• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paying the Pig vs. Goofing Off

What's an effective way to encourage more RP?

• Make the players pay in real money (Paying the pig)

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Enforce an XP penalty.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • Just let it go.

Votes: 26 43.3%

Poltergeist

First Post
I was in a group once upon a time that had two members that began to agitate for "never saying anything out of character", etc, etc and called anything that anyone said out of character a "detraction."

There was discussion about xp penalties, etc. etc, and much of the talk was leveled at yours truly. I argued against the "experience penalty rule" because I knew deep within myself that A) I had always been a straight A student and would begin focusing on never detracting ruining all sense of fun and B) that people tend to perceive only *others* as detracting and don't perceive their own comments, out of character jokes, etc, etc.

After the discussion, I spent the entire next game in character and did not make a single out of character comment. I got a commitment from the other players to do the same, barring the DM and the other guy who was agitating for experience penalties for people who "detracted."

Take a wild guess what we all saw? The DM and the other guy made constant out of character jokes, comments, etc. etc. and in my opinion, to no greater than they had done all along. Essentially, they are my case for point B) above...many times the people who complain of "detraction" or "other people not role playing" are just as "disruptive" or more so than anyone else...they simply find the comments of *others* disruptive while they perceive their own jokes, out of character comments, etc. as not an issue.

Just my two copper pieces!

Tuerny

First Post
Personally I solve the problem by playing with a group that is getting together to game rather than to socialize.

We rarely have the problem of OOC chit-chat and seem to get alot accomplished within the context of the game.

In those rare cases when the chatter becomes a problem just reminding them is usually enough to get things back on track.

Stormwing

First Post
In our hard-core-gaming times our group had a chess-clock on the table -1 1/2 hours chit-chat were permited per session . Hit it if you want to say something OOC !

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads