• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pechs

Iapetus

Explorer
If a Character want's to start as a Pech, what should the stats be? We know by description that they "are thin beings, a little shorter than dwarves and taller than gnomes, but far more willowy than either. They have long arms and legs, broad feet and hands, and yellowish skin. Their large, dark eyes have no pupils, and their hair is red or reddish brown in hue." We also know that they can pass through stone and that they speak to the stone, and it responds as it grows and flows (meaning they can shape stone at will). So what should their stat mods be and what other abilities should they posses (good or bad)?

I have to say that the idea of an adventuring pech had never entered my mind before this moment. They don't really have a PC-class-level feel to them at all. What class do they want to play their pech as?

As for stats... They aren't in the srd, and I don't have my books handy. But as I recall, their racial powers only work in groups, you need X peches present to produce effect Y, that kind of thing.

Iapetus

Explorer
They don't really have a PC-class-level feel to them at all. What class do they want to play their pech as?

It was an idea to be prepared for, in addition to the fact that I, as the DM, have to control them and the bestiary gives no stats for them, given the stats I could derive their bonuses etc.

...as I recall, their racial powers only work in groups, you need X peches present to produce effect Y, that kind of thing.

I believe for most things they can do it themselves like their ability to walk through stone (stone shape at will?), not including creating earth elementals or major creations such as buildings. I think this is because they actually speak to the stone, not control it.

ferratus

Adventurer
I would probably give them a +1 to strength for their ability modifier. Stone tell would be a spell I'd have no problem giving them as a racial power. I'd also give them dwarven ability to identify stonework, sloping passages etc. They should be immune to petrification. Finally, I'd give them stone shape at 1 cubic foot/level, refreshed when they take a short rest.

That should do it for a rough and ready Pech, and then I'd have the more powerful earth elemental powers something that is done when they join hands in a group and perform a ritual led by an elder, just as it was in 1e/2e.

I think you are looking for trouble by giving them the ability to walk through stone though, or casting stone shape at will.

Last edited:

slobo777

First Post
I think you are looking for trouble by giving them the ability to walk through stone though, or casting stone shape at will.

Agreed, check you know what you're letting yourself in for. Those are disruptive abilities for adventures and encounters set underground or in places with stone-walled buildings. Forward-thinking pech could also use such powers very effectively for things like making campsites, crossing ravines etc.

Limited use, and limited effect per use, is the key. If you wish to match D&D Next power levels of the other races in the playtest packet, I'd suggest very limited.

Iapetus

Explorer
I would probably give them a +1 to strength for their ability modifier.

I would think a -2 penalty to strength, and perhaps -1 charisma with a bonus to +1 wisdom. They are small and rather timid, it seemed to me, but know not to make enemies.

The problem with that is that they can walk through stone and shape stone. I could easily see putting a restriction on what stone; like only stone that has not yet been unattached to the ground (bricks for instance would be not allowed because they have lost their life in their separation). And as for over powered use, like shaping a long bridge or an ax, you could limit it to not able to leave the ground and only 10 cubic feet of stone per pech.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would also give them blind sense 90 ft while on natural ground (tremor sense), darkvision 60 feet, but blind for 3d6 rounds in sunlight and half that time dazed.

Last edited:

Remove ads