• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E [Pathfinder] Software Support?

LWDPressRelease

First Post
So is Pathfinder included in one of the already existing sets (d20 system?), or is it going to be one that requires a completely separate purchase/activation?

The Pathfinder data files for Hero Lab are a separate package. We split them off so that we could rip out a lot of the baggage from d20 that is no longer needed and be able to readily incorporate new changes as the Pathfinder system evolves in the years to come, with having to worry about maintaining compatibility with all the old d20 mechanics.

LWDPressRelease

First Post
Can either HeroForge or HeroLab allow me to mix and match?

With Hero Lab, you can add whatever custom content you want. So you could add the Warforged and Catfolk races, as well as any classes you might want. This applies equally to published material as well as home-brew material.

We have an active community on our forums that have been adding and sharing content for d20, and they've already begun discussing the same for Pathfinder.

Do either of these products have something where I can enter my own adjustments?

You can also readily customize built-in content (e.g. core classes), as well as modify content created by others. So if you want to change the a class to a different hit die type, you can do so. If you want to change the damage of all longswords to 2d4 instead of 1d8, you can do so.

So as I see it, any software needs to utilize the Pathfinder Core Rules as its background, but also have other classes from other sources. I do see how this could cause a problem with some classes - such as the Euridite, where it is a d4 hit dice and of course uses 3.5 skills. So I would either have to be able to "copy" the class and be able to make a EurditePRPG class changing the hit dice and skills. Of course, being able to provide this new class to others would be important (but I'd assume that aspect, since the Eurdite is from Complete Psionic so other fans would have already had to create the class and share it).

That's exactly how Hero Lab works. When using the Editor, it's easiest to start by copying something similar to what you want. Then you just make the necessary tweaks. So there is no need to recreate everything from scratch. Although you are able to do that if you prefer.

Of course all this is a fairy tale and very unlikely, but wouldn't it be great?

Not a fairy tale at all. It's how Hero Lab already works. :)

One caveat: We had just over a month in which to fully implement the Pathfinder Core Rules. We didn't get everything finished in time for GenCon, but folks on our forums said they would rather have the data files early and incomplete instead of waiting an extra couple weeks. So we released early. However, the *last* thing we add, after everything else is in place, is the Editor. This means that the Editor for adding custom content won't be available until next week, when we release a free update with the stuff that is currently missing. If you want to take a look at how editing will work for Pathfinder now, please grab the d20 data files and take them for a test drive in demo mode.

LWDPressRelease

First Post
Oh, and sorry for the lag in responding to any of these questions. Between the insanity of GenCon and dropping/breaking my laptop (aka dev system) in the airport on the flight home, I'm *way* behind in getting caught up on this stuff.

Papa-DRB

First Post
According the the BoD open meeting last Monday night, the License Review Team would have a look at the data sets this weekend (Labor Day in the USA) and then poll the data team members before releasing the first draft of the final rule set. So hopefully this week (September 7th thru 11th).

As far as Legacy of Fire AP, as soon as someone does it. Don't forget it is still DnD V3.5, and not the Pathfinder rule set.

-- david
Papa.DRB

When is PCGen going to put out the latest PF dataset(s), i.e., Legacy of Fire AP, the Official Rules dataset, etc?

According the the BoD open meeting last Monday night, the License Review Team would have a look at the data sets this weekend (Labor Day in the USA) and then poll the data team members before releasing the first draft of the final rule set. So hopefully this week (September 7th thru 11th).

As far as Legacy of Fire AP, as soon as someone does it. Don't forget it is still DnD V3.5, and not the Pathfinder rule set.

-- david
Papa.DRB

Thanks!

Erik Mona

Adventurer
We hope to release three iPhone apps in the next couple of months. Almost all of the programming is done, and we're basically waiting for the paperwork at Apple to clear at this point.

If those prove to be profitable, we'll look at doing more and expanding to other mobile platforms.

I was really impressed with the Pathfinder RPG demo that the guys at Hero Lab showed me at Gen Con. We've been working with them for years, and they are great at what they do.

As are the PCGen folks, who provide a good product at a great price.

We have lots of other stuff coming up in the hopper, including projects with well-known companies.

It's all very exciting!

--Erik Mona
Publisher
Paizo Publishing

Honestly, I wouldn't use a character generator on my phone...I'd rather have the print out...

I thought pcgen said by 2 weeks ago they'd have some info...

The herolab one is nice, but the program itself is a little expensive ($30 for the initial system, $20 for each additional system you want), which is what keeps me from going to it.

Remove ads