as "the next time I'm in a game store." :)

I haven't been to a game store in, like, four years. No time! Heck, I think I only went one place by myself all of this entire year so far.

Ambrus

Explorer
Granted, you won't want to write notes or anything
I've uh, been known to do just that. Mind you that's while sitting and reading in Indigo rather than a FLGS. :eek:

But I'll likely buy the Bestiary outright for my own campaign when it comes out.

Your idea is a good one, though, Shayuri. If one of you happens to have occasion to peek at a friend's Bestiary, that would work.

But, again, I think we'll be okay just holding out. The module has all the adventure-specific monsters included in a section in the back few pages, and everything else is standard D&D fare (goblinoids, etc.). I haven't noticed changes to stock core elements of the game, and goblins would certainly fill the bill as a "stock core element."

Walking Dad

First Post
Your idea is a good one, though, Shayuri. If one of you happens to have occasion to peek at a friend's Bestiary, that would work.

But, again, I think we'll be okay just holding out. The module has all the adventure-specific monsters included in a section in the back few pages, and everything else is standard D&D fare (goblinoids, etc.). I haven't noticed changes to stock core elements of the game, and goblins would certainly fill the bill as a "stock core element."
The goblins are in the free bestiary preview...

Goblin CR1/3

Goblinoid Subtype

You know, I only mildly miss visits to the gaming store? What I miss more is the ability to pick up and go to the movies whenever I want. I miss the movie theater as a weekly presence in my life. :)

Thanks for letting me know there is a free preview, WD. I'll check it out. I'd be surprised if goblins changed, but it's worth a peek.

FYI, my community subscriber account runs out at the end of October and I think for right now I will elect not to re-up. What this means in terms of PM access, etc., I don't exactly know. If there is some horrible unpleasant repercussion of not having a CS account, I might re-consider my decision not to subscribe, but for right now I'm not planning to re-up.

Ambrus

Explorer
A paladin's detect evil ability is a spell-like ability and so doesn't require any verbal, somnatic or material components to use. But, oddly perhaps, because "a spell-like ability functions just like a spell" it can technically be identified as it is being used with a successful spellcraft skill check. That sort of implies that the act of using a spell-like ability is somehow self-evident to any potential observers as is conventional spell-casting. I'll be darned if I know what tell-tale signs observers are supposed to pick up on if the caster isn't physically doing anything though. Maybe a paladin's eye glow with heavenly fire or something; I dunno.

Also, IIRC, Elyra tossed the Sheriff the pouch of coins yesterday which he never handed back, so he should still have them I believe.

A paladin's detect evil ability is a spell-like ability and so doesn't require any verbal, somnatic or material components to use.
That's what I was looking for, thanks.
Also, IIRC, Elyra tossed the Sheriff the pouch of coins yesterday which he never handed back, so he should still have them I believe.
I thought about this while writing my post but deemed it reasonable that the Sheriff forgot since he had a lot going on last night.

Shayuri

First Post
Spell like abilities have no verbal or somatic components, but they still require a moment of concentration to activate. A person can recognize that (as well as unspecified, presumably subtle, cues) as an ability being used, which is what triggers an AoO if you're threatened. Spell Like abilities can't be countered though...and I don't know offhand if they're subject to identification until their effects can be observed.

In short, you can tell a 'spell' is being cast (and hence take your AoO), but you won't necessarily know WHAT spell until you see the results. It's reasonable to assume that someone specifically and closely observing a character would notice that he was using an ability of some kind (though some observers might not realize it was magic, and just think the character was distracted for some reason). A character who is being quiet and unobtrusive might be able to use an ability without attracting attention though. No rules for this, but it wouldn't be hard to improvise.

Supernatural abilities lack even that moment of concentration, in general.

Last edited:

Remove ads