PATHFINDER UNCHAINED Is Finally Here!

It's time to delve into variant rules systems and options which push the Pathfinder RPG to its limits as Pathfinder Unchained officially hits store shelves today (though some folks have it already). I've talked about it a few times before on this page, but for those not in the known, Pathfinder Unchained is the books where lead designer Jason Bulmahn said "Let us do a book filled with whatever crazy ideas we have floating around in our heads" and to which Erik Mona said "No." He changed his mind. Hit up your local game store for a copy of the book!

It's time to delve into variant rules systems and options which push the Pathfinder RPG to its limits as Pathfinder Unchained officially hits store shelves today (though some folks have it already). I've talked about it a few times before on this page, but for those not in the known, Pathfinder Unchained is the books where lead designer Jason Bulmahn said "Let us do a book filled with whatever crazy ideas we have floating around in our heads" and to which Erik Mona said "No." He changed his mind. Hit up your local game store for a copy of the book!

You can also order it from Paizo directly. And when you have it, be sure to rate and comment on it right here at EN World!

unchained.jpg

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Was Pathfinder chained up before now? Is it, in fact ... (gasp)... the Chained God Tharizdun and finally free to wreak havoc on the Known Worlds™?!?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Was Pathfinder chained up before now? Is it, in fact ... (gasp)... the Chained God Tharizdun and finally free to wreak havoc on the Known Worlds™?!?

That slut will pop up in anybody's multiverse who has a cultist who's between gods and time to kill. :)

Just bought the PDF and I'm still absorbing it - i do feel like this book will get more people playing rogues now, which is good.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Just been trying to take in the information and process it. Pathfinder is so huge now. I'm really happy they decided to do about 4 big core books a year. Initially this was great but even now, the game is starting to bend at the foundations from the immense amount of STUFF in the game. This is frankly an amazing mess. I mean that in the best way possible. The game... god... at this point I don't know what the game DOESN'T offer. Especially with unchained adding such interesting options that DO change the game fundamentally. There's so much to the game. I don't know where to praise the game for this incredible accomplishment, or go take an aspirin for the sheer amount of information my brain has to process, or would have to process when running an actual game.

It's.. god it's insane. Just that's all I can call it. Pathfinder as a whole is completely insane. Just take that how you will. I can't tell you if it's amazing or awful. This book just adds so much, and when I think of everything else... at this point, the ONLY thing I could possibly think of is a hardback source book that delves into modern and sci-fi stuff. Like... literally that's it. I know they have a paperback book tech guide, but I haven't looked into it.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I never got the bloat issue. You do not have to buy/use every options out there.

I see 3.x as a edition with a ton of resources at my disposal. One moment I can adapt Ghostwalk, another I can use vestiges, another incantations, another mythic rules , another use honor and in another let players manage a business.

However, I do so in a home game. Playing in stores gives less flexibility. A lot of talk was done around playstyles, but very little as been said about the issues that come with where, when and with whom you play.

Evenglare

Adventurer
I agree completely that you don't have to use them. The thing is though that many people DO like to use them. Clearly, because they are selling these splat books and people keep buying them. So I think many people want to embrace the entirety of the game. The bloat issue also occurs for new players. They are ignorant about tabletop stuff and when you see the gigantic massive amount of books and rules it can be a deterrent. Sure they can read up and study about what you need or what you don't need but realistically first impressions are hard to combat. Also, IF a new player does want to go and study up on what they might want or need the ever growing option list means more studying and learning.

System bloat is a thing, pretty much everyone agrees that 3.5 was god awful in this respect (the sheer amount of books being made, not the quality of the books or rules). Pathfinder clearly took a step back focusing more on their stories. This is great, like I said 4 books a year was much much better than 12 books that wizards were putting out each year (one per month ideally). However the longer time marches on, the bloat inevitably builds up. It's unavoidable unless you put out the 3 core books and leave it be. So now, as we are seeing with 5e, wizards has learned from the past and they are being VERY slow with their spat release. I think this is best for the game, but its own problems arise. People start feeling like the system isn't being supported blah blah.

Basically you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Also don't get me wrong. I love pathfinder, I love splat books. I also like using lots of fiddly rules to change the feel of the game. Depending on what I want to use, it can be daunting if lots of splats are used. That's also the bloat problem. It's not that every option is being use all the time. It's that more rules are available, so you may only want to pick a few things from a few books, but then you have to keep up with all the books being used etc etc.

At least that's my take on it. It's a double edged sword. You can run a very detail oriented game using lots of little subsystems but it becomes harder to manage or you can run a rules light system (along the lines of 13th age) and miss out on all that detail that others might want. There's no right answer, and each argument is valid. The point I just wanted to make was that, if you step back and look at pathfinder as a whole. It's so incredibly complex. That's a wonderful and terrifying thing depending on your point of view.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I agree completely that you don't have to use them. The thing is though that many people DO like to use them. Clearly, because they are selling these splat books and people keep buying them. So I think many people want to embrace the entirety of the game.

I do not agree with this. The thing we do the most with books is buy them. Some people will stop there. Most read them, at least parts of them. Then some of those people will analyze what they read. Maybe theorycraft. Then some of those people will discuss what they read and analyzed. Finally, some of those people will play games and incorporate a few things from the book they just book now and then (new classes can be the exception).

It is the sad truth. We play D&D/Pathfinder less than we read it/talk about it. And when we play, we cannot use everything we have even if we want to (how do you use a CR 20 monster with level 5 PCs?).

tl;dr: Having people buy books doesn't mean people use their content.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
Received yesterday. I just skim the book and there are like 4 or 5 things I'm implementing. A lot of other things I'm exciting to check. dam I have a travel next week and don't have time to read this.

Remove ads

Remove ads