Pet Food Company Recalls Dog and Cat Food

frankthedm

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
What most people don't know that this case brings out is that the "Big Names" really aren't -- they were all subcontracting to Menu foods to produce their receipes.
That really is a lot of brands too.

Agamon

Adventurer
My mom's cat has been pretty sick for a while, too. She thought it was her age (19), but she's been a really spry cat for her age. Turn's out this cat food is the reason. Hopefully she pulls though, I remember getting that cat as a kid....

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Agamon said:
My mom's cat has been pretty sick for a while, too. She thought it was her age (19), but she's been a really spry cat for her age. Turn's out this cat food is the reason. Hopefully she pulls though, I remember getting that cat as a kid....

I hope so too.

buzzard

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
What most people don't know that this case brings out is that the "Big Names" really aren't -- they were all subcontracting to Menu foods to produce their receipes.

This is a very common procedure in most industries. Many of the "Big Names" no matter your industry use subcontractors to a large firm with the proprietary recipes so they can achieve economies of scale. Snapple back in its Ice Tea days was always just made by Tetley Tea, for example.

Though I wouldn't get too excited about "organic" pet food since it's going to be susceptible to human error as well. We've seen plenty of disease contaminated "organic" food recently.

buzzard

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
For years I've bought the drug store brand of most over-the-counter medicines because they are the same exact thing as the name brand medicine, and in many cases produced by the same company that makes the name brand.

When shopping for groceries, I'm buying more store brand or discount brand products instead of the name brand for the same reason. There's a discount brand called Krasdale found in many supermarkets that is basically name brand food repackaged and sold for less. Krasdale mayo is actually Hellmann's/Real Foods, for example.

Although some store brand things just out and out suck, like store brand colas. :)

dema

First Post
It is sad...

I have 2 cats my wife and I got when we moved out together. I was going to go feed them the premium cats food, like Hills Science, Max something, Iams, etc, but the cost was a bit much for our budget. I lucked out because I feed them the better dry food, and Friskies/Fancy Feast wet food which have almost the same ingredients. I feel it's a good mix. But if these two died I think I would go nuts. I was not a cat person, but we got these when they were less than a month old, they were abandoned, and being raised by a dog. Feeding them from a baby bottle, cleaning their poop, washing them, taking them to the vet for all their shots. Pets really become a part of the family. The US does not recognize them as anything but property though. And my mongrels however special would not be worth much. It's a sad world sometimes.

Needles frequents ENworld with me all the time, he says "PurrrrPrrr."

Chimera

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
Chinese-sourced wheat flour that had been sprayed with something comparable to rat poison.

Which bugs me no end.

The USA and Canada are two of the biggest wheat growing nations in the world. China is nowhere near us in production. Yet they're buying this stuff from CHINA???

You get what you pay for, folks. If it's that much cheaper to buy it from China, it's no small wonder that the stuff is heavily adulterated with toxic substances.

Menu Foods deserves to go bankrupt for this.

Remove ads