• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paying the Pig vs. Goofing Off

What's an effective way to encourage more RP?

• Make the players pay in real money (Paying the pig)

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Enforce an XP penalty.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • Just let it go.

Votes: 26 43.3%

Tsyr

Explorer
Piratecat said:
Paying the pig works for us! Of course, that's probably obvious. :D Tsyr, I think you're missing the point; it isn't like someone grabs your wallet and pulls nickels and dimes out of it. But we've agreed that once "chat time" is over and the game starts, we minimize table talk. Everyone agrees, it's fun, it makes people think twice, and it keeps folks focused on the game.

For reference - $.05 for bad puns, $.10 for OOC talk, $.25 for war stories about old PCs. It goes to pay for soda.

I play in a game that doesn't do this, and it drives me nuts - we never accomplish anything.

I'm not missing the point, I just don't like it and was perhaps a bit over entusiastic in saying so. We pay for soda on a rotating shedule in some groups, in other it's a BYOB type deal, and in others it's just "Hey, who wants to pay it this week?", but all of them work fine... there is really nothing the jar would pay for. And I don't mind a little banter anyhow... it helps keep the mood enjoyable, IMHO. If it gets to be a problem, like I said, then I will (eventualy) resort to XP penalties or some other in-game problem. Normaly I find a gentle reminder is plenty.

But, then, around here brief breaks at regular intervals are common... five minutes or so every hour, one good 15-30 minute break in the middle of a really long (6+ hour) session. Stretch your lets, go to the bathroom, get a new drink, talk, etc. Get it out of your system.

Little stuff like "Hey, doesn't this remind you of XXXX?" or jokes somehow related to the game, they don't bother me if it's not excessive. When the chatter goes completely, totaly, WAAAAY off topic, then I do get a little grumpy, yes. But again, I find a reminder is normaly plenty. And if I'm in a one-on-one session with a player for some little bit of RP, I don't mind if the players chat in the background, if they keep the volume down. I'm not gonna make them sit like little stone statues or anything.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Fun = good

$.05 for bad puns? Man, if our group did that our soda fund would never run dry.

On the one hand, you want to get into the game. On the other, you don't want the game to become like work. I think each group needs to find a balance.

The guy who advocated rewards instead of penalties is on the right track.

Our group is a bit rambunctious, but aside from the bad puns and occassional movie references, almost all of our goofing off is in-character. As in, pranks, jokes at an NPC's expense, etc. That's good stuff. That's role playing. Or more specifically, role playing a Gnome and a 8 Charisma wood elf joker.

-z, who believes smiles seen around the gaming table is a good thing.

El Seso

First Post
Good question. We have this problem in our group, but we have never discussed it. I am the primary jokester in my group, which sucks sometimes because most of the other players seem to get annoyed. I like Zaruthustran's idea of goofing off IC, so I'll have to try that (when it's appropriate for my character, of course).

I'm afraid I've never heard the term "paying the pig".

Jeremy

Explorer
In our particular group, of which Velenne is a part, we have a tremendous problem keeping focussed.

On the other hand, we play 10 hour games. Attention spans aren't that high even in MENSA.

In any case, in my current game I tried XP rewards for good RP, staying in character in a moment given to levity, or just plain clever ideas. I haven't seen any effect on cutting down the OOC chat...

We have three rowdy lewd jokers, two flatulence fanatics, one incurable punster, two tag alongs, one callous insult-thrower, one person given to really ugly stares for goofing off, three people who spend at least half the game on the couches instead of at the table, and 7 old friends who get carried away much too easily.

Of course, there are only 7 of us so there is a lot of overlap in there, but we got enough problems that we occasionally have games where it feels like NOTHING got done. How can you accomplish nothing in 10 hours of play?

In any case, xp penalties would get me lynched, I can't see my group bringing handfuls of change and being good natured enough to pony up when they slip-----much less learn from it and slip less, and xp bonuses have already failed.

Ah well. We get some good play in, but we really need (and have needed for a long time) a way to cut down the OOC chatter. We've talked about it, we've agreed upon it, but every game it's the same old poor jokes, sorry puns, and totally seperated from the game shop talk. :(

Teflon Billy

Explorer
My games are more about "Friends getting together" than any Joseph Campbellian "Retelling of the myths of the human race".

Table talk and goofing around are expected. Hell, I (as the DM) take part.

I would never try and punish my friends for conversing.

What does piss me off no end though, is when someone is trying to RP something, and people whose characters are not present are chattering away.

But usually a simple "Shut it", or "Take it outside" does the job.

Like I say, these people are all my good friends. I don't need to exactly "lean" on them.

Last edited:

I sometimes wish i could get everyone in my group to agree to the pig, The DM's wife in particular can be horrably distracting when she really doesn't feal like playing. It has also become a serious problem in the game i run every other week at a local comic book shop. We have very limited time and the group has a mild for of ADD, from what i can tell.

I don't think i'd penalise XP for any reason, heck i don't even like monsters that cause perminant level drain.

jester47

First Post
All in all, as long as the ammounts are kept small, I think paying the pig is ok. (but I would call it paying the Orc, or better yet, THE TROLL)

I like piratecat's suggestions.

$.05 for bad puns,
$.10 for OOC talk,
$.25 for war stories about old PCs

I would add

$.20 per ring for leaving your cell phone or pager on
$.25 for non game related talk
$.50 for being disruptively silly (pencils or dice up the nose, etc.)
$1.00 for farts, leaving the table (bathroom and refreshment ok), or answering your cell phone.

x2 if it has to do with a cell phone

Aaron.

edited for the part about THE TROLL.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Piratecat said:
Paying the pig works for us! Of course, that's probably obvious. :D Tsyr, I think you're missing the point; it isn't like someone grabs your wallet and pulls nickels and dimes out of it. But we've agreed that once "chat time" is over and the game starts, we minimize table talk. Everyone agrees, it's fun, it makes people think twice, and it keeps folks focused on the game.

For reference - $.05 for bad puns, $.10 for OOC talk, $.25 for war stories about old PCs. It goes to pay for soda.

I play in a game that doesn't do this, and it drives me nuts - we never accomplish anything.

We did something similar at my old workplace with a "YerMom Jar", You paid $0.25 every time you made a joke about someones mom. You are thinking "No way, that is so juvenile, no adult makes mom jokes!" Yeah, well, you would be surprised. In fact, the jar almost encouraged the jokes - since you wanted to tell a mom joke that people nodded there head, said oooooh, and knew it was worth the money you paid for it.

We bought a pitcher of Margarittas every 6 months or so with the contents of the jar...

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
jester47 said:
All in all, as long as the ammounts are kept small, I think paying the pig is ok. (but I would call it paying the Orc, or better yet, THE TROLL)

I like piratecat's suggestions.

$.05 for bad puns,
$.10 for OOC talk,
$.25 for war stories about old PCs

I would add

$.20 per ring for leaving your cell phone or pager on
$.25 for non game related talk
$.50 for being disruptively silly (pencils or dice up the nose, etc.)
$1.00 for farts, leaving the table (bathroom and refreshment ok), or answering your cell phone.

x2 if it has to do with a cell phone

Aaron.

edited for the part about THE TROLL.

What do you have against cell phones? Are you trying to say that its one thing to alienate your friends and family by playing your hobby once a week - but you dare not actually talk to them if they need to speak with you during the game!

Man, what a terrible policy! Without the cell phone, I would probably never be able to play the game again. Stuff happens, and you need to communicate with your family when it does!

Remove ads