Pathfinder level 20

fireinthedust

Explorer
This will be a Scenario for 20th level characters.

I'm picking characters based on Classic style and interesting features for me as a GM.

Hint: I like classic themes, especially of Sword & Sorcery in the vein of Robert E. Howard and Michael Moorcock. I'd really like characters who are masters of their art and are heroic. I don't care for goofy concepts (though humour is great, not for the main characters; feel free to have a henchman for that stuff).

[sblock=CREATION GUIDELINES]

subjects to adjustment

Ability Scores: 25 point buy, build up normally from 1st (ie adjust stats as you level, race, etc.)
HP: Max, but you'll be fighting tough monsters.
Traits: No

Sources: Pathfinder Core and SRD.

Starting Gold: (tbd; I'm leaning towards Treasure by level, but I'm not sure what the party could use. I haven't done 20th level before, so I dunno).[/sblock]

Posting Expectations:

1) Regular posts, and frequent. I check every day. If we do combat or have a group decision, I will give three days and then move the group forward.

2) Fall behind at your peril. This is a most dangerous game, and if you leave it without notice your character may be devoured most horribly by fell creatures.

3) I will present the world for you to explore. You have options at your disposal, and you will need them. Please use them. If I describe a scene or doorway, ask yourself what you'd do in that situation. Take the initiative, explore it, make the world your own.

4) I want to be entertained. Bring something to the table, or it gets boring for me the GM. I write fiction by myself, don't make me roleplay by myself. Take the initiative, and do something.

5) Respect the group dynamic: interact and try to gel. We have an opportunity to get a really fantastic group going. You'll have a limited number of games you play in your life, especially EPIC ones, so it's up to you to make each one awesome. When you die, hopefully years from now, do you really want to look back and say "wow, I wasted my time with a lot of jerks, and I didn't try as hard as I could have"?

6) If the group encounters a room or a puzzle (which I enjoy) try to figure it out. I sometimes hide easter eggs around my dungeons. Don't overturn every stone, but if you're going up against (say) a giant swarm at low levels, I'm the kind of DM who'll hide area-effect spell-ability-items and swarm-damaging-swords in other rooms before you get there. I don't know how this will play out at epic levels, and as of this writing I haven't done the module yet.
EDIT: keep in mind that, if I put them in there, it's up to you to find them. If they're really important, they'll be in somewhat obvious locations, but I'll let you wander off without them until you get to the BBEG. You're 20th level, no hand-holding. I'm not a killer DM, though, so don't let that scare you off.

7) As Epic-level characters, I'll be designing problems you need to overcome. This may involve a quest, or designing a series of items that can, say, get you to the bottom of the ocean to find a spell component. I won't be worrying too-too much about your character sheets, because I assume you're 20th level: you're the big boys, you need to be able to take care of yourselves.

[sblock=previous first post]...or something high level.

EDIT: THE VOTE

Arena: 0
Dungeon: 0
Scenario: 1 (Shayuri)

Okay, here goes: I want to do a crash course in High Level PF play. I learned a lot running and FINISHING! a pathfinder game (Follow Me Into Shadows) by pbp here on the boards.

Now I'd like to try my hand at a higher level of play. This won't be a long running game, and I haven't figured out what I want to do (ie: an arena or a quick dungeon or a full scenario where the party uses their abilities on the fly).

1) Arena: everyone is fighting each other, but also the monsters and traps surrounding the group in a supernatural arena. This would be for the mantle of the Starstone (I think it's called: go in, come out a deity if at all).
If we do this, I'll just count the rounds as DM. Either I run the arena and only control NPCs and Monsters; or I make up a PC and we all beat each other over the head until someone "wins".

2) Dungeon: likewise Epic, possibly lower than 20th (ie: I grab a Goodman Games module and try to kill you all). I'll come up with some horrific challenges and try to smite you all down. This would mean the PCs are a team, and the goal is to defeat the dungeon.

3) Scenario: longer than a dungeon, and covering the whole world plus the planes. There'll be a task, you'll have to problem solve your way out of it. This is a traditional adventure, and we'll be doing this like you're actual heroes who saved the world, built a castle, and are now trying to ...save the world again. Like a real D&D campaign.

Regardless: I will be brutally honest in that I intend to come up with some horrific monster combos that are challenging for your party to beat. This is fair, as you're Epic level.
Some challenges will be things that I design even before you pitch your character concepts at me, that frankly you should have thought about.
Some I will custom tailor for the party; not to make it hard (I'm not a jerk) but so your particular strengths shine for the whole world to see.

In general, the world will assume that it's out of the Bestiary 1. All NPCs are max level 6, unless they're exceptional/special. I'll use the Gamemastery Guide, for example, if you go to Absalom and try to hire a Pirate Captain or use a Seer. They will have special answers and info, but in general that's the way it is. There will be other powerful adventurers and NPCs (ie: the master assassins, the archmages (and there will be lots of those, I assume) of 20th level or so. They just won't be the default (this being Pathfinder, not 4e).

This means monsters like Dragons truly are powerful for everyone other than your group. It also means that, if you don't take out the dragons attacking the village, the village auto-dies.

Likewise, most places in Golarion won't have high level magic items; you could go to the archmages or the Planes, or the Drow (and you can) but you'd have to deal with them and the goods they have for sale.

In an arena or a dungeon, this may not be an issue.

Creation Rules: GP budget and point buy for stats. I'll decide when I get some interest.

Books: basically Pathfinder SRD, others upon request and if I have them (I will research them, btw).

So what is your option: Arena, Dungeon or Scenario?[/sblock]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Scenario sounds the most interesting. Arenas are little more than tactical exercises...amusing, but of little consequence. Dungeons can be good, but they tend to be very limited in scope, and in diversity of encounter.

Part of the fun of high level is that they can go anywhere, at any time. A scenario emphasizes that.

Given that starting at level 20 is the only realistic way that a PBP player will ever SEE level 20, I'd love to play this, if only because it will be fun trying out those high level abilities that normally we only gaze at wistfully. :)

fireinthedust

Explorer
Fair enough. Though there are Convention demos (though usually not 20th level).

And I don't know how long this'll be. I failed horribly on one high level arena once, but that's because I didn't know how the math really worked... and I allowed trained power gamers to make gestalt characters. Yeah, not fun to DM.

it's been years, however, and the home game is going great. Therefore, this is my vengeance upon high level play.

Last edited:

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
must... not... actually seeing you are running a follow up to your other game (which was lots of fun) I should not play in this one, given that level 20 people take a lot of time to run and I ma making one right now.

fireinthedust

Explorer
meh, do whatever. Do both. I don't mind, just keep posting!

And if you want to do the other one also, finish up that 7th level equipment list, and pick a wish.

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
Definitely interested and would also favor a Scenario. I'm really keen to see high level Pathfinder play, I've run and played in epic games in 3.5 and look forward to seeing whether Paizo's rebalancing actually stacks up at such a high level - I'm expecting it to be better than 3.5, but far from perfect.

If you do allow the APG I would love to run a Summoner, I've been dying to use some of the higher level abilities and a 20th level eidolon has to be fun on a bun.

fireinthedust

Explorer
No character concepts yet! Arrgh!

I don't mind the APG, though I'm not a fan of some of the classes, Alchemist being one of them; it's just... silly. I get the buffs, but conceptually it bugs me.

Summoners: I like them, but they need to give up their actions to have their Eidolon act. Otherwise it's a lot of extra actions every round. IMHO, if I'd built them, that is. Then again, summoned monsters are like that. Still, a good idea might be to give up a move action or immediate actions, or something to designate the control. I dunno.

Last edited:

Lughart

First Post
I'm interested if you'll have me. Scenario sounds the most fun, with dungeon as a close second.

I'm not so keen on making a 20th level character if all it's going to do is fight in a pit, so I'm not sure I'm in if you go with the arena idea. Otherwise it sounds like a hoot.

kinem

Adventurer
I agree that the alchemist seems a bit silly, but that's partly due to the 'gleeful maniac' flavor text it's saddled with. I think I could pull it off as a serious character. Just thought it'd be interesting, but I could certainly do something else. Maybe oracle or rogue ...

Last edited:

Remove ads