• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Online MMORPG Announced

Randomthoughts

Adventurer
In Mark Kalmes' interviews on the Fear the Boot blog, his comments paint a more realistic picture of how things are going with the project. It's a small dev team, around 11-12 people. So the goal of the KS is to allow them to grow their staff to around 20 people. TBH, his comments were a bit confusing. They gave me the impression that the MMO is still in the conceptualization phase, where a lot of the design rules hasn't been thought out yet. The use of "beta" or "early access beta" was unclear too. Overall, I wonder if the timelines described, both with or without the KS, are realistic. Anyone have an opinion on that?

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
My opinion (and i admit again that i'm a sceptic here) is that it is impossible. They have pretty much nothing right now, and even when buying middleware, that team is ridiculously small. Additionally, there are a lot of rpgs coming out this and next year that are apparently going to add some sandbox elements, and some similar PvP ideas. Wizardry Online is an example for this. And while most of them won't have the domain management of Pathfinder online, i just can't believe that they will generate enough cash flow to stay profitable.

Of course, having to pay subscription during the beta phase helps.

Alarian

First Post
The fact that they decided to go open PVP has kept a lot of people from pledging I've heard. I know I'm one of them. When you think of Pathfinder and pen and Paper rpg's, you don't really think of Player vs. Player combats. If it wasn't for the non-mmo rewards they are offering (rpg materials, a mega-dungeon book, mini's, etc), I think the amount pledged would be significantly less.

The fact that they decided to go open PVP has kept a lot of people from pledging I've heard. I know I'm one of them. When you think of Pathfinder and pen and Paper rpg's, you don't really think of Player vs. Player combats. If it wasn't for the non-mmo rewards they are offering (rpg materials, a mega-dungeon book, mini's, etc), I think the amount pledged would be significantly less.

Doesn't surprise me. Open PVP tends to devolve towards massive griefing that benefits goonsquad types more then Paizo types.

Honestly, it doesn't look too good for the Kickstarter. At 650K with six days to go, they'll need to raise 58k daily to make it.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Yeah, open PvP in an MMO is unfortunate. I was seriously contemplating pledging this Kickstarter, but now my interest has just plummeted to zero. The most PvP I want in an MMO is single-occurrence and opt-in.
-blarg

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
Just read the interview and felt it was mostly blah. The answer about what they'll be using from the Pathfinder system is still "we like the system but ah dunno perhaps attributes but not as in Pathfinder haha". I mean, would it be too much to tell us something more about that?

Also, i wonder if we ever find out what they did with the additional 250k from the first kickstarter.

shadowgames

First Post
I have backed this on kickstarter and am looking forward to it reaching its goals, even if just to get my hands on all the lovely reward :) Good luck to Paizo, I hope it all comes off.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I am still not interested in supporting this, as I feel if they want to do a project of this type it should be done traditionally, using existing resources, not kickstarter.

Plus I feel the potential for failure is very very high here.

Remove ads