• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pay to Play at FLGS?

Dykstrav

Adventurer
The pay-to-play issue is one that I have some interest in. I used to make around $200 of purchases per month and play there once every two weeks, so around $100 or so per session I played there. I thought that'd mean I could get some table space. Thing is, people with nothing else to do on a weekend just hang around the game store until someone volunteers to run a one-shot or play Magic or whatever, then I'm asked to end my session of a regular campaign early to make table space for casual gamers who were just hanging out with nothing better to do with their weekend. People who might buy $10 of snacks and drinks over the course of their entire 12-hour stay at the game store that day and complain that a can of soda costs 80 cents. I seriously doubt that they were spending more than me at the store, so I doubt that it's a strictly monetary issue.

I actually offered to pay for the table space so that we could have a place to play. They weren't keen on the idea, citing a concern that it would empower the people with money to dictate who plays at their store (to which I wondered why the hell a store wouldn't want paying customers to be attracted to their establishment). But it's not my store space. I just had to find another place to play. I learned that purchases do not equate to play space, at least in my local game store.

I don't understand their actions, but again... It's not my retail space. Someone else is going to start getting my gaming money.

Personally, the solution that I'd be happy with is to actually pay for the space itself. I'd gladly pay up to $50 or so to cover my entire session, around $10/hour or so. I'd pay it myself sometimes and sometimes I'd ask my players to either help pony up the cash for the table or volunteer a place to play on a rotating basis. As far as I can see, directly charging for the table space is the only way to directly affect the demand for the supply of table space.

Another interesting idea might be to charge players a nominal fee to play (say, $2-5 per session), but not charge the DM to run his session there. The collected fees would be store credit to the DM. That'd be a certain degree of guaranteed purchases and it'd also be a way to encourage people to DM. I'd pay to play a game with a decent DM every once in a while, and I'd jump at a chance to run games there myself.

This last line is a bit dramatic, especially since your examples have nothing to do with the case at hand.

Maybe. :) I just get sick and tired of people complaining about money when RPGs have a lot of entertainment value in the long run. Many gamers don't have a solid perspective of exactly how much value they are getting out of their game of choice.

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
Names of the stores?

Swords and Superheroes in Kingwood (Houston), TX, is the one that expects you to spend $5.00 after you've been there for 1/2 hour or more. I've never been in the place, so I don't know how strictly they enforce this policy. Supposedly this is particularly enforced for D&D Encounters on Wednesday nights. I might go test the theory tonight.

The other place is Fat Ogre Games & Comics in The Woodlands, TX. I've been there. In fact, I bought my D&D 4e Core box set there. The fellow behind the counter was pleasant. He didn't have any copies of the WotC adventure that was being given out for Free RPG Day, but when I bought the $120 box set he suddenly had his personal copy to give away. :)

I've never had a problem in the place, but I also have never been there to browse for more than 20 minutes, and I've never wanted to play in the place. It's a medium-sized store with about half of the space dedicated to several game tables which were pretty full this past Saturday evening (6ish) when I popped in to look for a specific board game (not in stock, and can't get from distributor . . . really? Battlestar Galactica Pegusus expansion is pretty new).

Fat Ogre sells drinks/snacks and has a sign posted prohibiting outside food. I'm cool with that. If I wanted to play in a gamestore and was there for 4 hours I could easily see spending a few bucks on drinks/snacks, but to have it forced on me would drive me out of the place instantly.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
my FLGS (enchanted grounds, Denver) charges 2$ a person for LFR and encounter games. Then the DM gets a 10$ gift card.

They have about 18 LFR games a month +2 tables of encounters.

Its occasionally been annoying but its a good deal for the DM's. I have no other reason to run LFR, as I like home games better, but this system has gotten me to run a few games for them.

As someone who buys most of his books online....

There are just a few reasons for me to even go into an FLGS:

1. Emotional factors. These include loyalty to a kind shopkeep, guilt at browsing books and not buying anything, emotional appreciation for hobby visibility.

2. The opportunity to "try before I buy". Often (especially third party, out of print, or non mainstream) books are not browsable in any format online. I go to the store to check out books so I know if I want to pay for them or not. If they are reasonably priced, I'll buy one or two.

3. The opportunity to meet other gamers in a space and potentially play with them.

So, should a store set policies that make me 1. begin to have negative rather than positive emotions, 2. limit my ability to try before I buy, and 3. make it less likely for me to meet and or play with other gamers...well, there would then be NO reason for me to buy my books there rather than for much cheaper online.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
The pay-to-play issue is one that I have some interest in. I used to make around $200 of purchases per month and play there once every two weeks, so around $100 or so per session I played there. I thought that'd mean I could get some table space. Thing is, people with nothing else to do on a weekend just hang around the game store until someone volunteers to run a one-shot or play Magic or whatever, then I'm asked to end my session of a regular campaign early to make table space for casual gamers who were just hanging out with nothing better to do with their weekend. People who might buy $10 of snacks and drinks over the course of their entire 12-hour stay at the game store that day and complain that a can of soda costs 80 cents. I seriously doubt that they were spending more than me at the store, so I doubt that it's a strictly monetary issue.

Since you're in Raleigh (I live in Apex), would you mind telling me which store that was?

Rykion

Explorer
Pay to browse is a ridiculous concept that serves no purpose but to alienate customers.

Pay to play is a reasonable concept, especially with the proliferation of people who buy online and just see FLGS as places to play. RPGs are also a problem as they take a long time to play, and only require financial investment by the GM. Selling snacks is a good idea, but probably doesn't pay the extra bills involved in having a dedicated playing area.

If a FLGS finds a lot of people playing without buying, I think the best model would be to charge a modest fee, maybe $5, for each participant playing at the store. The store should then give everyone a gift certificate/gaming card for the same amount of store credit. People who need a place to play will have it, and it will encourage them to buy something while they're in the store.

S

Sunseeker

my FLGS (enchanted grounds, Denver) charges 2$ a person for LFR and encounter games. Then the DM gets a 10$ gift card.

I'm not familiar with LFR, but I was under the impression that Encouters, being a WOTC promotion, could not be charged for. Maybe the stores around me are cool, and I realize they're giving that money back to the DM(assuming each game has 5 players exactly), but that still sounds iffy.

As an addendum to my last post, my only personal qualm with charging a fee is that I see some improvement over time in the quality of the store or the offerings when the mony isn't directed back to me. IE: if I get a gift-card, that's cool, probably going to spend money there anyway. But if they're collecting a fee, I know it's not costing them what we're paying just to keep the lights on and the bathroom clean.

Maybe add some general use books for borrowing while running a game. Maybe some minis or some cool paint. But just asking for our money and giving us nothing more than a room(unless the cost is REALLY cheap, <$5) is a little insulting.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I am in favor of whatever keeps a FLGS open and well-stocked.

That said, I think at least the first hour of browsing should be free. Also, if the competitor across town isn't charging me to shop there, I'll probably spend more time at the competitor.

My FLGS has a gaming area in the back of the store. To game in the back area it cost $10 per month and you also get 1 hour internet access as part of the deal. There are higher levels available (at higher costs) that give you additional things such as discounts off your purchases.

They also have the "no outside food and drinks" rule but do have drinks and things like chips and gravy, hamburgers, etc. available to buy (they make the meals themselves). They have gradually expanded their food and drinks offerings in line with the types of things that their gaming members have asked for.

I think everyone is generally happy with the set-up. The store is located in the city (population of about 1 million) sp if you really want to get a drink or some food other than what is on offer then there are numerous options within walking distance. You just can't consume them in the store.

If you just want to come along and play without being a member I think the cost is $2-3 per session. I haven't attended any D&D days, or anything like that but I imagine that they wouldn't charge newcomers for attending those events. And charging people to browse just seems like a really bad business idea.

Note: I am in Australia. While the Aussie dollar is almost at parity with the US dollar at the moment, it generally sits around the $0.70/$0.80 mark. So $10/month is probably equal to $8/month USD.

Olaf the Stout

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads