• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Permenency and enlarge

Nasma

First Post
I had an Idea for my fighter to get enlarge cast on him along with permenency. This would just fit him into the large category and allow him the 10ft range and as well as this he would be able to wield a greatsword in one hand.

The problem with this though is obviously the fact that for a relatively low cost he can gain quite large (no pun intendid)benfits.

Just wondering if this was a valid interpretation of the rules or not.

Nasma

First Post
why not? In the MM it has the threshold for large as 8ft. Enlarge can increase height by 50% so if I am 6ft then I should be able to just get over the boundary.

smetzger

Explorer
Nasma said:
why not? In the MM it has the threshold for large as 8ft. Enlarge can increase height by 50% so if I am 6ft then I should be able to just get over the boundary.

Because not matter how mich 'bigger' you make someone the Enlarge spell does not actually change their 'size' category so you don't get extra benefits like reach or the ability to weild 'larger' weapons.

The spell only provides the benefits explicitly defined in the spell description. So basically he gets increased strength, can Jump farther and higher, and can dunk a basketball.

AGGEMAM

First Post
No, no, no!

The list in MM is a guideline, not a rule.

The Sage has terminated this discussion by saying that you can only increase your size category if your size is doubled or more, not merely 50% increase.

EDIT: of course, the no!no! was for nasma.

Last edited:

Nasma

First Post
Is there a way to make the size change permenent? I was thinking that is there was then there would have to be quite a large XP cost to balance it out, I'd say about 1 levels worth.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Nasma said:
Is there a way to make the size change permenent? I was thinking that is there was then there would have to be quite a large XP cost to balance it out, I'd say about 1 levels worth.

Some DM's might allow a Wish/Miracle spell to make that permanent, though I wouldn't.

Btw, you cannot cast a spell with a XP cost, if the cost means you have to drop a level.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads