• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Physical storage of drawings?

Cor Azer

First Post
So... I've been trying to get back into sketching again (I seem to go through prominent phases once a season... I have far too many hobbies, but that's another story...). And if I had a scanner, I'd probably try throwing a few up here for commentary and critiquing, but I'd be hard-pressed to scrounge up the money for a scanner right now.

Anyways, I'm actually moving beyond just simple pencil sketches in my spiral bound book now, using good quality paper, quill and ink, etc... nothing too fancy (in my opinion), but nice enough that I'd like to keep it around. I am, however, strictly at the amateur level, so I figured one of those portfolio satchels or whatever they are would be too much.

What sort of options are out there for decent storage of drawings (most are on 9" by 14" sheets)?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sirith

First Post
Agreeing with darkhall here. At that size a portfolio case is the best option and will make pretty sure they stay nice. What you should consider is what they are worth to you, not what they might be worth to the rest of the world ;)
You could look for plastic folders at that size as well, though the size might be a problem. Office stores might have some stuff like that.

Personally I use a plastic accordion folder with ten compartments (this is A4 or 8.3x11.7 inch sized) and a larger very simple portfolio case (something like http://www.dickblick.com/zz151/04/, you could make one like this yourself with some cardboard, ribbons and paper) which I barely use because I barely draw larger than A4 size.

CCThrom

First Post
If you're interested in keeping your drawings in reasonably nice condition, you should store them flat. So even if you get a portfolio you don't really want to use it for long term storage. The portfolio is for bringing your work with you.

If your'e not ready to invest in flat-file drawers... and I wouldn't suggest that unless you get really serious and are ready to drop some money and put aside some space for a good piece of furniture... I'd say look for large photo storage boxes. You should be able to find reasonably archival cardboard storage boxes at a photo store, or a craft store that has scrapbooking supplies.

Another thing I have that might work is a wooden box which doubles as a drawing board. You might find such a thing at an art supply store, but I don't remember how much it cost.

Cor Azer

First Post
Thanks for the help all!

Now, if only I could get my scanner working again to get some comments/critiques on my artwork...

Remove ads