D&D 5E Phandelver & Below's Full Description

On Amazon you can read the full back cover text of September's Phandelver and Below: The Shattered Obelisk. The description includes hint at a villainous cult to a malevolent entity, a bestiary of over 20 new creatures, a magic appendix, and a double-sided poster map. The hardcover comes out on September 19th, with Beadle & Grimm's deluxe edition following in October. Uncover a new threat to...

81o3h3yBNUL.jpg

On Amazon you can read the full back cover text of September's Phandelver and Below: The Shattered Obelisk. The description includes hint at a villainous cult to a malevolent entity, a bestiary of over 20 new creatures, a magic appendix, and a double-sided poster map. The hardcover comes out on September 19th, with Beadle & Grimm's deluxe edition following in October.

Uncover a new threat to Phandalin in this timeless dungeoneering adventure for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

Phandelver and Below: The Shattered Obelisk is a high-fantasy adventure that begins in the beloved town of Phandalin as it faces unimaginable danger. Whether the heroes are newcomers to Phandalin or are returning after the acclaimed Dungeons & Dragons adventure Lost Mine of Phandelver, they discover hints of a threat lurking below the town. The heroes soon learn that the cult of a malevolent entity has set its sights on transforming Phandalin into the capital of its evil empire. To save the town from oblivion, the heroes must uncover a nefarious plot and confront the otherworldly cultists directly.
  • Offers new Dungeon Masters and players the opportunity to dive into their first full-fledged Dungeons & Dragons adventure
  • Retains the beloved Lost Mine of Phandelver quests that unfold into a brand-new adventure with classic D&D themes and a tinge of horror
  • Presents a bestiary with approximately two-dozen new creatures that showcase psionic magic, body horror, and more.
  • Provides a magic appendix that includes new consumable metamagic items, Netherese amulets, and duergar magic
  • Includes a double-sided poster map with the Phandalin region on one side and the town of Phandalin plus key encounters in the adventure on the other

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah I was gonna say, they seemed to have dialed back the factions as time went on. I think the faction push was more for AL than anything.
Storm King's Thunder was their last real Hurrah, as I recall, but tjr campaign book was a major breaking point for the 2014 product schedule in general, since Perkims was overwhelmed delivering 2 full story campaigns a year.

mamba

Legend
What bugs me is that so much is going on in one little village? Don't the PCs want to see the wider world? What kind of world-breaking conspiracy is going to be so attracted to nowheresville that it will power a campaign that will keep the PC's around for another bunch of levels?
there could be something in the Underdark below Phandalin, just because the town itself is small does not mean that nothing of importance can be / happen nearby

There is a reason Phandelver, and Icespire were starter adventures, they are supposed to launch the PC's starting in Phandalin out into the world, right?
DoIP goes up to level 13 with the additional stuff unlocked on DDB, so about as far as this module will

I was already on board for this before they mentioned "Netherese Amulets."

Now I absolutely need it.
Yeah that's got me excited. Super curious who the big bad is. Wondering if we get to see Vecna make an appearance or Acererak. I get the feeling they are tide to the obelisk..

September is a ways off. Hopefully I can get the sunless citadel completed and then naturally add in the adventures book.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah that's got me excited. Super curious who the big bad is. Wondering of we get to see Vecna make an appearance.
Beddle & Grimm has declined to name two of the minis in their big box because of spoilers, which is interesting. Vecna was already nameddroped as being

related to the Netherse Obelisks found all over the Sword Coast, and we know that the big Campaign next year is a world hoppikg figjt against Becna, so Vecna adjacent seems highly probable e.

My game if anyone is interested. I'm DM cause I'm the only one that knows the rules we'll enough. The party is a Champion fighter, a battle Master, 2 druids with different subclasses, and a sorcerer. They have made their way to Phandelver per the book. I've mixed it up and started rumors about the Sunless Citadel. The party takes the bite and heads off to the location. They have befriended the kobold. Fought the goblins. Now the are in the Grove getting ready to fight the crazed druid and his tree
. I'm hoping that this book will let take this starter adventure and seamlessly pivot the party to the new issues the next book will have. Trying not to get over hypesd but I really want to turn it into a full blown campaign. I'm really hopping Vecna makea an appropriate. That would get my wife and kids super stoked since they know who he is.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
  • Retains the beloved Lost Mine of Phandelver quests that unfold into a brand-new adventure with classic D&D themes and a tinge of horror
I wonder what this actually means in terms of actual content but hopefully it's not reusing old adventures up to 6th level since;

Lost Mine of Phandelver is level 1-5
Phandelver and Below: The Shattered Obelisks is level 1-12

Remove ads

Remove ads