D&D 5E PC Permadeath: Yea or Nay?

My opinion on the matter lives over here, but I'm curious how the rest of you guys do it. When a PC fails that last saving throw, how do you handle it? Does the player get a say in their resurrection? Do you go strictly by the book? House rule it? How do you like to handle resurrection at your table?

It’s a game. Sometimes you lose at it. But like any other game if you lose, you can just pick it back up and try again.

But...the dice speak for themselves at my table. I don’t fudge in either direction, so if the roll of the death saving throws spell the end, that’s it. It would be up to the group, in the game, to work out recovering and preserving the body, getting it back to town and spending the resources and time needed for a raise.

In the meantime the player can play a follower or henchman or roll up a new character and I’ll work it in. I’m not going to keep a player out of the game long.

I do like the idea of longer term consequences to character death. I’m considering a table to roll as side effects to raise (like the Adventurer Conqueror King System). But I also like pming’d idea of increasing the death save target, so simple!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Perma-death

Without death life has no meaning.
Without meaning there is no sense of consequence.
Without a sense of consequence there is no fear.
Without fear there can be no bravery.
Without bravery there can be no heroics.
Without heroics there is no story.
And without a story you might as well just play a board game.

Nobody ever wrote an epic story about Monopoly.

Reviving is OK, but Raise Dead does nothing but animate a corpse and Resurrection is no more than a myth In my games.

But.....but.....fear leads to the dark side.

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
D&D is a game.
The purpose of playing a Game is Fun and Enjoyment.
Losing your character against your will is NOT FUN.
Sitting there NOT PLAYING while the game goes on is NOT FUN.

Generally we go one of two ways.
1> If the player WANTS to revive their character, we let them play a side character (like a hireling) until they get back to a place where resurrection would be possible. If the party can't foot the GP bill for the necessary spells, then either they end up sacrificing something else to pay the debt, or taking on a new quest (adventure hook!) on behalf of the church to pay the debt.

2> If the DOES NOT WANT to revive their character, we let them make a new character at the current party level, outfit it decently but a little below where the party is, and incorporate them as quickly as possible. This is the more common choice in our group. (Often, we just shoe horn them into the adventure as someone to be rescued in the dungeon.)

DRF

First Post
D&D is a game.
The purpose of playing a Game is Fun and Enjoyment.
Losing your character against your will is NOT FUN.

This is such a utilitarian and weak mentality. The satisfaction gained from overcoming challenges is infinitely more rewarding than the simple "fun" achieved from overcoming obstacles where failure is not even a realistic option.

Sitting there NOT PLAYING while the game goes on is NOT FUN.

This has nothing to do with character death.

When a PC dies, and the party attempts to resurrect them, I ask the player if their character wants to return back to life. We might even play out the journey into the great beyond, and have the PC meet with death himself, who then offers the PC a choice to either return to life, or remain dead. At least, that's how I would rule it under normal circumstances.

In my current campaign however, if a character dies at sea, they travel into the Eternal Depths itself. The party would need to rescue the deceased player from this realm, which is extremely dangerous. This adds an extra layer of suspense to the looming threat of character death in my setting.

delericho

Legend
In all seriousness, while I'm not a fan of the Revolving Door of Death, in practice I apply the rules for resurrection (and similar) by the book... mostly.

One of the things I do, though, is to give the player the opportunity to tweak some aspects of the character to reflect the post-death experience. In particular, I encourage them to change one of more their Traits, Bond, or Flaw - they come back, but not quite the same. (I also intend to come up with a few backgrounds for revenant PCs, that the player could then switch to. But I've never quite gotten around to that.)

Of course, if the player is quite happy with the character and can't be persuaded to change, that's fine too - ultimately, it's their character.

schnee

First Post
I leave it up to the player.

If someone wants to be old-school grinder about it, and gets satisfaction from that, then I let them. Or, if they want to be more narrative, and want to fulfill some character arc that being resurrected will satisfy, then I will enable that, too.

I do that because not everyone is the same, and by making the arc of the character fully collaborative I'm often surprised in a pleasant way that makes the game more fun for me. But, we do default to RAW, and anything that deviates from that needs to work within the boundaries and realities of the world we've created and can't denigrate the rest of the table's experience. So, yeah - there's a lot of ambiguity, but our table is reasonable enough that it works out.

Assuming they want to come back...

If so, are they OK with some new DM-created twist being added as a consequence of this that they didn't anticipate? Or do they have one already in mind?

If they want to take the character development in a different direction based on what happened, how about a different class archetype or class, with their ultimate arc changed by the experience? Or, if the circumstances allow, a Revenant? I present some of the options to less-experienced players and let them think about it.

5ekyu

Hero
Death is meaningless in real life too, why should it be different at the table?

Provided that the DM isn't out to get the PCs, then they died because of their own actions and choices. I'm definitely in the group of people who think that removing perma death removes any tension and feeling of danger and consequences. I'd be bored to tears playing a campaign where I didn't fear for my character's life.

It seems to me that the lessons learned through perma death are far more valuable than any setting-rules learned through resurrection. Besides, if dying isn't even an option, then why have the game element? Just tell a story together.

Well, see that is where my group is different.

my players are very worried and very engaged in whether or not their character's achieve the goals they are pursuing. Their main concerns are more often about all sorts of things and "character death" is just one of them. Consequences include failure and that may mean losing the ship they have worked so long to get, losing NPCs they have come to be invested in, seeing their rivals take greater power and control but in general the result of loss more often manifests itself in one thing that mostly i have seen players hate the most - loss of control.

Most often, on the big picture level - Winning = making the decisions of what happens... Losing = losing that control.

Death (temporary) can be another impediment to that exertion of control/influence.
Death (perma) is the opposite - a removal of participation until the next character comes along with new backgrounds and such.

When i have had players who came from games with the mindset of perma death being the only source for feelings of tension, danger and consequences I try and show them that they can play in my game in a way that says "there is more to value in this game than my survival" and IMX (not necessarily yours) that increases their fun, their eagerness to engage in the story and so on.

But, yes, we do agree on that last part. its what i tried to get across in my earlier response... there needs to be two different decisions not just a perma death yay or nay in most campaigns.

For setting purposes - what are the effects of death and return - how does it happen, who can do it etc all of which affect the world in major major ways. For this in my game it is done with the soulcatchers approach which creates a lot of roleplaying opportunities, leaves permadeath as a possibility and as a common man thing for most people, etc. it essentially turns the ability to be revived into a reward.

For PC/player purposes - how can we die? How common will it be? As you referred to it, how will that play out as a game mechanic. Can it happen just off a bad die roll? For my games, that answer is essentially it cannot occur from bad dice but can occur from either player choice (including obviously suicidal acts which will prompt cautions from the Gm) or from neglect (others not moving to take actions to save them.) this highlights the drama involved in the "dying" parts. As such, things like "massive damage you dead" disintegrate and power word kill get significant changes or they get removed.

Disintigrate for example replaces the at zero body poof with: If you are reduced to zero the body begins to disintegrate. Death saves are made with several adjustments. Each failed death save accumulates to the three AND the loss of one item of exceptional value plus 1d6 items of mundane value. A successful death save, stabilization efforts and even active healing only prevents the gaining of a failure for that round and they do not accumulate positive saves. the effect continues until the character gains three fails and dies and the body disintigrates OR ranks of healing spells equal to the rank of the spell slot used have been expended. At that point the character is at zero HP and stable.

that leaves disintegrate as a very dramatic difference from say other normal "zeroes", adds a more serious path to cure, restricts what can be done to save etc... without the IMO tension killing "poof gone one bad roll, over now, nothing to see here, move along."

by making "unusual zeroes" creates different dynamics for the "three way dance to death" that turns each of those "more serious" ways to get zeroed into much more extreme cases that play out while the combat, scene win/loss is still "en prise" so to speak.

But that is me and that is what my players find more enjoyable. I am sure others can have different preferences.

5ekyu

Hero
This is such a utilitarian and weak mentality. The satisfaction gained from overcoming challenges is infinitely more rewarding than the simple "fun" achieved from overcoming obstacles where failure is not even a realistic option.

This has nothing to do with character death.

While i get that that is just a statement of preference, i just want to note that you were responding to a post about losing a character against you will with a comment about the joy of having a realistic chance of failure... death is not the only way failure is a threat, right?

A character can lose a fight, die, come back and still see they have failed and now have a different situation to deal with.

"Well, we lost and while you were in the after-life hot tub, the town was sacked and many killed - including your beloved - but hundreds of children including your karl were taken as sacrifices to the dark lords favors at the next new moons - so lets go get them outta there."

Ganymede81

First Post
When a character dies in battle, I might have a "You've been captured" up my sleeve, depending on the context of the battle. Intelligent creatures with an agenda might have the motivation to burn a scroll of Revivify in order to turn a corpse into a captive, though, against many monsters, falling in battle is perma-death in a gullet.

While running Curse of Strahd, I'd often curate potential post-death scenarios for the more difficult encounters. One character that fell during a daring escape of the Amber Temple (he had two failed death saves as the Arcanaloth dragged him into darkness) was given the option to live if he made a deal with one of the vestiges (and unknowingly become an evil PC); being the principled cleric he was, he refused the deal and took his permadeath. I also planned for a potential TPK against the Baba Lysaga. If they were to be wiped out by her, she would round them up before they expired, bind them in the roots of her hut, and use her spell slots to cast Geas (Go kill the were-ravens instead of me) on them all.

Remove ads