• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Perkins' Foreword From OUT OF THE ABYSS

WotC's Chris Perkins on the Alice in Wonderland themes of D&D 5th Edition's Rage of Demon's Out of the Abyss by Green Ronin Publishing.

WotC's Chris Perkins on the Alice in Wonderland themes of D&D 5th Edition's Rage of Demon's Out of the Abyss by Green Ronin Publishing.

image.jpg

meomwt

First Post
How much Drizz't? Minimal.

Given that Lloth and Zuggtmoy both started their infernal lives on Greyhawk, not having notes to convert to that world (c.f. Princes of the Apolcalypse) would be a mis-step from WotC. And for easy conversion to other worlds, the presence of iconics from the FR would be a problem that might not be an easy change.

How much of the Forgotten Realms can this adventure have in it? I mean, it is set under the Realms. Is there really so much information available about the Underdark in the Forgotten Realms that you can actually identify them as a distinctive adventure setting? It seems to me that this book will have half a chapter featuring a Realms location - Baldur's Gate, or something - before the players forever descend into a totally novel setting that happens to be located underneath that well-known one.

I'm looking forward to picking it up just for information on what 'The Underdark' looks like in D&D. I've never played much D&D, so I've never seen another GM's interpretation of it; all that I've got to go off is the relevant bits from Baldur's Gate 2 and Neverwinter Nights, which basically make me think of it as this super-dangerous series of caves full of Drow, Beholders and Illithids. That seems cool.

delericho

Legend
How much of the Forgotten Realms can this adventure have in it? I mean, it is set under the Realms. Is there really so much information available about the Underdark in the Forgotten Realms that you can actually identify them as a distinctive adventure setting?

There's actually a fair amount out there about the Underdark in the Realms, and in particular about Menzoberranzan. Since the adventure description name-checks Gromph Baenre, it's not entirely unreasonable to assume that the PCs might be heading to Menzoberranzan for a visit.

Having said that, I think it is unreasonable to assume that WotC will be weaving Salvatore's lore and characters tightly into the adventure. After all, they know that lots of people will be looking to transplant the adventure to other settings, and they also know that spotlighting 'named' NPCs is a poor idea (since the PCs should be the stars). We should probably assume that they know what they're doing.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Presently re-reading the Salvatore Driz'zt prequels, I agree with Perkins, Exile is probably Salvatore's best Realms novel published. No D&D fiction captures that level of characterization and pathos.

rets82

First Post
Our group seems to be in a minority here (at least with those voicing their opinions on these forums), but we are actually looking forward to seeing/hearing/meeting Drizzt.

Most of my players just enjoy the tabletop game but have not read many Forgotten Realms novels. However, you would have to live under a rock not to know about Drizzt.
I use a modern analogy: most people have heard of specific rock stars, movie stars (Madonna, Tom Cruise, etc). By pure reputation alone, most of us have formulated an opinion on these people, without having ever met them. And just like the Player Characters, who may have an opinion of the superstar, there is still a "thrill" of meeting (in person) someone so famous.

As a DM in the Forgotten Realms, it is difficult not to let some of these 'Bigger than Life' NPCs overshadow the PCs. The key is to ensure the characters can 'outshine' those famous NPCs.

Our group is slow and only just starting PotA, that said I can not wait to get my hands on this! At least three of our group are also looking forward to a bit of Drizzt my friend. /high-five!

I happen to really enjoy Salavatore's works although I'm drawing a blank on Troy Denning's writings at the moment (sorry Scrivener, gonna say that there really is some subjectivity here). Salvatore's earliest stuff was bad in that "brand new author writing for a publisher that just got into the field of fiction" sort of way...I almost didn't survive the initial Crystal Shard trilogy but luckily went on to read the Dark Elf trilogy that followed and was subsequently hooked; those three books remain some of my favorite fantasy fiction. Fantasy doesn't have to be high concept Gormenghast stuff for me; it just has to be fun and engaging. I am also enough of a fan for Salvatore that I am not going to be humble/deprecating about my enjoyment of his work: he actually is a decent writer and does know how to tell a good story.

Krafus

First Post
Drizzt, BTW, is an Anakin analogue with the bad dialogue and general mawkishness.

Hmm. It's interesting to note that Salvatore actually wrote the novelization of Attack of the Clones, which I thought was one of his best novels. The characterization in that book, especially of Anakin, is IMO much better than what I read in Salvatore's more recent novels, which seemed to be in a rush to conclude their storyline so Drizzt and his party could move on to Rage of Demons.

All in all, I don't mind Salvatore being directly involved in the planning of this adventure... but I really don't like Troy Denning's involvement. IMO he's one of the worst authors to have written D&D novels, and it saddens me to think of all the better FR authors who seem to have been abandoned by WotC while Denning is still getting work.

Not gonna lie, this sounds super lame. It sounds like they made a land of nightmare and dark into a land of children's stories. Read a Clive Barker novel, then write about the Abyss. Do not take your inspiration from a children's book. PG rated bs. Oh and more Legolas/Drizzt overpowered ubermench bs too. Gotta love that trash. I know, let's make him sparkle in the daylight. We have the feywild for faerie tales.
You mean something more like The Thief of Always?
View attachment 69835

Zil

Explorer
After reading Perkins' foreword, I want to plug the work of Michael Shea (deceased in 2014) which features a few stories with insane, weird visions of underworlds. From what I've played from Green Ronin, its likely the adventure is closer to Michael Shea than Lewis Carroll as well.

The books:
Nifft the Lean (1982), in particular the story "Come Then, Mortal. We Will Seek Her Soul". Nifft and sidekick take a journey into hell as errand boys.

I was not aware that Michael Shea had died. That makes me sad. I rather enjoyed his stories, especially Nifft the Lean. I hope you're right in that Green Ronin managed to push the adventure more that way than the Lewis Caroll Alice in Wonderland pastiche Perkins was alluding to.

dwayne

Adventurer
For me I really don't like the realms at all, just hope there is something I can use from the book other wise will not buy it. In my games the players are the main heroes of the day, and have to be because there are no one else like elemenster or the others like in the realms around. The few who are have there own goals and motivations, yes I set most of mine in a greyhawk tone a bit grim and a gygax hard core quality to most of the adventures I make and run. I am a lot nicer than gygax though but far and don't pull punches and the dice roll what they roll, some times it makes for a better story and other times not so much but at least its all far.

Remove ads

Remove ads