Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder outselling D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

darjr

I crit!
Dannager said:
Nope, they still count on at least one book sale as an entry point into the hobby. Past that, though, the hope seems to be that at some point the customer will make the transition from using books to using their digital service, whether as an addition or a replacement.

isn't the DM kit still needed in order to have all the rules?

Dannager

First Post
isn't the DM kit still needed in order to have all the rules?

Yes, or the Rules Compendium. Like I said, you need at least one book. But after that point, it's entirely possible to transition to no longer purchasing physical products and simply taking advantage of their online service.

Dannager

First Post
Of course. However, Paizo has also stated that the print version arent ever going away. Unlike what WotC appears to be doing, or at least attempting(game table I'm looking at you).

Really?

If Paizo announced a Pathfinder-ready virtual game table tomorrow, you'd take that as evidence of Paizo moving away from print media, too, right?

Right?

Heck, why wait? Paizo just released two apps that you can use instead of their physical Critical Hit and Critical Fumble decks. This must mean they're moving away from print! I mean, sure, you can still buy the old physical decks (just like you'll still be able to play on an actual table even after WotC releases the VTT), but who cares?

Last edited:

Caerin

First Post
The Paizo of today is offering a digital platform that is on par with what we saw out of WotC 5-10 years ago.

In fact, the first signs of Paizo stepping out of this shadow came this week with the release of their own pair of iOS apps.

I'm not sure you mean to imply that the "5-10 years ago" part is a negative thing; I don't consider it bad at all. I prefer what Paizo's doing with their PDFs to what WotC is doing digitally. I purchased every 4E PDF and print product when they offered them both. I'm still a DDi subscriber and play both 4E and PF, but I love my Paizo PDFs and use them constantly. I own both print and PDF versions, partly due to their subscription practices. For me, that model works very, very well. I'm not particularly interested in the virtual table or the iOS apps at this point.

Dannager

First Post
I'm not sure you mean to imply that the "5-10 years ago" part is a negative thing;

I didn't, I was just stating it as a matter of fact. The point I was making is merely that WotC is literally years ahead of the rest of its competition when it comes to digital integration.

Paizo will get there, though.

I don't consider it bad at all. I prefer what Paizo's doing with their PDFs to what WotC is doing digitally. I purchased every 4E PDF and print product when they offered them both. I'm still a DDi subscriber and play both 4E and PF, but I love my Paizo PDFs and use them constantly. I own both print and PDF versions, partly due to their subscription practices. For me, that model works very, very well. I'm not particularly interested in the virtual table or the iOS apps at this point.

I have a feeling those sorts of things will grow on you. There will come a point (hopefully before too long) where most of us will be forced to admit that the tech is just too cool and too useful to continue ignoring. We're not there yet, but you can see it from here.

Banshee16

First Post
I have a feeling those sorts of things will grow on you. There will come a point (hopefully before too long) where most of us will be forced to admit that the tech is just too cool and too useful to continue ignoring. We're not there yet, but you can see it from here.

Unless they can guarantee continued access to materials after an edition change.....no.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but even ebooks don't compare to the real thing, IMO. I like the smell of new books :)

Banshee

Dannager

First Post
Unless they can guarantee continued access to materials after an edition change.....no.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but even ebooks don't compare to the real thing, IMO. I like the smell of new books :)

Banshee

Yeah, I used to like vinyl and vacuum tube amps, too.

Until I tried to fit them on my iPod.

Needs and tastes change.

Banshee16

First Post
Yeah, I used to like vinyl and vacuum tube amps, too.

Until I tried to fit them on my iPod.

Needs and tastes change.

My iPod's more *convenient* than my CD player. But if I want good audio, I listen to my stereo and CD's....not MP3's. The difference is marked.

I also find reading on a screen far more tiring, and less satisfying than just having a book in front of me. The only advantage a screen gives me is the ability to have a bunch of books easily......same thing with carrying MP3's in a player. The actual quality isn't better. Just the convenience.

Banshee

Dannager

First Post
My iPod's more *convenient* than my CD player. But if I want good audio, I listen to my stereo and CD's....not MP3's. The difference is marked.

I also find reading on a screen far more tiring, and less satisfying than just having a book in front of me. The only advantage a screen gives me is the ability to have a bunch of books easily......same thing with carrying MP3's in a player. The actual quality isn't better. Just the convenience.

Banshee

That was sort of my point.

Convenience has a way of winning out in the end.

I'll note, however, that the objective quality of what you're reading on a screen is better; you have the ability to zoom to levels that the unaided human eye could not see at on a physical page, and your digital copy will never degrade (in fact, you can make as many loss-less copies of it as you care to).

Your personal hedonics, however, are no doubt a different matter entirely.

DumbPaladin

First Post

Banshee

"You must spread the XP around before giving it to Banshee16 again."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads